Double towing in Oregon

Pyscokev

I'd like to go to the sand dunes in Oregon but I tow a 5th wheel and a flatbed trailer behind it with my toys. I live in CA and have the appropriate license and am the correct lengths. I've alwaya heard Oregon and Washington don't allow double towing but as I researched it found that many people do it in Oregon. Do they just hope to not get caught, get a permit, just not care? I'm looking for anyone with real life experience doing this and why it can or can't be done. Thanka for the help. 

Towing laws for the U.S.A. and Canada  may have the information you require to contact those states BMV. I do know that pdf is not complete  though; Indiana requires the 2 trailer to be a boat trailer behind a 5th wheel hitch trailer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I'm not sure what that means, would you be able to explain further? I got a commercial license to tow doubles since that was the only way to legally do it in California. I don't believe there is any non-commercial license that can include an endorsement for doubles. 

42 minutes ago, Pyscokev said:

I'm not sure what that means, would you be able to explain further? I got a commercial license to tow doubles since that was the only way to legally do it in California. I don't believe there is any non-commercial license that can include an endorsement for doubles. 

RV's don't run under Commercial laws, and your CDL doesn't cover you in an RV. You've only been lucky ,to no be pulled over.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

RV's don't run under Commercial laws, and your CDL doesn't cover you in an RV. You've only been lucky ,to no be pulled over.

CDL valid for both commercial and non-commercial driving.  How do you think truck drivers get home and back to work?  A lot of them also have RVs and I have know several who keep their CDLs up to date after retiring so they can pick up occasional work in retirement.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

44 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

CDL valid for both commercial and non-commercial driving.  How do you think truck drivers get home and back to work?  A lot of them also have RVs and I have know several who keep their CDLs up to date after retiring so they can pick up occasional work in retirement.  

What I meant was that Commercial endorsements don't carry over to RV's. Just like Commercial rules don't apply to RV's. Those with CDL's aren't required to run logbooks or track hours behind the wheel, in their RV's.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:17 PM, Pyscokev said:

I have been pulled over by both DOT and CHP. I fail to see how in my chevy truck, 5th wheel camper, and flatbed I'm not covered under my cdl. How do you figure? Please explain. Or are you talking about Oregon?

For non-commercial vehicles, private owner, etc., etc.

Double Tow has been legal in California for many years .  Req's a Class A and at least a one ton tow vehicle.

Was double towing LONG before the non-commercial class A, so  not sure if the NON-commercial class A license qualifies.

First off, I don't know that it's not legal and I'd like to learn why or why not. That's why I was asking and sounds like you don't know either nutinelse2do. 

Second, my truck is registered commercial and pretty sure my flatbed is as well. You need a commercial class a to have endorsements so I don't believe you can tow doubles with a non commercial license from California. 

Third, to double tow in California legally you don't need to have a one ton vehicle. 

Soooo, back to the question, what do I need to do to be legal to tow doubles in oregon? Dot #'s and everything that goes along with that? I don't understand the recreational vs commercial double towing. 

You have a CDL and a commercial truck and you have come to a RV forum to argue about what is legal or how to be legal?  Most of us know recreational laws. A few might have commercial licenses from other endeavors. When I needed requirements for driving I called the weigh and check stations.  They are usually up on current requirements, especially for commercial transport.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

My truck is a 2006 chevy duramax so maybe not what you would think of as a commercial truck if that helps. Also, I got my commercial license just so I can tow doubles legally in ca, this isn't my profession so I don't know all the laws and regs. That's why i come here, for some knowledge. 

I suggest that your best bet to know what is or isn't legal would be to start with the California DMV, and ask them since they issued your license. I have been watching this from the sidelines because I have no direct knowledge of the legal issues, but I can tell you that I have seen RVs with double tows in OR and CA both and never saw any indication that the LEOs there bother them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, Pyscokev said:

My truck is a 2006 chevy duramax so maybe not what you would think of as a commercial truck if that helps. Also, I got my commercial license just so I can tow doubles legally in ca, this isn't my profession so I don't know all the laws and regs. That's why i come here, for some knowledge. 

I have found the people at the weigh stations to generally know the current regulations for each state.  In fact I have received false advise from the DMV and non DOT officers.  The people that control commercial transportation and enforcement have to be up to date on regulations.  Since you believe the commercial designation on your truck makes a difference, I would call them.  The catch is each state may have different laws for roads within that state.  There is an agreement that allows drivers appropriately licensed in their home state to operate in other states but within the distant states laws.  In Colorado for instance RV's don't require special licenses or endorsements.  This applies to all RV's even large MH's and 5ers.  So we can operate vehicles in all states that allow these RV's but our home state road laws end at the border.

Randy

First off I will say take the advise you got from Chad on your thread in the HDT section.  Take my word for it, its his job to know the DOT rules especially in CA.  I don't know the rules in Oregon so I wont comment on them.  My knowledge for CA is that you need a lic. with doubles endorsement, first trailer needs to be a 5th wheel and neither trailer can be over 28' long.  I've had my CDL since 1975, (back then it was just called a class A). I to have towed double for recreation in CA for over 30 yrs off and on.  Only once have I been stopped while towing doubles in CA. (33' 5th wheel and short trailer with a quad on it heading for Pismo Dunes).  The officer reminded me that a trailer cant be over 28' long and let me go on my way.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I remember camping with a group in Minnesota when the double tow law passed here. People were very excited about being able to tow their boats behind a 5th wheel. This Land of 10,000 lakes is fishing country!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

51 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I remember camping with a group in Minnesota when the double tow law passed here. People were very excited about being able to tow their boats behind a 5th wheel. This Land of 10,000 lakes is fishing country!

Linda

Towing boats behind 5ers is popular, where allowed around lakes.  We used to do it.  We towed our boat mostly in Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nebraska and our home state of Colorado.  One time at Lake Mohave a group of people followed us to our campsite.  When we struck up a conversation I asked why they were all standing around.  Turns out they wanted to see how we backed the boat behind the 5er.  They were disappointed when we disconnected the boat and backed the 5er.  Then connected the boat to the truck.

Randy

20 hours ago, Pyscokev said:

As I said, call the OR DMV and inquire (request reply via email for your records), obviously Chad is the authority on this subject on these forums, if his advice does not suffice, none will.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Here is the actual law in Oregon.  It is section 818.110.  It states:

a)Drives or moves on a highway any combination of vehicles that consists of more than two vehicles.

If you drive a combination of more than two vehicles (tow vehicle, 5th wheel, and utility or boat trailer) in Oregon you are in violation.  In other words, you cannot legally do it.

There are exceptions to the law in section 818.120, but none of those exceptions apply to a pickup towing a 5th wheel and another trailer.  In other words, you cannot legally do it.

It doesn’t matter what is legal in California.  Oregon is a sovereign state that sets its own rules.  The only vehicle specific rules that have reciprocity in other states are drivers licenses and vehicle registration.  If you are properly licensed to drive your vehicle in your home state, then you can drive your vehicle in any state (not doubles though, just the vehicle) and if your vehicle is properly registered in your home state, it can legally be driven in any state.

People can give you any opinion they want and say they or their friend or someone they saw did it with no issues.  That doesn’t mean it is legal.  The specific law in Oregon says it is not legal.  You can choose to disregard the law and take your chances, but whether you get caught or not, know it is not legal to do.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Friend who is a retired Oregon State Police officer tells me of an incident several years ago when he heard a fellow officer report that he had issued warnings to TWO double towing rigs in Klamath Falls.  A few hours later another officer stopped the same two rigs in Bend and he also issued a warning (both officers told the drivers to drop there second tow and return to get it AFTER dropping their first tow).  My friend (stationed in Madras - 45 miles north of Bend) waited patiently and, sure enough, they passed through Madras still doubled up.  He issued citations to both and impounded both of the second tows.  Significant fine if I remember correctly plus impound fees.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited