ssd drives for 211z receiver

According to the company line from the Dish web site, solid state memory is not compatible with the receivers. Elsewhere on the internet, it looks like some people are using them. We still have a compact portable HDD (not externally powered) connected to our Wally. Be aware that some receivers require USB 2.0 and some USB 3.0.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks Rob, I too have seen others using a ssd and that is why we are confused.

Another question for you Rob. Since you have a Wally, can you watch one station and record another at the same time? Just in case we need a new receiver. Thanks again

lemnade, with the Walley and a HDD, you an only see one station as it has only one receiver.

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

4 hours ago, lemnade said:

Thanks Rob, I too have seen others using a ssd and that is why we are confused.

Another question for you Rob. Since you have a Wally, can you watch one station and record another at the same time? Just in case we need a new receiver. Thanks again

With an automatic antenna (which can only "see" one satellite at a time), the Wally is a single-tuner receiver. This means you cannot view a second channel while recording on the first. The geeks on the satellite TV forums report that, if you set it up with a three-LNB antenna (a fixed antenna with three nodes like used in a residential installation), the Wally actually has a second tuner and will allow you to watch one channel and record another. I've never tested this claim.

Rob

TIP: use "Quote" when replying as I have here if you want to ask a question of a specific person.

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

3 hours ago, Second Chance said:

With an automatic antenna (which can only "see" one satellite at a time), the Wally is a single-tuner receiver. This means you cannot view a second channel while recording on the first. The geeks on the satellite TV forums report that, if you set it up with a three-LNB antenna (a fixed antenna with three nodes like used in a residential installation), the Wally actually has a second tuner and will allow you to watch one channel and record another. I've never tested this claim.

Rob

TIP: use "Quote" when replying as I have here if you want to ask a question of a specific person.

Are you sure the Wally only has a single tuner? I have a Wally and can have its record 1 channelnwhile I watch another channel. That makes me think it has 2 tuners. When I use it at home with a dish with 3 feed horns I can record any channel while watching another. In the rv with a Pathway x2 dish I can only record another channel if it is on the same satellite as the channel I am watching.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

Pat, if it does it gets tricky.  Both shows have to be on the same satellite.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, jpatrickc said:

Are you sure the Wally only has a single tuner? I have a Wally and can have its record 1 channelnwhile I watch another channel. That makes me think it has 2 tuners. When I use it at home with a dish with 3 feed horns I can record any channel while watching another. In the rv with a Pathway x2 dish I can only record another channel if it is on the same satellite as the channel I am watching.

Pat

That's essentially what I said - but with a Pathway X2 the Wally will not allow us to watch a second channel - even it it's on the same satellite. Maybe a difference in firmware?

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015