adding air lock

GlennWest

Now not going to be doing this anytime soon but have not found it adressed on here. My old Freightshaker has a Meritor axle. Singled. Ratio is fine. 3:42. I can see the need for a locker. No problem yet but likely later. What is involved on my truck to upgrade to a locker? I looked at a Meritor one that uses a yoke to enguage a set of extra splines that is on axle. If that what I need I need that is complete rear axle replaced and plumbing. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

New longer spline axle shaft for the yoke side, pull carrier, cut out a half moon shape in the axle housing flange for the yoke to fit through.  Then either drop in a complete locking carrier or dig into building yours up with the locking spider, etc.  It has to come all apart and be re-shimmed to get the new side gears in, so might as well put in new pinion bearings, carrier bearings, R&P, etc at that point....

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Wonder if a salvaged axle assy could be found. 

All day, every day. Yards full of them. Just need to pick your diff ratio, and suspension style. Now's your chance too step up to Pete Low Leaf. ;)

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Leaf, not lift. Arguably the best riding suspension in the HDT world. No torque rise on acceleration, no drop on trailing throttle. Fairly easy to retro-fit, and common as dirt.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The thing about it is that you know where your hubs have been for the last 10 years.  You know they are tight and true, got good seals, and not been smoked.  You know your slacks are adjusted up and will stay adjusted up.  You know your tower is straight and not cracked.  You know your axle tubes aren't cracked (kinda common on 4 bags - watch out for that).  You might have brake bias issues (or improvements?) if you put an RSD braked axle on your old truck.  Short of the clearance notch, nothing on the housing changes so it might not be worth introducing a bunch of crashed truck parts that aren't related to your end goal.  Most importantly you don't have to play Spiderman under the truck with 450 ft lb U-bolts.  That freakin sucks.

That all assumes 20K to 20K.  If you are wanting to change to a 23K then it all changes.  It is a whole different carrier size, slacks, etc, etc and then might be worth a whole rear cutoff.  Or if you need to take it all apart to change axle seats from a bad singling it might kinda become worth it.  This isn't so true on the RT40's, but on the new 40K Meritors nobody really orders them with rear lockers.  They are only built with fwd axle lockers.  I'm not saying it is impossible (I don't think), but it is just rare and maybe kind of hard to find used.  I have never really quite figured out why that is.

I'm fine on the weights. Yes, it's a 20k. Yes, you said a mouthfull. Better to upgrade mine. Got message I have been locked out of DTNA forever. So can't get part numbers now. Don't know why. Got disabled one time due to low usage but not "forever".

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Guess long story short, long as your door sticker says RT40-145, get you:

This: https://holsttruck.com/parts/details?part=82858505

And this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MERITOR-FREIGHTLINER-AXLE-SHAFT-RH-LONG-3202U9485/123828288510?hash=item1cd4bdbbfe:g:BU8AAOSw4e1dIrNL

Put em in, plumb it, move your yoke across, and refill.  Be sure to pre-fit shaft into difflock collar and side gear first (engage both splines) before dropping it in the housing, then lock it on with air through all the rest of the work till the axle shaft is finally in for good, or you'll be hating life at shaft install time later.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, GlennWest said:

But I have a freightshaker. 

Don't matter. Frame is all the same. Just bolt it on. Find a cut off with the gears you want and change the whole thing.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.