First time buyer

Twotoes

My son is wanting to buy a trailer for his family to go weekend camping and one week vacations. He has a Ford F-150 eco boost truck already. With a wife and two kids, boy 10, girl 6, he needs a bath with shower for the wife and bunk beds for the kids. I know nothing about trailers. Any recommendations on brands and models. He’s looking for something used in the 2018 to 2010 range for around $5,000 to $15,000. Thanks for your help. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I also have a truck like that. While very capable, once you load it with a family and all the "stuff", it leaves very little margin for the trailer, which will itself be loaded to, or past, the max.

He needs to load up the wife, kids, dog, etc. and go get it weighed.  Find the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight for that truck and start doing the math.  Don't be surprised if a pop-up is the final answer.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  We camped with our kids in a pop-up for many years, and they have good memories from those times.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Having shopped the used travel trailer market last year, I doubt that he is going to find much at the low end of his budget. I am thinking that he might be better served by looking at hybrid trailers since they weigh less and there are several that have 3 outboard beds. Our son used one of those from KZ for about 5 years with great success. Rockwood also builds them as does Jayco. Remember that with any used RV, condition is the most important factor. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI