New SpaceX launch: Starlink closes in on 800 internet-beaming satellite target for US service

Yep, old timer's moment posting in a rush to get to Littleton Tesla. Here it is in our small two car garage.

cFUJsrdl.jpg

Here it is next to the 2019 Subaru Forester. Now the Baja is out front and going up for sale .

cGGnGYdl.jpg

Tomorrow is for driving and learning to use the menus. It's like getting a new phone with a different OS. No biggie just have to establish muscle memory for the screen. I did get my music from my phone working with it, as well as navigation to my door. I'm still running and finally starting to feel sleepy.

I did charge it and found the outlet worked fine. And did a software update.

I also caught myself doing 90 in a 55 zone several times. Passing is crazy fast! And no need for the side mirrors as there are cameras 360 around it and it shows traffic around me on the screen in motion. No need to glance back to check blind spots to change lanes, it's in front on the screen.

The handling is amazing. But I keep remembering the very fast launches accelerating. The closest but not even close was my 1973 911 Targa I restored back in 1986. I sold it when I got orders to Germany because it was US specs for 55 mph and ate a lot of fuel at high speeds.brought the non-smog 1978 Dodge little Red Truck to Germany. Boy did it get stares driving around Europe for the seven years we were assigned to Spang. My wife had several Mercedes and  BMW 525i as well as the 96 Harley Electra Glide Classic we got for a big discount from Harley for US Military overseas.

This is not our first high end performance rodeo, still, all I can say, is wow!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

A buddy who used to have a European mechanic shop and currently has a Boxster and a GT3 called last week to say his son just got a Tesla.  Forgot to ask which model.  He said he was blown away how fast it was!  Pretty impressive considering how fast the GT3 is.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

I also caught myself doing 90 in a 55 zone several times. Passing is crazy fast!

Reminds me of the time I borrowed a Corvette.  I was driving through a rural area late at night and glanced down at the speedometer.  I was shocked to see I was going 130 MPH in a 55 zone. 😱  It is very easy to exceed the speed limit in a high performance vehicle because they don't feel like they are going that fast.

Safe Travels (or not)...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Serious thread hijacking. Seems this thread needs to have the topic changed to Telsa and other vehicle comments and not about Space X. Chuck

Edited by chuckbear

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

On 6/20/2020 at 6:53 AM, folivier said:

A buddy who used to have a European mechanic shop and currently has a Boxster and a GT3 called last week to say his son just got a Tesla.  Forgot to ask which model.  He said he was blown away how fast it was!  Pretty impressive considering how fast the GT3 is.

folivier,

Man they are! My son rents exotic cars for 200-400 an hour. here: https://www.oxotic.com/fleet/

Why get it second hand. The Tesla folks are anxious to let you drive their cars for an hour for free! Just find the nearest showroom on your route.

(On Edit: Hey Forest, your blog is very good! I enjoyed the videos of the geysers and your blog posts. The link is in his profile)

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 6/20/2020 at 8:09 AM, k4rs said:

Reminds me of the time I borrowed a Corvette.  I was driving through a rural area late at night and glanced down at the speedometer.  I was shocked to see I was going 130 MPH in a 55 zone. 😱  It is very easy to exceed the speed limit in a high performance vehicle because they don't feel like they are going that fast.

Safe Travels (or not)...

:P:lol:  (or not!) Indeed. A friend of mine came back from Vietnam with permanent damage to his left leg. He was medically retired 100% and decided to get himself a good used car cash. This was '68 or '69. He had bought a 1966 red Corvette rag top with the big block 427, 4 on the floor. He drank way too much and never let anyone drive his 'Vette. Until one night, he wanted me to try it. I wound up and dropped smoke on launch and looked down and I was doing 50 or 60 mph in first gear!!! He had told me to wind up first and then power shift into 2nd. I did and as anyone who's driven them knows when you hit second gear hard, the torque of the engine trying to twist out of the sheer power lifted one side of the body. Very noisy mechanicals, glass pack exhaust, fiberglass body rattles and flex. was scary. But for some the noise is part of the thrill. It was for me too in my teens and early 20s. I married into my wife's 289 '66 canary yellow mustang. I had my Triumph Daytona 500 and MG Midget Mk II with sliding side drapes (Windows) and removeable soft top. Lynn was pregnant with our first son later and she could barely get in it. At six feet I didn't get in it as much as put it on! LOL. But she loved my Midget so I took over the Mustang and immediately put dual cherry bomb glass packs and chrome reverse oversize wheels on it. It had a three on the floor and an under dash stock A/C unit that worked great. Later in life I preferred quiet. I rode first a Silver Wing full dress and then two Goldwings. And later an Electra Glide classic with quiet mufflers.

The Y is faster, and no twisting, torque, or noise other than the tires on the road. I did not have time to get scared until I realized and let off and let the regen braking bring it back down to the legal limit. Roger, you gotta try this. I will never again put the pedal to the metal to pass! NO need.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, chuckbear said:

Serious thread hijacking. Seems this thread needs to have the topic changed to Telsa and other vehicle comments and not about Space X. Chuck

Chuck,

First off if you think things are being done wrong go to the top of this page, click on "Guidelines."

"Rule #8: No Thread Hijacking. Thread hijacking is taking over someone's thread, attacking or questioning the Original Poster's post in order to ruin the thread."

The topic is the Starlink System  and the RVrs need for mobile high speed broadband. You quoted the FCC chairman who said it hasn't been done or proven. That is the point. Space X does not want your subsidy just the licenses to serve currently under served. That the Cable company, DSL company, and even cell companies don't cover yet, but have ignored for decades. I'm sure it was hard to lay all our national electric systems and landlines for phones too. But today, relatively speaking most have electricity, Nat. Gas, landline phones.

And when folks say it can't go mobile and Musk said it will, well no way better to make it happen faster is to tell Musk things like:

No one can make an electric car that will be luxurious and as fast as Porsche, or faster.

You can't get enough batteries made.

There is no charging infrastructure.

You can't build an American Rocket engine and launch vehicle yourself.

You can't design build and launch your own rocket engines in five years.

They are scared he will succeed and now the fight gets nasty between the folks trying to complain about gov't net neutrality and regulation being bad to regulate in favor of regular Americans. Regulations that hinder their competition they are all for.

For threads you start I sure would not object if you explored all facets of a  RV topic and went with the flow. be either complain to the Admins here or block the individual. Hijacking is taking over someone else's thread , attacking or questioning  the OP in order to ruin the thread.

"Rule #3: If you have any concerns, questions, or problems contact an Admin. Going public with your grievances is automatic grounds to be banned, regardless of your warn status."

"Rule #7: If someone starts a thread that you don't like or if it's just someone who annoys you try to avoid it. Don't feed the trolls! Use the ignore function under My Settings->Profile->Manage Ignored Users"

But please don't violate the rules to claim to be asking for their enforcement.

If you can't find the "Guidelines" link above then just click here:  http://www.rvnetwork.com/guidelines/

I hope that helps.

Safe Posting and travels

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV_, Explain to me how bragging about and showing pictures of your Tesla and discussing other automobiles has ANYTHING to do with the Starlink topic. Your statement "But please don't violate the rules to claim to be asking for their enforcement"  is neither helpful nor factual and does not apply here. If you believe it does, fell free to report my post. But I would like to see this thread get back on topic as I find it very informative. Hope this helps. Chuck

Edited by chuckbear

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

As the OP I disagree. Why not start your own? Like Burger King, then you can have it your way. No I don't need to report your post. :P

Several of us here have been around since the beginning of the forums in 1999 and then the current format in 2000 or so. We've seen the wannabe admins try to tell others how to post come and go here for two decades. Why are you bragging by showing pictures of your rig?

I already explained that the topic is mobile RV broadband by Musk's Sapce X who made the comment it would be mobile as I posted. And the Teslas he brought to market are another end goal of the Starlink system he also brought to market.

So there, the dots are connected again for you.

I do like your toad however. Now I am going to brag again! Stop reading.

I sold my HHR last year in preparation for our move. Warning! Here comes another picture! (Persons who are easily disturbed and try to tell others how to post may want to cover their eyes! ) I thought that Chevy captured the "look" of the custom hot-rodded old 1949 or so Chevy panels vans hot-rodders built in the 50s and 60s. So I had the traditional ot Rod flames done on mine as a wrap.

zcAoA3Kl.jpg

X3xFYxEl.jpg

Please carry on. Have a nice day. <grin>

Please refer to the Guidelines above again about this being a drama free zone. And I reiterate that the OP, in this case me, cannot hijack his own thread. I suggest you block my posts and/or not read them. The pics were for friends here who actually are not jealous and don't call being happy with a new toy bragging. I will continue to enjoy posting here and will post about Musk's mobile stated plans for Starlink despite folks claiming it won't be mobile now with the big ugly dish, or eventually as planned by Musk. Not even the commercial writers of tech can see the future. But with Musk, if he says unequivocally he will do it, he hasn't failed yet. R&D crashing rockets to perfect tail down landings were not fails just R&D. I would believe his claim that it will be perfect when done for mobile applications too.

Right now his Space X folks are doing R&D on intranet-constellation laser communications.What they are trying to do, once they have done the R&D, will require far fewer ground stations.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I believe we have some 'thread drift' going on, and it is a bit off the original rail, but its not 'thread hijacking', by definition, the OP cant really hijack his own thread.

Or at least I dont see it. 

I like a good, interesting roundtable discussion, and occasionally drifting around the original topic is much of the entertainment I get from these forums. Sometimes the fan-boys are passionate enough that we get to throw them a curve-ball and things get interesting, as we see here.

By no means am I drinking the Elon Musk brand of Tesla or Starlink Kool-Aid, I will remain a skeptical observer for awhile...lets see how this all goes. 

Nothing to see here. 

8 hours ago, podwerkz said:

Sometimes the fan-boys are passionate enough that we get to throw them a curve-ball and things get interesting, as we see here.

And Vice Versa.

But But But you are off topic. This thread was a bout Starlink, which is launched by Space X, which was launched by Musk who launched the Tesla about the same time as he started SpaceX on selling PayPal with his PayPal Mafia, and SpaceX started Launching rockets , which launched recoverable first stages, which launched the first American astronauts in years, who launches Starlink.

It's all good Pod.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

The Starlink launch scheduled for tomorrow has pushed out to Thursday due to weather conditions. Thursday looks questionable as well.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/os-bz-spacex-starlink-tuesday-launch-preview-20200622-qijy32ahtbglhnp3sdgo7swdmi-story.html

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I've actually seen the Starlink chain of satellites crossing the evening sky after a launch a few months ago....I have to say, that was very cool to watch.

But I'm not an astronomer using millions of dollars of equipment trying to dig out a few pixels of light from a distant galaxy far, far away.

Nothing to see here. 

So see Other topics for a discussion of the Tesla Model Y with pics. ;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998