Microsoft is blocking the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on lots of devices

RV_

Last month's Windows late update had real issues and is being withheld from systems with known issues.

Excerpt:

"Microsoft is preventing a large number of devices from updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. While the software company released the update last week, Microsoft has quietly acknowledged that there are a number of known issues preventing the update from being installed on a variety of PCs.

Microsoft has a list of 10 issues it’s currently investigating, and 9 of them have resulted in a “compatibility hold” which stops the Windows 10 May 2020 Update from being installed via Windows Update. One issue involving unexpected errors or reboots with always-on, always-connected devices, affects devices like Microsoft’s Surface Pro 7 or Surface Laptop 3.

If you’ve been checking Windows Update for the May 2020 Update and not seeing anything, then it’s likely that your device is being blocked or throttled from updating. Microsoft has also added a warning to Windows Update over the weekend for devices that aren’t ready to be updated."

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/1/21276653/microsoft-windows-10-may-2020-update-block-known-issues-list

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

This is the message I have on my Updates screen:

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time.

I love the circumlocution..."your device isn't quite ready for it."  Real meaning "once again Microsoft failed to adequately test an update and serious harm will come to your device if you try to use it!"  🤕

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Well my main PC did the Windows 10 version 2004 on it's own and I downloaded the image to update the other PCs.

Two more done, 1 to go.

Edited by Mark and Dale Bruss

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Is this it?

I got a 0X00f0831 install error for KB4549951, on my HP W10 laptop; not just once several times. I don't think it ever installed, stops near 48% install.

Update: That update downloaded and installed finally.. Now the update page states in red " your computer is missing important security and quality updates", and will not install,  2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4556799) - Error 0x800f0831

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Mine doesn't even try to install it. It just says when my system is ready for it it will then be installed. It doesn't download it either. One desktop is AMD chipset from the 5th gen Intel time period.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

It's odd, this laptop gets to 100% install then  says cannot install. When I ran sfc/scannow the results said all files are OK. My desktop has installed that update, yet when I  used command prompt to run sfc/scannow, it found and corrected corrupted Windows files. I wonder what happened to my laptop  missing update files?

Nothing to do but wait and see what happens I guess.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Agreed, beats me too. 

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Dennis the statement " your computer is missing important security and quality updates"  Yes it is in red, puzzles me. I had not turned that HP laptop on for perhaps 3-4 months. Like I said, I'll just wait for something to happen. There is an alternative, run a Refresh for W10, but I'd rather not entail the work involved to get back my old software and the entire slate of updates.

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Dennis the statement " your computer is missing important security and quality updates"  Yes it is in red, puzzles me. I had not turned that HP laptop on for perhaps 3-4 months. Like I said, I'll just wait for something to happen. There is an alternative, run a Refresh for W10, but I'd rather not entail the work involved to get back my old software and the entire slate of updates.

I just updated a laptop that had not been turned on since October and that statement came up after "check for updates" in settings for me.   The updates installed and sometime in the next couple weeks I will install the feature update to 1909.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

5 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

I just updated a laptop that had not been turned on since October and that statement came up after "check for updates" in settings for me.   The updates installed and sometime in the next couple weeks I will install the feature update to 1909.  

Me too (in progress while I'm posting).  Since I still have 7GB left on my hotspot plan, with a new billing cycle starting on June 9, I decided to update all the old stuff, including 1909. This for my old Thinkpad T410, which doesn't have an internal battery.

There's nothing in the 2004 update that I really need.  So until MS stops suggesting not to install the 2004 update on my other PCs,  I won't.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

They specifically mentioned my Surface Pro 7 as needing some firmware updates first. None of my systems have tried to download it yet. They all took the regular updates last Tuesday fine.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998