Being a traveling substitute teacher in retirement.

Hello,

I am still a number of years away from retirement as a teacher but I have had an idea running in my head for a while and wanted to see if anyone has any opinions or experience.  it is very common for teachers to become substitutes when they retire.  this allows them to make some money and avoid using some of their retirement for awhile.  Often they begin retiring in the school district they taught in.  I would like to travel around the US once I retire and I figure if i am going to be a substitute, why substitute in the same area i have lived for 30 years?  So my thought has been for my wife and I (she is an english teacher) to live in a 5th wheel and go to different parts of the country and live there for 3 or 4 months and substitute to make extra money and yet be able to explore areas.  i would like to visit areas that have a number of smaller towns or cities within 60 miles or something of each other so i have options to substitute often if i wanted.  My wife would do the same or being and English teacher she could teach online.   

Anyway, I am wondering if this seems like something that could be a possibility for retirement?  What would the cost, i realize depending on area, of a monthly RV spot in a park cost?  What else am I not thinking of?

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful

thank you

Garry 

You need to check out teaching requirements that would be needed.  I would guess each state has different ones.  It sounds like a fantastic idea though.  Good luck.

As to a monthly RV park rate it depends on many things such as location and amenities.  For a basic in a small town I would say $350 and up.

You're on the Escapees site and they have very reasonable parks to stay.

https://www.escapees.com/benefits/rv-parking/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The other part of the question is, would school districts be willing to hire a substitute teacher who was only planning to be available for a few months before moving on to the next community or state? I suspect the answer to that would depend upon how difficult it is for that district to find qualified substitutes. I have known quite a few retired teachers who substitute and even one retired engineer who does but none of them travel around during the school year. I would state by asking at the district office where you now work to see if they would consider someone from another state who was doing as you hope to do. They probably could at least give some advice. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, substitute teaching is one of the things working RVers do. The requirements for being a substitute are quite lax. Since you have teaching credentials and experience, you are already ahead of the pack. You'll likely need to have background checks done, but if you are an upstanding citizen, that shouldn't be a problem. Once you are set up with a school district, you may be able to spend time in various communities, all within that district. For example, in the Kenai Peninsula school district (in Alaska) the district includes Seward, Soldotna, and Homer--it's about 165 miles from Seward to Homer, with those two towns being on opposite sides of the peninsula. The biggest problem that I've heard about is that substitute teachers are in such high demand that the RVers tend to end up working more than they intended. As to campground costs, some RVers combine substitute teaching with doing "work in exchange for an RV site" deal, so they aren't paying out of pocket.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

My wife and I are retired educators. We do pretty well on living off our pension. We spend a little more then the pension, but we sold our house and banked the proceeds and draw from that when we need to. We still have a BCBS PPO insurance through the state. And SS will kick in in 3 more years. So then we should be banking money every month. 
With what is happening in the world today, why would you want to take the Chance and expose yourself to Covid? I know the states say that they need to reduce class sizes, but not sure if any could afford it. As it would require hiring a ton more teachers and expanding all of there schools. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Last winter I hired on as a spare school bus driver in the S. Texas area. The school district was so short on drivers, that they invested CDL training, medical exam and the hiring process to hire me. I told them I was only in the area for 3 months as a winter Texan but they were having the bus superintendent covering the spare driver position. I do plan to return next winter for another 3 month stay and hope to rehire again as a spare driver.  Two 3 hr shifts/day that paid $15/hr + benefits and no state income tax. We volunteered 12/hr/week each at a nearby RV resort that also that included a free site. It was a neat experience!

Edited by gjhunter01

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the great information....i am not really worried about requirements.  the little bit of research i have done, many states dont even require any type of license so i am confident with our background. I think as gjhunter01 said, schools are desperate for subs in any capacity so being in an area for a limited time shouldnt be a big deal.   i can see the income tax thing being an issue some.  i would hope to just substitute for 5 or so years to give my SS more time before i take it out.  I like what Coleen mentioned about maybe some type of deal for "housing" in an RV park with the school districts.  I teach in a school district with 5 high schools or 2000+ students in each and we are desperate for subs so i would think smaller communities are just as bad if not worse so they maybe open to experience teachers being willing to help out. 

but i still have 13 years to prepare and research 

thank you

Heck, if RNs can make a nice living by traveling, there must be a way for teachers to do it too.

NOW, if only I can figure out to make a living in my RV as a contractor/fabricator/welder.  Takes so many tools and equipment and I dont have an HDT.

Marcel

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2020 at 6:23 PM, rpsinc said:

Heck, if RNs can make a nice living by traveling, there must be a way for teachers to do it too.

NOW, if only I can figure out to make a living in my RV as a contractor/fabricator/welder.  Takes so many tools and equipment and I dont have an HDT.

I'm glad you said nice and not good. 

Rodney Lappin RN

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 6:23 PM, rpsinc said:

I carry a wire welder, torches and fab tools in my dually pickup truck bed which tows our fifth wheel. I also haul a full size Honda motorcycle on a attached swivel wheel trailer. Sorry to brag, but I have even swapped out a truck engine with just the tools I carry as a full timer. The point is that anything is possible if you have the desire. A quote once stated "only your mind will limit your accomplishments"

1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

I carry a wire welder, torches and fab tools in my dually pickup truck bed which tows our fifth wheel. I also haul a full size Honda motorcycle on a attached swivel wheel trailer. Sorry to brag, but I have even swapped out a truck engine with just the tools I carry as a full timer. The point is that anything is possible if you have the desire. A quote once stated "only your mind will limit your accomplishments"

I totally agree.  I have stepped up from my DRW truck to a Volvo 730 and am outfitting it with this:

DROMsmall.jpg

I am thinking I can have most of what I need with me, although I wont be able to carry my ironworker, band saw, welding table and much of the tools I have in my 3000SF shop, but I have to make some choices.  I know how difficult it can be to find welding services, so this is my way of helping out this RV community with the skills I have.  So many people share knowledge and experiences, I can at least do this.

Marcel