Elon Musk wins again!

RV_

How about that great launch yesterday, perfect docking with the ISS, and the perfect recovery of the first stage. Tesla also accelerated production after retooling to build more while closed. They apparently did very well in ramping up and setting up more production. Elon has been busy. My Model Y should be in by the middle of June/two weeks three tops. Next week we are driving up to the Mall and Tesla will have one I can drive. I lost $100 deposit two weeks before it was to be delivered when I drove it for a second time and it was just too low to the ground. I can get in and out OK, but the twist and stand pulls my lumbar enough to set off the nerves. Ouch. I am fine with my Pickups Chevy HHR and my new Forester we drive now. The Y is an SUV and if it is still too low despite it being a bit over an inch more ground clearance, then I lose a second $100 deposit and start looking at Model X used, as I am not financing and won't spend more than my two motor long range all wheel drive Model Y will cost. We are good on charging as we changed our house from 100 amp service to 200 and had the breakers/breaker box redone as well as the ground wires. All just to put in a charging outlet that takes a plug very much like the 50 AMP RV Plug. I am pretty sure the Y will do what I need in getting out without pulling a muscle or get nerve spasms.

But that launch was awesome no?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Yes! It was an awesome launch and docking! Did you see or hear anything about the fairings whether they were caught or recovered?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

That makes sense because the mini sat pods have fairings and are the ones they will launch a lot with StarLink which is ongoing. The Dragon offloads people and cargo via the only hatch. I hadn't thought about the fairings since mentioned in passing on one interview. I am glad we are off the Moscow tit for RD 180 RUSSIAN rocket engines which were what the ULA, Boeing and Lockheed, were using with their Atlas rockets.

This is the first manned capsule using made in America parts and US assembling. I don't think the ULA has one yet. Last I heard they were looking to license the RD180 and to then claim they are made by the ULA. Nope, not liking that.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, rollinbrian said:

No fairings on Dragon Crew/Cargo Capsules.  Good recovery landing on the 1st stage booster though.

Oops! You're right of course, I was looking at a satellite cargo photo when I wrote that...

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

Brian,

Maybe so!

Dutch, I think with the number of launches required for the complete StarLink sat constellation of close to 8000 satellites, is what drove the recovery of fairings. For all the satellite deployments that savings made by recovering the fairings becomes significant. Once the BFR stops blowing up on test runs of the engines they could set up cargo then fairing returns with the big capsules. They need it anyway for the Mars assembly station and launch for Mars staging point unless they abandoned that idea.

So many details, so few brain cells firing in sync with the others! LMAO! No illness, I've been that way since I was born.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

11 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Brian,

Maybe so!

Dutch, I think with the number of launches required for the complete StarLink sat constellation of close to 8000 satellites, is what drove the recovery of fairings. For all the satellite deployments that savings made by recovering the fairings becomes significant. Once the BFR stops blowing up on test runs of the engines they could set up cargo then fairing returns with the big capsules. They need it anyway for the Mars assembly station and launch for Mars staging point unless they abandoned that idea.

So many details, so few brain cells firing in sync with the others! LMAO! No illness, I've been that way since I was born.

All good points as usual... I hope SpaceX gets past the current "fail and fix" run pretty soon. I understand SN5 isn't far from completion and just awaiting the pad to be cleared for reuse.

Dutch

It's all snowballing faster for all Musk's endeavors Dutch!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 5/31/2020 at 7:38 PM, RV_ said:

...... a charging outlet that takes a plug very much like the 50 AMP RV Plug.

Just kind of curious, with a whole tearup and a clean sheet build-up, why choose a slower L2 EVSE instead of a Tesla wall charger?  Another car?  Flexibility for visitors with their own mobile charger?  Retired and have all day to charge? 😄

1 hour ago, Scrap said:

Just kind of curious, with a whole tearup and a clean sheet build-up, why choose a slower L2 EVSE instead of a Tesla wall charger?  Another car?  Flexibility for visitors with their own mobile charger?  Retired and have all day to charge? 😄

My Tesla came with a 14/50 adapter for the charging cable. I can use my 50 amp RV receptacle at home to charge. Car will accept 32 amps at 240 volts, Not as fast as a Tesla wall charger,  but did not cost me the $1000+ to buy and wire. It will recharge my car at 20+ miles per hour, so far more than my  daily use when charging overnight.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I put barely 6k miles on my new in March 2019 including the drive up to Colorado once my house sold, in one year. There are days I never leave my property, weeks too. And that was before Covid19. I'll be driving more  just playing with it and learning it. And we will have the Forester for hauling too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998