To get a newer truck?

lappir

There is a winner. I won't say who for a few days. Will give Nigel the chance to take a guess. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

9 hours ago, Nigel said:

68/86

Nigel, 

My youngest brother was born in 1962 so you didn't choose the correct one. My oldest children were born in in 1976 a year after High School Graduation in 1975. While it has been common in my area too for people to consider retirement at age 65, I think my "Social Security" lists my retirement age at 67 to get the "highest" benefit. I do think sometimes I could pass for someone younger and actually fooled an age guesser at a carnival once in my 30's. He picked me at 21, but I had a much younger friend and her two young children milling around me at the time. Pretty sure when we met it was just me. Thanks again for the complement. I'll try to not act my age. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

I have to say I am not as into HDTs as many here, but I own a 2000 FL C112 and a 2012 International Prostar, and while neither of these are Volvos I would say do whatever it is you can to stay with a Pre Emissions truck, especially for an RV.  The emissions are super complicated and any time the light comes on it needs to go to a certified repair facility and have a clean bill of health before it can leave.  The new truck is nice, but I would stay pre emissions 

22 hours ago, house said:

I have to say I am not as into HDTs as many here, but I own a 2000 FL C112 and a 2012 International Prostar, and while neither of these are Volvos I would say do whatever it is you can to stay with a Pre Emissions truck, especially for an RV.  The emissions are super complicated and any time the light comes on it needs to go to a certified repair facility and have a clean bill of health before it can leave.  The new truck is nice, but I would stay pre emissions 

I'm hoping to work out all the bugs on the truck while someone else owns it and pay's me to drive it. Once it's ready for the easy life, maybe I will be in a position to do the same. I agree with the fact most older trucks are easier to work on, but they will also require more  and more work as they continue to age. I have been very lucky so far with my 2001 Volvo that has been retired from the hard work for over 7 years now and maybe nearing 10 years. The hardest thing with it now is having to sit for months at a time before being asked to pick up my stuff and move me to the next location. Hopefully when "WE" retire we can still move every month or so and not have to do the 1000 miles in 24 hours like we have done for a while. 

Thanks for your post and comment. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 9/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, lappir said:

I am pretty sure I would like the driving part, especially when there is a destination in mind and a time frame to get there. I have seen a lot of the USA so far, but would like to see a lot more, while I still can. I have very much enjoyed my Travel Nursing Career, but am thinking it's time to actually start moving more often and not going back to the same places over and over. 

Based on my memory of what our daughter said, driving the same route back and forth pays well. Especially if that route crosses the border between the USA and Canada. She drive a company truck, though. The last time we talked about her route she said her job felt safe because she's driving toilet paper one way and bullet packing the other--no longer a route that crosses the border, though. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van