How many have left Facebook?

lappir

I was on facebook for a couple of years around 2010.  It was nice to catch up with some people whom I hadn’t had contact with for a few decades.  Then I became uncomfortable with the amount of personal information that was asked of me.  I left and haven’t been back.  I don’t miss it, and I don’t think I’m missing anything by not being on it.  The people who are important to me have my email address.

It is my personal belief that those who participate on FB, Twitter, et al., will live to regret it someday.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, jcussen said:

Personally don't use any social media except for how-to videos.

And rv forums

9 minutes ago, USMCRet said:

I was on facebook for a couple of years around 2010.  It was nice to catch up with some people whom I hadn’t had contact with for a few decades.  Then I became uncomfortable with the amount of personal information that was asked of me.  I left and haven’t been back.  I don’t miss it, and I don’t think I’m missing anything by not being on it.  The people who are important to me have my email address.

It is my personal belief that those who participate on FB, Twitter, et al., will live to regret it someday.

My wife uses it, she has only given her name, no other personal info. 

Once on the internet always on the internet. https://askleo.com/the-internet-is-forever/

• Trying to hide things online often only bring it more attention. It’s called the Streisand Effect.
  • Anything you post can be copied, and likely is being copied within moments, by search engines, archives, and other third parties.
  • Sharing information online, even with privacy restrictions, puts you at the mercy of those you share with.
  • Services that back up their data make copies when they do, which includes your data on that service.
  • Once posted, it’s pragmatically impossible to delete all copies of your data.
  • You can’t access the remaining copies, but they could still come back to haunt you.

Here is an interesting website called the Wayback Machine  https://archive.org/web/  I have searched websites that have been closed for years and the info is still there.

1 hour ago, Velos said:

Once on the internet always on the internet. https://askleo.com/the-internet-is-forever/

• Trying to hide things online often only bring it more attention. It’s called the Streisand Effect.
  • Anything you post can be copied, and likely is being copied within moments, by search engines, archives, and other third parties.
  • Sharing information online, even with privacy restrictions, puts you at the mercy of those you share with.
  • Services that back up their data make copies when they do, which includes your data on that service.
  • Once posted, it’s pragmatically impossible to delete all copies of your data.
  • You can’t access the remaining copies, but they could still come back to haunt you.

Here is an interesting website called the Wayback Machine  https://archive.org/web/  I have searched websites that have been closed for years and the info is still there.

I know google collects info on my searches, I can tell by the ads I receive, but how does u-tube collect any personal information?

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

49 minutes ago, jcussen said:

I know google collects info on my searches, I can tell by the ads I receive, but how does u-tube collect any personal information?

From the horses mouth :

"YouTube is an American online video-sharing platform headquartered in San Bruno, California. Three former PayPal employees—Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim—created the service in February 2005. Google bought the site in November 2006 for US$1.65 billion; YouTube now operates as one of Google's subsidiaries."

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, kurtsara said:

My wife uses it, she has only given her name, no other personal info. 

She must have joined  a long time ago.  And I bet they have mined much more information about her by now. They can get a lot of information about you from the people and entities you interact with. Name and zip code or telephone alone can get them just about everything about you out there.

Though Google is convenient there are other browsers, https://www.searchenginejournal.com/alternative-search-engines/271409/ it can be quite an eyeopener to search your own name, phone number or address online and see what comes up.  Also try searching a relative and you will probably see your name come up connected to them.

There is a plethora of public records that are collected and sold on the internet.  Below are several sites that provide teasers for free, and additional info for a price:

Public Records Providers Reviews
  • Intelius Review.
  • PeopleFinders Review.
  • eVerify Review.
  • Check People Review.
  • US Search Review.
  • People Smart Review.
  • FreebackgroundCheck.org Review.
  • Spokeo Review.

https://backgroundchecks.org/public-records

Websites tracking browser history.  This is how:  https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computers-and-internet/xcae6f4a7ff015e7d:online-data-security/xcae6f4a7ff015e7d:user-data-tracking/a/browsing-history

Can you be tracked on Youtube? This is how: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-tracked-youtube-32762.html

5 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

From the horses mouth :

"YouTube is an American online video-sharing platform headquartered in San Bruno, California. Three former PayPal employees—Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim—created the service in February 2005. Google bought the site in November 2006 for US$1.65 billion; YouTube now operates as one of Google's subsidiaries."

Realize that because do get ads from google, but how do they get my private information? I guess google could do a search, but how can they get my ss#, credit card info etc if I not entered it into any site that google can access?

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

5 hours ago, jcussen said:

Realize that because do get ads from google, but how do they get my private information? I guess google could do a search, but how can they get my ss#, credit card info etc if I not entered it into any site that google can access?

Do you get automatic deposit of SS payments to your bank? Do you ever use your credit card information to shop online? Most of us gave no thought to using those sites and others when they were new and don't give much thought to using them now. How many people on here talk about their weapons and post where they are camped? How many of us talk here about our age, health and marital status? We tend to think of one another as friends but how many people on this site would we recognize if we came face to face with them? We just watched a multi-year, fictional series called Person of Interest based on the concept of Big Brother watching everything we do yet we still share freely. That's life as it is now and we are fooling ourselves if we think it's not.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Actually, most of the authors that I read consider the electronic bulletin board (or open forum) to hav been the first form of internet social media. 

A Brief History of Social Media Platforms

The website inc.com, has an interesting article about the subject.

Electronic Bulletin Boards

Even though I am probably toward the upper end of the age range of the active membership here, I have come to believe that what seems to be the majority opinion of social media here also reflects the fact that our average age is much higher than is the average age on most Facebook groups. I live in a senior citizens community and while even here the use of Facebook is growing, there are still some who are reluctant to use computers or smartphones, they tend to be the oldest residents. There are Facebook groups that are mostly aimed at the oldest of our citizens.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 hours ago, sandsys said:

Do you get automatic deposit of SS payments to your bank? Do you ever use your credit card information to shop online? Most of us gave no thought to using those sites and others when they were new and don't give much thought to using them now. How many people on here talk about their weapons and post where they are camped? How many of us talk here about our age, health and marital status? We tend to think of one another as friends but how many people on this site would we recognize if we came face to face with them? We just watched a multi-year, fictional series called Person of Interest based on the concept of Big Brother watching everything we do yet we still share freely. That's life as it is now and we are fooling ourselves if we think it's not.

Linda

I do get SS payments to my bank and have used my credit cards on HTTPS sites, never talk about weapons, locations etc online, and other than annoying emails and pop-ups relating to my search histories, have never been scammed or taken advantage of. Think in this day and age, some of your info will always be out there, but if you perform your due diligence you are less likely to be taken advantage of. I did watch Person of Interest when it was on regular TV and thought it was a great series but predicting people"s behavior and acting on it, is still in the far future.

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

The Yahoo Tetoner's site is shut down. Now that site is on facebook. So will have to use facebook to get on that forum. 

The entire Yahoo owners group content is being eliminated https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/16/20917710/yahoo-groups-deleting-all-content-upload-message-boards-email-communities

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Mark Zuckerberg shifted Facebook’s focus to groups after the 2016 election, and it’s changed how people use the site

Published Sun, Feb 16 20209:07 AM EST 

Key Points

• Facebook users are now engaging with more content from groups as part of the social network’s shift toward meaningful communities.

• Facebook says there are more than 400 million people in groups that they find meaningful as of April 2019, up from 100 million in February 2017.

• The company recently spent an estimated $10 million to run a 60-second commercial during Super Bowl LIV to promote Facebook Groups.

The complete article here:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/16/zuckerbergs-focus-on-facebook-groups-increases-facebook-engagement.html

The fact that you have an account with a Telco is all that is needed. They have all your details. From there "hackers" can look inside your world. Your only solution is to build your own network and connect it to nothing. Not even Facebook.

Edited by bruce t

OP here, surprised to see the continued discussions regarding FB, Social Media and all, but I am enjoying the read. 

I am leaving another travel position and will miss many of the friends I made during my stay. It's the first time leaving since closing my FB account and I did mention to some that I used to keep in touch through that method, but no longer do. Did offer them the option to call at any time, but told them if they texted me I would have to block them. I only have 250 text messages a month on my plan and while I have been warned  a couple of times that I was reaching my max, I have yet to exceed. 

Decided while writing this post to send an email to a few on the "Work Email" before it was disabled. I shared my personal email address and gave permission to post it to the remainder of the staff. I wonder how many will send me an email sharing their address..

19 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Actually, most of the authors that I read consider the electronic bulletin board (or open forum) to hav been the first form of internet social media. 

A Brief History of Social Media Platforms

The website inc.com, has an interesting article about the subject.

Electronic Bulletin Boards

Even though I am probably toward the upper end of the age range of the active membership here, I have come to believe that what seems to be the majority opinion of social media here also reflects the fact that our average age is much higher than is the average age on most Facebook groups. I live in a senior citizens community and while even here the use of Facebook is growing, there are still some who are reluctant to use computers or smartphones, they tend to be the oldest residents. There are Facebook groups that are mostly aimed at the oldest of our citizens.

Kirk, according to my youngest daughter (early 20's) FB is for the "Older Generation." My son (in his 40's) tried FB for a while, but wasn't happy with the number of "Updates" he would receive on a daily basis so he didn't stay long. My Oldest still has an account for multiple reasons. 

I would like to have a social media platform that could be tailored to the type of use I want, but to pay for it there has to  be some method. Despite advertising saying "Free, Free, Free", nothing is actually Free. There is a cost and it must be paid who pays is the question. It used to be the customer paid an appropriate fee for services rendered, then there came taxes that needed to be paid so there could be regulations regarding said services.  Then there came consultants (or managers) to tell you about how to do the service better and make more money doing it. They neglected to show their costs pretty much eliminated the fact that any of the money would remain in the providers pocket. History shows us all of this yet we still think we can find something for free. If you are still reading you have got this for free, but you only reap what you paid for it. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

3 hours ago, lappir said:

OP here, surprised to see the continued discussions regarding FB, Social Media and all, but I am enjoying the read. 

I am leaving another travel position and will miss many of the friends I made during my stay. It's the first time leaving since closing my FB account and I did mention to some that I used to keep in touch through that method, but no longer do. Did offer them the option to call at any time, but told them if they texted me I would have to block them. I only have 250 text messages a month on my plan and while I have been warned  a couple of times that I was reaching my max, I have yet to exceed. 

Decided while writing this post to send an email to a few on the "Work Email" before it was disabled. I shared my personal email address and gave permission to post it to the remainder of the staff. I wonder how many will send me an email sharing their address..

Kirk, according to my youngest daughter (early 20's) FB is for the "Older Generation." My son (in his 40's) tried FB for a while, but wasn't happy with the number of "Updates" he would receive on a daily basis so he didn't stay long. My Oldest still has an account for multiple reasons. 

I would like to have a social media platform that could be tailored to the type of use I want, but to pay for it there has to  be some method. Despite advertising saying "Free, Free, Free", nothing is actually Free. There is a cost and it must be paid who pays is the question. It used to be the customer paid an appropriate fee for services rendered, then there came taxes that needed to be paid so there could be regulations regarding said services.  Then there came consultants (or managers) to tell you about how to do the service better and make more money doing it. They neglected to show their costs pretty much eliminated the fact that any of the money would remain in the providers pocket. History shows us all of this yet we still think we can find something for free. If you are still reading you have got this for free, but you only reap what you paid for it. 

Rod

“Updates”

Adjust the settings 

I asked my wife who has had Facebook since 2008, she gets no emails or updates of any kind, agree might not even look at it for a week or two and never gets anything telling her to look. 

The Yahoo Tetoner's site is shut down. Now that site is on facebook. So will have to use facebook to get on that forum. 

There are actually two alternative list sites besides Yahoo: IO and Google so the list owner could move the list to one of those. The Boomers have a list on Yahoo that I wanted to join but cannot get a reply from anyone

Their politics is 'profit' above all else. Zuckerberg is very hard to pin down on the left/right spectrum, but what leftie has private dinners w/ Trump? https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/22/surprised-about-mark-zuckerbergs-secret-meeting-with-trump-dont-be

Well as the good book says, by their fruits you shall know them. And FB banning of only conservatives and their blocking news about the Hunter Biden corruption speaks loudly about what side he is on.

Government and companies collecting information on us is nothing new.   <smile> Think FICO score.   A more not well know is https://www.mibgroup.com/    a company owned by medical insurance companies that share you medical issues.    Scott  McNealy said years ago "There is no such thing as privaicy get over it'.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McNealy

My point is Facebook, Google et all should pay me for my personal information not make all the $$$.  I refuse to give it to them free.  <smile> but that's just me.

glen

5 minutes ago, colddog15 said:

My point is Facebook, Google et all should pay me for my personal information not make all the $$$.  I refuse to give it to them free.  <smile> but that's just me

I concur with your thoughts on this. BTW are you holding your baited breath.  

On 10/24/2020 at 8:17 AM, agesilaus said:

There are actually two alternative list sites besides Yahoo: IO and Google so the list owner could move the list to one of those. The Boomers have a list on Yahoo that I wanted to join but cannot get a reply from anyone

what is IO and goggle? list the site for me please

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1