How many have left Facebook?

lappir

I use Facebook and Instagram for my enjoyment only.  If I have an issue with the camper or truck, I usually go to the appropriate forums and find/get my answers.

But, If I can piss off 1 person a day on social media, then I'm a happy camper....🤣

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Pappy Yokum said:

ABTW - this thread begs the question:  How many people do you know who do NOT use *computers* -  "at all" ??

NO social media,  e-mail, (forums!) - via smart phones, I-pads, laptops, etc.

How do they survive  ??????? - - (ROTFL)

None. Even my father, who recently died at age 94, used e-mail and read my blog although he still had a land-line phone.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

How many people do you know who do NOT use *computers* -  "at all" ??

I know several and some are quite proud of that fact. But all of them are also more than 80 years of age. I also know several people who use a computer mostly for email and very little more and some of them are still in the 70's. On the other hand, Until a few months ago I was working with the youth in rural, east Texas and I was quite surprised to discover that a very significant number of them do not have internet access in their homes nor is there a computer there. In Dallas area, one of the bigger challenges for school during the COVID-19 has been a lack of computers & internet for lower income families with students. I found both to be quite surprising.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've occasionally asked the same question on both a Facebook group and this forum.  Generally, I get more replies on the Facebook group than I get here.  My feeling is that replies here are often more informed than those I get on the Facebook group, however, the larger number of replies there kind of evens it out.  Threads on Facebook tend to balloon quickly and then die out, gone forever.  Threads here tend to get diverted off into trivia, but can unexpectedly come back to life at any time in the future. 

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I enjoy Facebook and have about 500 friends and relatives. It’s easy to control what content you see or just remove someone if they post stuff often you don’t like. The content I see are family pics, activities, cooking, travel adventures of friends, funny generally clean jokes, war history etc. You can control your content. 

I use FB fairly anonymously . Only a very few know who I am there . I think I have 2 friends and I play one game , when I get bored . 

DW uses it for family communications more than our trusty flip phone and plays a couple games . 

Just use it like any other tool , when needed . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

On 6/1/2020 at 9:25 AM, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Facebook reports 1.73 Billion active daily users so I can see no harm done if someone decides it isn't for them.  I actively block and filter people and posts and generally avoid political discussions.  One key to my use of Facebook is the Facebook Purity add on.  It gives you a lot more control over what you see.

Thanks for the suggestions Scott.  Since I couldn’t find the Facebook purity app or tampermonkey in the Apple store I’m tending to resist wanting to install them on my iPad, which is all I use for Facebook, which I rarely log into anyway.  

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

11 minutes ago, gypsydan said:

Thanks for the suggestions Scott.  Since I couldn’t find the Facebook purity app or tampermonkey in the Apple store I’m tending to resist wanting to install them on my iPad, which is all I use for Facebook, which I rarely log into anyway.  

Facebook will automatically log you in if you enter the web address in a browser(on same computer) and have an account. I totally deleted my account. A year later I mistakenly clicked on a facebook link, presto I was logged in again.:(

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, gypsydan said:

I'm not sure FB Purity will run on an Ipad anyway - I think just Safari on a MAC in the Apple world.  I've just run it on my PC - great addon for Facebook.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Had you cleared all FB cookies , Ray ? 

Yes, I  regularly run CCleaner before shutting down for the evening. It does make some websites slower to load, but I'm never in a hurry anyway. Cookies load onto a computer as soon as the website does, I assume the computer ID makes the connection. Perhaps it's time to begin using a VPN.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Yes, I  regularly run CCleaner before shutting down for the evening. It does make some websites slower to load, but I'm never in a hurry anyway. Cookies load onto a computer as soon as the website does, I assume the computer ID makes the connection. Perhaps it's time to begin using a VPN.

Ha . I'm wondering what kind of sites you're visiting if you have to run CCleaner every night . Don't answer that . ;) 

You might have something with the machine ID . A VPN can't hurt . It might slow things a bit , but ...

• 1 month later...

I switched over to MeWe about a year ago. It's slowly growing and is very privacy centric; no ads or selling of your information. It receives funds from individuals paying for the premium features, or for storage. The RV groups are smaller than what was available on FB, but still helpful.

I NEVER signed up or used Facebook, EXCEPT one time I had to sign on as a user during a forest fire.  The team was using Facebook.

Anyway, on  just upgraded to Firefox and their privacy notifications.  Firefox has blocked Facebook tracking!!  

I guess once you sign on to Facebook......they will always know where and what your doing !!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, Vladimir said:

I NEVER signed up or used Facebook, EXCEPT one time I had to sign on as a user during a forest fire.  The team was using Facebook.

Anyway, on  just upgraded to Firefox and their privacy notifications.  Firefox has blocked Facebook tracking!!  

I guess once you sign on to Facebook......they will always know where and what your doing !!!

You might check into an extension called Disconnect .

And , I dumped Firefox years ago . I use Vivaldi . Best , so far . ;)

We still use Facebook.  It is another tools for communications. If there is anything at all  a individual does not like about Facebook or any other  social media  get off of it.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I deleted cookies due to a problem with another site.. big mistake.  Facebook got totally messed up.  I inadvertently created a duplicate account, now I can't deactivate it or delete it - it tries to delete the good account I want to keep.  

And getting ahold of anyone at FB is, so far, impossible.  

Edited by hemsteadc

• 3 months later...

I have moderated several Yahoo Groups over the years, I have a mission statement for each one to value and show respect for viewers time and keep the discussions focused on topic. If you go to one of my groups the information will be related to the name of the group so you don't have to wade through recipes to find tire solutions or cute dog videos to find axle modifications.  ( I have nothing against recipes, I like to eat, or dogs, I LOVE my dog) I didn't like Facebook int the beginning because of the friend of a friend being able to access my page and the challenges to keep up with its continual changes.  I completely understand that Facebook harvests our information and make billions of dollars for it in exchange for our free use of the interface.  see business model below

In 2019 Yahoo Groups removed all features of their groups (archives, photos, files, events etc) except the mail list. On December 15, 2020 Yahoo Groups are closing completely so I have migrated my groups to Facebook.  A lot has changed since I first visited Facebook with their expansion of "Private Groups".  I do not post anything to my page just use it as a placeholder to be able to access my groups.  The Owner/Admins have a lot of features available to them for a "free" interface vs what Yahoo had. I don't want to be on the bleeding edge of technology but realize if I don't take minimal steps to keep up with the rotating world I will be too far behind when I  may really need it and the older I get the harder it is to assimilate new things.

My only concern is for young Facebook users,  once its on the Internet it never goes away and could affect the rest of their lives.  Many employers now do a social media searches of job applicants as documented past behaviors could affect their business's bottom line.  Anyone with enough time and energy or motivated by money can find just about anything on anyone.

Facebook Business Model 25%.jpg

Thanks but no thanks. I was there, left and have no plans to return. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Don't know if it is true, [might have read it on facebook] but it said 70% of millennials get all their news info off facebook and other social media.  That is troubling to me.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

1 hour ago, jcussen said:

Don't know if it is true, [might have read it on facebook] but it said 70% of millennials get all their news info off facebook and other social media.  That is troubling to me.

Esp given that so much of it is OPINIONS and less about facts.  Have to certainly do due diligence.  Put the work in if you want good results.

Marcel

10 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Esp given that so much of it is OPINIONS and less about facts.  Have to certainly do due diligence.  Put the work in if you want good results.

I am old enough that news was what was in newspapers and what you heard on am radio. Seemed fairly impartial in those days. Have some nephews that will read something on Facebook and when they agree with it, it becomes a fact. Personally don't use any social media except for how-to videos.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

5 minutes ago, jcussen said:

I am old enough that news was what was in newspapers and what you heard on am radio. Seemed fairly impartial in those days. 

I had a just-out-of-college High School History teacher that asked us this question one day in class: "What is the primary purpose of a newspaper?".  We gave him predictable answers like "To keep the people informed of situations in their community and around the world", or "To hold elected officials accountable to their constituents".  

He responded, "No, the primary purpose of a newspaper is to make a profit for its owners and shareholders.".  I remember his words to this day (some 45 years later).  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On the news this evening was a report about the increase in Facebook scams since the Pandemic compared with last year:

https://www.nbc.com/nightly-news/video/ftc-warns-of-alarming-surge-in-social-media-scams/4252082

The sad thing is that the ads are still on Facebook and Instagram, if they can't verify their advertisers it doesn't give you much confidence in their news-feeds.  But all "news" outlets are in business to make money so the consumer has to really do their homework to verify the veracity of the material presented.