How many have left Facebook?

lappir

Six months or so ago, a cousin called me saying she could not find me on Facebook. I told her that I did not have or want a FB account. I told her that if I wanted anyone to know what, where, etc I was doing, I would call them and tell them.

She jokingly said” is that why you never call me?”

I said that is EXACTLY why I don’t call you!

Edited by Big Rick

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We both dropped are FB accounts a couple of years ago mostly because of privacy and lets be serious here it's mostly a lot of useless information, I could care less what someone had for lunch LOL.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Our primary use of Facebook or other social media is to communicate with family and friends . We also like to see all points of view from all sorts of people. It is called staying informed. I find Facebook a useful tool like any tool. We will block people or sites that continually  post hate in the areas of race, religion and politics.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Facebook reports 1.73 Billion active daily users so I can see no harm done if someone decides it isn't for them.  I actively block and filter people and posts and generally avoid political discussions.  One key to my use of Facebook is the Facebook Purity add on.  It gives you a lot more control over what you see.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

No FB accounts here.  I worked as a systems engineer in the same types of data-centers that the FB's, the Googles, and the AWS's were built in.  These days I'm a cybersecurity manager for a large company in the health care world and we won't touch those social media platforms with a virtual 10ft pole.  Not a luddite, just safe.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

Thanks Scott I am looking into your suggestion. Here's a link to it if you missed it: https://www.fbpurity.com/

Rich,

I have used the FB block function twice now with pure D trolls. Absent a self aware agenda of hate, most I have run into are suffering from :

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their skill. The concept is based on a 1999 paper by Cornell University psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger." and is explained with humor by John Cleese who after Monty Python used his wit and knowledge of human motivations and the psychology of Cognitive dissonance, a basis for much of comedy,  Eustress, and Distress in this 60 second humorous albeit accurate commentary on the self assured who today number a lot of haters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAkkAMpLLg

Give them some distance and anonymity to a greater or lesser extent and we see them blossom into full blown personal attackers and some very nasty people. My friends list is closed and some acquaintances have taken umbrage when I ignored their requests.

I don't do politics here. I do there. My friends are as tolerant of me as I am of them.

Lots of folks fall prey to their own hubris and fall for what I call the Will Rogers Rule attributed to him and several others, paraphrased and outright plagiarized by many, the version I like goes like this:

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble, it's what he thinks he knows and just ain't so."

I make it a point to check my premises and have good original sources to back them up. I fall victim to it at least once a year. Things I thought I remembered one way, but were actually another.

FB is a learning process of the minds like and unlike mine, my way of thinking, my biases. But who are we fooling certainly not myself. Few can do more than me and have an open mind, but not so open my brains fall out!

I'm not defending or offending FB, but I can't keep an eye on what's going on from outside, or inside, without keeping perspective.

Have a great day folks!

http://hiding_cat.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

22 minutes ago, RV_ said:

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble, it's what he thinks he knows and just ain't so."

Close.  It's -   "It Ain’t What You Don’t Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It’s What You Know for Sure That Just Ain’t So".  

The opening quote in "The Big Short", a movie I've watched probably 50 times.  The author of the quote is somewhat difficult to trace.

Edited by hemsteadc

Hemp,

Thanks but as I said above:

". . .  fall for what I call the Will Rogers Rule attributed to him and several others, paraphrased and outright plagiarized by many, the version I like goes like this"

;)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 5/31/2020 at 2:49 PM, bobsallyh said:

We have never been on Facebook. I sure don't know if we missed anything but we operated before and still operating without it. 

And yet you still live......😀

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

The most important scientific way to use Facebook is to join groups - but not follow them.

Groups specific to YOUR interests.  Interests such as cancer treatments, finding a handyman at your out-of-state property, learning about your new camera, geo-caching, etc. etc.

Join the group, but un-follow the group.
That allows one to have choice - and ignore the surface feed - go straight to the group(s) of your choosing.

Search a group: this is a Facebook function worth learning.  
Your question may have already been asked in the group - use search to find out.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

7 minutes ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

The most important scientific way to use Facebook is to join groups - but not follow them.

Groups specific to YOUR interests.  Interests such as cancer treatments, finding a handyman at your out-of-state property, learning about your new camera, geo-caching, etc. etc.

Excellent advice, Rich&Sylvia.   I find much usefulness in the Groups... Butterfield Stage... Michigan History... South Dakota... Military... 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Have had several accounts over the last few years. Always a nom de plume. Zuckerberg usually uncovers me after awhile and I  resurface as someone else. I have no "friends". Only use facebook to read the homeowner's association page. Also, I use the Tor browser (black web) when logging on to facebook. 

I signed up for facebook about 6 years ago to keep track of our 17 grandchildren. I gave up after a few months and tried to delete my account. I ran an internet search for how to do a complete account deletion, and did so that evening.

Here we are today and I still get emails that my account is available, so I blacklisted facebook emails and everything on my computer that says facebook in the file. Problem gone.

IMO facebook is like a pail of water, keep swishing it around and you are noticed. Keep your hand out and you find out just how important you really are to others.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, LanaHannah said:

I don't use any social media platforms. These platforms are created to control people.

This is s social media platform

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:24 AM, lappir said:

I do have a slight concern regarding the red triangle and the "Not secure" info on the site...

Rod

I too hate the fact that the forum is not secured as indicated by the "Not Secure", red triangle for some and others perhaps an exclamation point in a circle depending on the browser.  The FMCA uses the same software (Invision Community) and they have theirs secured. 

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

On 5/31/2020 at 12:49 PM, bobsallyh said:

We have never been on Facebook. I sure don't know if we missed anything but we operated before and still operating without it. 

And another X-how ever many the count is  up to.

Yes - I signed up many years ago - but never used it.

Apparently, I haven't missed anything I needed, etc. - and won't know if I did.

Which is OK.

BTW - this thread begs the question:  How many people do you know who do NOT use *computers* -  "at all" ??

NO social media,  e-mail, (forums!) - via smart phones, I-pads, laptops, etc.

How do they survive  ??????? - - (ROTFL)

Edited by Pappy Yokum