Jump to content
lappir

How many have left Facebook?

Recommended Posts

Hello again all, 

I have been gone for a while. Facebook looked like a good place to "have everything", but recent events have shown me how wrong I was. I had fallen for the bigger is better, everything in one place is the best you will ever get. Progress!!!!!! NOT. 

I'm sure if my Grandparents, and even my Dad who is also gone would here me or read some of the things would give me the "I told you so" look or comment and it would be well deserved. Not that I had any ability to influence them as they did me, but just the thought that sometimes progress is a dual edged sword. Not only does it cut things to make our lives easier, but also cuts things that were really good as it concentrated only on the forward motion, forever scaring something that was pretty and pristine. 

A few weeks ago, May 23, 2020 to be exact, I woke up just after midnight and felt I had had enough. Got out of bed booted up the computer and found a way to permanently disable my account. It's not an easy task. I was happy and slept much better for the remainder of the night than the few hours before. Then, after having the good night sleep I realized I was being selfish. I hadn't thought of others with my early morning action, thankfully I had 30 days to reconsider. 

I'm not saying I am extremely popular, but I had formed a few private pages and groups during my time in the Facebook. I didn't want people who had enjoyed the comments, information and such from those pages or groups to suddenly lose them so I contacted some of my Facebook friends in hopes they would take over the "Admins" status of the page/group they were members of. Thankfully most agreed and I now feel comfortable in finalizing my removal from Facebook. As I went through the groups assigning new Admins and removing my name I was met with the information that I could "Never be a Primary Admin, ever again even if I chose to come back to Facebook." I'm good with that. 

So, if you are still reading you will realize I do need an outlet. I always enjoyed logging onto the rvnetwork when I was first considering an RV and again when I discovered the HDT and a few other things. It is more difficult to follow each group here, but I certainly believe it's totally worth it. I do have a slight concern regarding the red triangle and the "Not secure" info on the site, but that happens with a local news outlet I also follow where some of my family lives. 

Thanks for reading and comment a hello if you also tried but then have left Facebook. 

 

Rod

   

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you give us some specific examples of "recent events " that caused you to leave fakebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing specific other than what I wrote in my post. I was not asked to leave nor had I received any threats or anything like that. I did break up with a friend, and felt the need to block a few who were pushing my buttons, maybe that had an effect. I was also unemployed for the past month and spending way too much time there. Hopefully it won't happen here too. 

Thanks for your question. 

 

Rod

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is simple enough to simply block any person or group that offends you.  My blocked list keeps growing.

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I avoided the whole problem by not using any of the big social media platforms.  I am a member of a couple of discussion forums and that is it.   Of course I am also somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to my smart phone.  I use it to make phone calls when I am out and about.  Most of the time it is turned off while at home.  I do not understand how people are so attached that they must be connected 24/7.

Safe Travels (or not)...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting story - Thanks for sharing.

I have been on Facebook for about a decade... very light use up until the last couple years.   I used it mostly for retaining contacts with home folks/events/information.   In the last year, I picked up on 'Groups' and 'pages'... like ones for the Butterfield Stage, Michigan History, South Dakota, etc.   Very beneficial to me!.   Lately, there has been a huge increase on FB for politics.   Inevitable, I suppose.   I find the disinformation incredible... replete with "youtube experts"... crass opinions, and outright lies.   This fact has caused me to re-think FB... and put in place some of their more tight security measures.   For the time being, I plan on continuing with FB... mostly for contacts with old friends and beneficial Groups.   I hope things don't get worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on and off early in FB history but got off Primarily because of security. First a group (maybe 28) of young people starting tracking people and messing with their life ( Mainly robbery and malicious activities). Later I became aware of the how my computers activities (my traffic) was being sold. Yes I gave FB  the right to do it when I accepted there contract for use. IF I visit FB it is on one of my children computer to view pictures.

Clay But I don't use Social Media and try to stay from Free applications on my Computers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim & Alice said:

Interesting story - Thanks for sharing.

I have been on Facebook for about a decade... very light use up until the last couple years.   I used it mostly for retaining contacts with home folks/events/information.   In the last year, I picked up on 'Groups' and 'pages'... like ones for the Butterfield Stage, Michigan History, South Dakota, etc.   Very beneficial to me!.   Lately, there has been a huge increase on FB for politics.   Inevitable, I suppose.   I find the disinformation incredible... replete with "youtube experts"... crass opinions, and outright lies.   This fact has caused me to re-think FB... and put in place some of their more tight security measures.   For the time being, I plan on continuing with FB... mostly for contacts with old friends and beneficial Groups.   I hope things don't get worse. 

Thanks. I will miss many of my friends and lots of the photos of their children growing up. I will find a way to reconnect, but not through Facebook. It's become something I no longer recommend. I used to badger (in a good way I hope) people until they checked it out. Some stayed and some left. I used it to invite people to reunions and gatherings, to pages and groups. I used it to express my opinions and unfortunately mostly used it to waste time.  I hope you will continue to enjoy the contact with old friends and the beneficial groups. 

 

Rod 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, lappir said:

I hope you will continue to enjoy the contact with old friends and the beneficial groups. 

Rod 

Thanks, Rod.   We'll see where it goes from here.   Wish you well too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We both joined Facebook because our kids and even more our grand-kids use it so much to communicate. Over the past several years, I have slowly accrued more and more "friends" from various contacts like Escapees, church, neighbors, and such places. It seems that I get friend requests several times per week and I am becoming much more selective in who I accept. Recently I have also begun to take advantage of the "un-follow" feature more and more. About the only group that I am active with is the Escapee page, which is monitored and controversial subjects and political junk are never posted. The admin must approve all posts there and so it has become more and more the place I spend most time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have never been on Facebook. I sure don't know if we missed anything but we operated before and still operating without it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

We have never been on Facebook. I sure don't know if we missed anything but we operated before and still operating without it. 

x2

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobsallyh said:

We have never been on Facebook. I sure don't know if we missed anything but we operated before and still operating without it. 

That's us, also.  I think the social media sites have made people angry, combative and rude.  These RV forums are bad enough!  😁  Our kids and grandkids have no problem emailing, texting or calling us.  That's enough for us.  Same as with our friends.

Edited by 2gypsies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lappir said:

Hello again all, 

I have been gone for a while. Facebook looked like a good place to "have everything", but recent events have shown me how wrong I was. I had fallen for the bigger is better, everything in one place is the best you will ever get. Progress!!!!!! NOT. 

I'm sure if my Grandparents, and even my Dad who is also gone would here me or read some of the things would give me the "I told you so" look or comment and it would be well deserved. Not that I had any ability to influence them as they did me, but just the thought that sometimes progress is a dual edged sword. Not only does it cut things to make our lives easier, but also cuts things that were really good as it concentrated only on the forward motion, forever scaring something that was pretty and pristine. 

A few weeks ago, May 23, 2020 to be exact, I woke up just after midnight and felt I had had enough. Got out of bed booted up the computer and found a way to permanently disable my account. It's not an easy task. I was happy and slept much better for the remainder of the night than the few hours before. Then, after having the good night sleep I realized I was being selfish. I hadn't thought of others with my early morning action, thankfully I had 30 days to reconsider. 

I'm not saying I am extremely popular, but I had formed a few private pages and groups during my time in the Facebook. I didn't want people who had enjoyed the comments, information and such from those pages or groups to suddenly lose them so I contacted some of my Facebook friends in hopes they would take over the "Admins" status of the page/group they were members of. Thankfully most agreed and I now feel comfortable in finalizing my removal from Facebook. As I went through the groups assigning new Admins and removing my name I was met with the information that I could "Never be a Primary Admin, ever again even if I chose to come back to Facebook." I'm good with that. 

So, if you are still reading you will realize I do need an outlet. I always enjoyed logging onto the rvnetwork when I was first considering an RV and again when I discovered the HDT and a few other things. It is more difficult to follow each group here, but I certainly believe it's totally worth it. I do have a slight concern regarding the red triangle and the "Not secure" info on the site, but that happens with a local news outlet I also follow where some of my family lives. 

Thanks for reading and comment a hello if you also tried but then have left Facebook. 

 

Rod

   

 

 

 

You know you can just not log on to facebook instead of deleting to leave the groups you started?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, k4rs said:

I avoided the whole problem by not using any of the big social media platforms.  I am a member of a couple of discussion forums and that is it.   Of course I am also somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to my smart phone.  I use it to make phone calls when I am out and about.  Most of the time it is turned off while at home.  I do not understand how people are so attached that they must be connected 24/7.

Safe Travels (or not)...

 

Itt is my only phone so I leave it on. Don't have a house phone. Don't have facebook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lappir said:

Hello again all, 

I have been gone for a while. Facebook looked like a good place to "have everything", but recent events have shown me how wrong I was. I had fallen for the bigger is better, everything in one place is the best you will ever get. Progress!!!!!! NOT. 

So, if you are still reading you will realize I do need an outlet.

I am not quite sure what you were looking for regarding a "place to have everything" or as an outlet, but I find Facebook (and most other Social Media) to be the dumpster-fire of humanity.  It seems very easy to get caught up in nonsensical arguments with people who you don't know and will never meet.  I imagine most posters as teenage boys (figuratively) and that puts a lot of the posts into perspective. 

We have an account because many of the agencies we volunteer for have Facebook as their primary outreach and it can be a good (and sometimes the only) place to get information.  But we spend very little time on it and don't rely on it for social interaction or entertainment. 

It sounds like leaving Facebook was a big step for you and I hope that you find another, more suitable outlet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I avoided the whole problem by not using any of the big social media platforms.  I am a member of a couple of discussion forums and that is it. 

Me too, I actually have a or had a FB account under a false name, but I was forced to have one to do something. Don't recall what. Used it once or twice years ago and that was it.

They are all run by extreme lefties and I want nothing to do with any of them. My wife is an addict tho,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too, quit FB several years ago. Interestingly, several of our children/children's spouses have also quit - and they are in their 30's.

BTW, this forum is also a social media thing, and anyone can read what you post. They may not be able to get a lot of details about you, but someone with malicious intent toward a specific individual could perhaps glean enough to cause some damage. Read over what you wrote BEFORE clicking the button. Besides catching errors that might make you look foolish you may decide that you have written something that you'd rather not share with the whole world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I resisted FB calling it facecrook. It was invented by college kids to appeal to the BMOC frat, and trying to be most popular types. I only get a friend request rarely because only my family and closest friends are my friends. I had a few acquaintances try to friend me and I ignored them. I don't worry about my friends taking anything wrong. They are screened very well. I don't do their games nor their popularity in numbers king of the hill games either. I do enjoy sharing things there with my good friends. I like it as a limited outlet for a few friends and family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The loss of so many users to Facebook is why the KKRV Resource Guide slowed down to no new articles because there was nothing to add from the Forum.  Maybe if enough return and project threads start up again, maybe new articles can be created.

Edited by Mark and Dale Bruss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kurtsara said:

You know you can just not log on to facebook instead of deleting to leave the groups you started?

I didn't delete the groups. I have friends in the groups who agreed to take them over. I did remove myself as the Admin though and in 30 days I will check with one of my friends to make sure they cannot find me on FB. If they can then I will go to the source. 

Thanks so much for you comment. 

 

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like FB and use it all the time. I have lots of cousins and I like keeping in contact with them.  I'm sure most of you have people you're curious about...old HS friends, hometown friends, college buddies, but not exactly people you'd be emailing or calling on the phone.  FB is real nice for that. 

Sure, there's a lot of crap on there, but nobody''s forcing you to participate in that.

 

Edited by hemsteadc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

DFW RV Roof

RVAir The cleanest air in RVing!

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...