GPS

I like CoPilot.  They have several different versions with varying capabilities.  The RV version allows you to enter vehicle parameters, among other things.  I also like that I can use it on my iPad (a much bigger screen than a typical standalone GPS).  It has not let me down yet.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have owned several units and without citing any specific models I RECOMMEND GARMIN. The reason is UNLIKE many other brands Ive owned when I needed help and sought Technical Support over the phone and usually got longggggggggggg wait times, or reached Habib from Pakistan who didn't speak understandable english, or never got anything but a computer and had to keep pushing buttons, like to NEVER reached a live breathing english speaking person.

WHEN I CALLED GARMIN TECH SUPPORT AN ARTICULATE ENGLISH SPEAKING TECH ANSWERED IMMEDIATELY TELLING ME THEY WERE LOCATED IN USA AT THE GARMIN HEADQUARTERS and they helped me instantly.

That was MY experience, others may have had different. BEST fast live english speaking help I ever received.

John T 

We use a Garmin, RV 770 LMT-S but none of these do anything for weight limits or length, as far as I know. A good GPS will help a great deal fut you still need to use good judgement and none of them are completely fool proof.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We use a Garmin, RV 770 LMT-S but none of these do anything for weight limits or length, as far as I know. A good GPS will help a great deal fut you still need to use good judgement and none of them are completely fool proof.

My Garmin 770 has height, length, width and weight limits.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

My Garmin 770 has height, length, width and weight limits.

I guess it has been changed with one of the updates! I just looked and mine has all of those now also. I hadn't set them as it didn't back when we got it and with our little travel trailer it really isn't a big deal. 

We bought our Garmin RV 760 LMT in January 2015 and it continues to work great for us.  I believe that all of the "RV" models have the height, length, width and weight restrictions from the factory. It is one of the characteristics of those models.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I have two Rand McNally RVND units (a 7730 and a newer 7) that have everything to  avoid unsuitable routes, IF you enter the correct data for your rig.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

20 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I have two Rand McNally RVND units (a 7730 and a newer 7) that have everything to  avoid unsuitable routes, IF you enter the correct data for your rig.

I never had them last very long. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I never had them last very long. 

I bought the RM7730 in 2009 I think, it is serial #000125. Bought the RVND 7 last year-black Friday for $169. They have performed well for me.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 5/21/2020 at 6:09 AM, Kirk W said:

Edited because I saw that he now said that it could several posts later.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Gary Roe said:

I saw that 770 is significantly more technologically elaborate than 760. 

I agree. I have had a 760 since they came out and recently upgraded it to a new 770. It is much better in more ways than just the size.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:24 PM, rls7201 said:

You can also add files to your Garmin GPS for the various restrictions, campgrounds, fuel, rest stops, national and state parks, etc at POI-Factory.com

I do that with my Rand McNally units too.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, gypsydan said:

Not having done any research on this yet, but do any GPSs also work on or through an iPad?
Or maybe I should ask the question, is there a GPS built to use the screen of an iPad.

CoPoilot. They have rv and truck version. I have it on a droid but you just download the ipad one.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 hours ago, gypsydan said:

Not having done any research on this yet, but do any GPSs also work on or through an iPad?
Or maybe I should ask the question, is there a GPS built to use the screen of an iPad.

Make sure your iPad has a GPS built-in, since some WiFi-only models do not.  You can tell if you have a GPS when maps show your location correctly.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

What Glen and Bill said.  I use Copilot on my iPad.  It is available in the App Store.  My iPad has internal GPS.  If your iPad does not have internal GPS, you can add an external GPS antenna to the iPad.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg