Contact tracing app

Kirk W

Please, lets discuss this subject without degenerating to arguing over who started it, what it should be called, or any of the other subjects that seem to cause tempers to flair with contributors here. I just saw this article about the proposed smart phone app for helping to keep control of COVID-19 and found it very interesting. It does sound like something that could be helpful.

Here's How Contact Tracing Will Work on iPhones and Android Phones

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am still a little uneasy about the privacy concerns but because of the circumstances I would try it.  

My DW and I have N95 masks and it seems to me that should be the first defence.  They tell us most of the cases appear to be from droplets in the air that are inhaled.  Yet there doesn't seem to be a rush to manufacture and generally provide these masks so I may be missing something.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Hank Green has an interesting podcast with an expert about how contract tracing with smartphones can work and the privacy implications and workarounds. 

LINK: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9jb3ZpZHN1Y2tzLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz&episode=NTMzN2E1ZTUtN2RlNy00MGM2LTkzMGItNDc0ZDBjYzk4MWNi

Alternatively you can find it on a number of platforms such as Spotify and iTunes if you search for the podcast "COVID Sucks" and the episode title is "Vi is deep in the data."

First it only works with bluetooth enabled phones, then you have to opt-in, then others have to meet those criteria as well. Not perfect but better than nothing. Otherwise the limitations set sound like good ones to me.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 5/18/2020 at 4:05 PM, sandsys said:

First it only works with bluetooth enabled phones, then you have to opt-in, then others have to meet those criteria as well. Not perfect but better than nothing. Otherwise the limitations set sound like good ones to me.

Linda

Since I rarely, well almost never, turn off Bluetooth on my phone if for no other reason than that is what my fitness watch uses, I will not be loading the app. There are ongoing concerns with the privacy that both Goggle and Apple afford users right now as is without letting them access even more. I simply do not trust their privacy assurances. But that is me.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

5 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Since I rarely, well almost never, turn off Bluetooth on my phone if for no other reason than that is what my fitness watch uses, I will not be loading the app. There are ongoing concerns with the privacy that both Goggle and Apple afford users right now as is without letting them access even more. I simply do not trust their privacy assurances. But that is me.  

So, you are OK with tracking your fitness by an app but not tracking your health with one? That makes sense to you?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, you are OK with tracking your fitness by an app but not tracking your health with one? That makes sense to you?

Linda

Absolutely, Linda, because as I said I have little to no trust of Google or Apple when it comes to privacy. Now if 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 outside privacy agencies will certify the security and privacy of my info then I might reconsider. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg