Hmm, old goat, again

phoenix2013

I've drilled a couple holes in truck frames.  I used a hand drill with good bits.  Were my holes perfectly round? Nope.  But unless you're using some sort of precision spacing to center each hole, it doesn't really matter.  Put in a couple extra and be done with it.  Properly torquing the bolts has far more effect on the strength than getting the holes round.  YMMV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Mag drill rentals are not bad, I did it when I burned out my first mag drill, the replacement one was "on the way", but the ET work just couldn't wait. I've bought a ton of annular bits over the years, from 7/16 to 1 3/4. Best source at stupid prices (Chinese bits) eBay, but they have "better stuff" (at more money) too. Use cutting fluid, liberally, while mag drilling and you can't tell the difference, between cheap and expensive. Had multiples of all sizes (from two to four depending) so there were always sharp ones available. When dull ones accumulated, they would go to New Hampshire sharpening shop ($10 bucks each to re-sharpen) This guy was really good had a special set-up for annulars, they require specific double cut to re-sharpen properly. I could tell the difference particularly with cheap drill, they would cut OK, but they would "really cut OK" after they came back from him re-sharpening these. You can re-sharpen these pretty much forever, very little gets taken off in the process.

You may have noticed this tread has "stalled" a bit, my computer geek was upgrading my computer, more memory, more software and he broke the friggin' screen trying to open the case. That's my machine where the $4,000 SolidWorks CAD software resides, we are still dealing with it, I'm thinking of breaking "something else" besides the screen.

Edited by phoenix2013