Crimping Tools

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

I have a smaller hydraulic crimping tool, Harbor freight brand, it works... But the die sizes are waaaay off.  When I had a shop up, we had a long handle crimper with the rotating head with the different size crimper jaws.  I was able to take a measurement of the inside of the jaws for a 4/0 wire crimp, and use that measurement to drill out one of the Harbor Freight dies.  Works well that way with no issues.  I would like to do this with a #2 wire crimp and a  2/0 wire crimp size.  Does anyone have a chart made for correct die sizes for crimps?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

As you can probably tell, the manufacturers are rather private with their dimensions, aside from cable size. I burned through a few connectors, "trial and error"ing my way to a passable die size. The #2 in the HF kit will over-crimp, and leave "ears" on the side of the connector. I drilled out slightly, tested, drilled, tested, until the ears were gone. After all that, I don't remember what the final size was.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You have to take into account. Dies are made for different types of wires and connectors. I'm sure the dies that come in the HF kit are for thin wall crimps with Solid wire.

The kit I have is from Burndy and each die has different color codes corresponding to different size and type of wire the connectors even follow this same color code. The size of the dies is no secret and is printed in their literature and on the dies. The size of the die coupled with the proper connector and correct clamping force are the only way you can make a UL listed connection so there would be no use in keeping this information a secret. You can look at Burndys website and they have a die chart with all the measurements on it. I even have a slide ruler cheat sheet with this info on it.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

The dies in the Harbor Freight kit were so badly undersized that a #2 wire wouldn't fit into the #2 dies. I wrote it off as typical Harbor Freight. When I was looking, last winter, all I could find was part numbers and colour codes, related to cable size, not dimensional sizes. This included Burndy's website, as I use their products at work. Even the literature inside the case only references wire size.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

All the harbor freight crimpers are sized to metric. It doesn't matter what they say, the dies are metric.  Any wire chart will let you compare metric with AWG. Some sizes are closer than others. Also, my FTZ tool has different awg dies for starter lugs or HD power lugs.

The problem with metric is the system lacks the “bombastic / bullshit emphasis factor”.

No one ever missed a pot shot at a gopher by a kilometre. They miss by a mile (har har har) ...

But we crow about engine displacement in litres now instead of cubic inches...how did that sneak by us?

Back to wires....

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 5/14/2020 at 4:40 AM, noteven said:

The problem with metric is the system lacks the “bombastic / bullshit emphasis factor”.

No one ever missed a pot shot at a gopher by a kilometre. They miss by a mile (har har har) ...

But we crow about engine displacement in litres now instead of cubic inches...how did that sneak by us?

Back to wires....

Because some salesman thinks 1600cc or 1.6L sounds a lot more impressive than 98 cubic inches.

Same reason they call a movie place a "theatre" instead of a theater.

Edited by Lou Schneider

4 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Same reason they call a movie place a "theatre" instead of a theater.

Reminds me of a skit about "Occupation....Foole"  Spelled with a final "E" just to tick 'em off."

Name that comedian........  Hint, I have it on 8 track.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

22 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Reminds me of a skit about "Occupation....Foole"  Spelled with a final "E" just to tick 'em off."

Name that comedian........  Hint, I have it on 8 track.

Why that would be Mr Carlin...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 2 weeks later...