SKP Co-Op parks

I have never been a member of a SKP co-op but have lived in several townhouse communities and am sorry to say past history does not predict future trends. As board membership changes over the years, many thing they control can change as well. I served several years but, even then, was not always able to control a change in direction. Fortunately, RVers tend to be a more like-minded community but aging anywhere can change attitudes. It's good that RVers also tend to be more flexible than the general public. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I decided to seriously look into SKP co-ops in the early summer of 2018.  After a fair bit of research, I decided I was most interested in Evergreen (WA), Park of the Sierras (CA), and Saguaro (AZ).  Park of the Sierras required me to stay there before, they would accept my deposit.  That attitude was a non-starter for me (echos of excessively bureaucratic home-owners associations).

So I signed up for the Evergreen and Saguaro waiting lists. It appears to me that it will be another 1 to 2 years before I will be able to become a member of either community.

Funny you mention that, Jojoba has the below statement and my thought when reading it was, "are your trying to weed out the Riff-Raff or you want do a hard sell and close."  either way I passed.

To begin the process, you will need to contact the Resort and arrange a tour with one of our experienced guides. We require the tour in order to provide a comprehensive view of our resort.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

13 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

Funny you mention that, Jojoba has the below statement and my thought when reading it was, "are your trying to weed out the Riff-Raff or you want do a hard sell and close."  either way I passed.

While we didn't consider joining Jojoba Hills, we did attend one of the potential member tours, just to familiarize ourselves with the park and what it has to offer. We were there visiting friends as we know several of their members quite well. While I don't know their reasoning for requiring you to visit, with the length of that park's wait list I can't imagine why there would ever be any special effort to "hard sell" anyone or weed them out. The only effort to weed out people that we saw was they emphasize the importance of member involvement and the expectation that new members find something they would enjoy helping with. Why not contact them and ask their reason for that policy rather than think of negative reasons? 

For anyone considering a California co-op park, I will tell you that even though we have no interest in joining Jojoba Hills, we were very impressed with the park and the friendliness of the members. We have spent time in most of the co-op parks and Jojoba clearly has the most to offer of any park we have seen. They are the only park that we have visited which has a shooting range or several other of their features. The members are very friendly to visitors and they are also proud of their park. They seem to have one of the highest rates of member volunteer involvement of any park that we have visited and it shows. While their memberships are expensive, they also have more to offer than any other co-op that I am aware of. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

To begin the process, you will need to contact the Resort and arrange a tour with one of our experienced guides. We require the tour in order to provide a comprehensive view of our resort.

We have done the tour at Jojoba (twice) and are on the list there. We did not get the impression either time that they were trying to "weed out the Riff-Raff" nor doing a "hard sell and close." Although there is an element of "sell" in the tour in that they want you to know about everything the park offers (it's not all on the web site), it's not like a used car experience at all.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Perhaps the tour is required so that each potential member will be afforded the opportunity to experience the park and its amenities AND what is required as to volunteerism.  I know that my parents shared that some were not inclined to being included in social activities and others wanted more than is required or expected.  The community is really a sum total of the personalities of its members.  And all of those idiosyncrasies together are the total personality.  Me, I think I would appreciate the tour as a "taste" of the community.  I would also likely want to stay there for a month or two, just to feel the area and what it has to offer.  I dont need to do that for Jojoba as much since I live 20 minutes away.  So I already know about the weather, community outside the park, available services etc.

That being said I dont have the same idea about any other SKP park.  But I want to learn about that.  Its on the bucket list.

Marcel

I have stayed at the Co-Op in Benson AZ several times. They do have a tour, however I have never taken it and it is not mandatory. I’m about to put my name on their waiting list. I lived in San Diego, just down the road from Jojoba, for 35 years and know the area well. I did visit once for a day to check it out although I have never been able to get a site to stay. I found Jojoba to be the most unfriendly park in the Escapees system. I have stayed in almost every Escapees Park and Co-Op and all were very friendly, except Jojoba. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer