Finally, Flames on the Pete.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

A while back I started a thread concerning having flames put on the Pete, the discussion covered the pros and cons of paint verses vinyl decals, how to do it and so on.  I found a vinyl decal company out east that will work with you to get what you want, we emailed back and forth for a couple months I sent sketches, they sent mock ups of what it would look like on the truck in different color combinations, when it looked right to me I ordered everything.  While boondocking in Arizona last winter it was warm enough, dry enough to give this a whirl. 

I tried to contract with a local who made and installed vinyl decals to install the decals, because he didn't make them he wouldn't install them, understandable I guess. So I started to watch youtube videos of how to do this, I was quite intimidated by the large decals that would go on the Hood and the side of the sleeper, so I started by installing the small ones on the doors and then moved on to the large ones on the Hood and sleeper.  I think it turned out well.

The Hood.

IMG_4203-XL.jpg

The Sleeper.

IMG_4201-XL.jpg

The Wiener Window.

IMG_4208-X2.jpg

The drivers door.  There is a matching decal on the passenger side door with "Mrs. Cob" on it.

IMG_4202-XL.jpg

The full meal deal.

IMG_4204-XL.jpg

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, HERO Maker said:

Wow, looks great!   I saw a posting from you and almost asked what had happened to the flames!  GREAT JOB.

Howdy Rocky,

I still have to do the ones that go over the tops of the front fenders, they are quite large and have to be installed on compound curves.  I think I have figured out how to do it, I need to cut the backing of the decal so that I can install the more flat center of fender surface first and then go back and install the other parts of the decal that follow the curve on each side of the center of the fender top if that makes any sense.  I know what I need to do, just haven't yet figured out how to make the cuts.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That looks real good Dave. You are learning new skills and didn't have to worry about letting any smoke out. 👍👍

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

22 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

A while back I started a thread concerning having flames put on the Pete, the discussion covered the pros and cons of paint verses vinyl decals, how to do it and so on.  I found a vinyl decal company out east that will work with you to get what you want, we emailed back and forth for a couple months I sent sketches, they sent mock ups of what it would look like on the truck in different color combinations, when it looked right to me I ordered everything.  While boondocking in Arizona last winter it was warm enough, dry enough to give this a whirl. 

I tried to contract with a local who made and installed vinyl decals to install the decals, because he didn't make them he wouldn't install them, understandable I guess. So I started to watch youtube videos of how to do this, I was quite intimidated by the large decals that would go on the Hood and the side of the sleeper, so I started by installing the small ones on the doors and then moved on to the large ones on the Hood and sleeper.  I think it turned out well.

The Hood.

IMG_4203-XL.jpg

The Sleeper.

IMG_4201-XL.jpg

The Wiener Window.

IMG_4208-X2.jpg

The drivers door.  There is a matching decal on the passenger side door with "Mrs. Cob" on it.

IMG_4202-XL.jpg

The full meal deal.

IMG_4204-XL.jpg

Dave

Very very nice job.

4 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

That looks real good Dave. You are learning new skills and didn't have to worry about letting any smoke out. 👍👍

Howdy Brad,

Yes, your right, no wires or smoke were involved and that is a good thing given the fact that my electrical skills or rather the lack of them are legendary.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
sqelin aint my strwong suot

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Just wanted to thank everyone who has replied, I really like the look and was interested if others shared my view, I am glad I finally took on the task and got it done.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 minutes ago, Exile said:

They look terrible.

you should just give the truck to me, so you won’t have to drive it around.

👍👍

Howdy Exile,

We all have a cross to bear, sadly mine is an ugly ole truck that I am trying to dress up for the dance.  I'll suffer under this burden as best I can, if the load should become to heavy I'll keep you in mind if I can no longer take it. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I suppose the next time the truck is hitched to the trailer I should get a good photo of it so I can update my signature photo, however now that we are under house arrest that might be a while........................

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Don't cut the vinyl. If you think it's hard to put on in 1 big piece, try matching up a medium sized piece with another existing medium sized piece. You'll need a new barber before you're done.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

12 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Don't cut the vinyl. If you think it's hard to put on in 1 big piece, try matching up a medium sized piece with another existing medium sized piece. You'll need a new barber before you're done.

Howdy Darryl,

I know what your talking about.  If you look real close at the Hood, you will see that the decal in the middle and the one on the top are identical but reversed.  You will see that the top decal is a bit shorter then the middle one, that is because I cut about two inches off from the front of it so I could stagger it around the Peterbilt emblem, now look at the middle decal you will see that is is not only longer but that it has ADDED to it part of another decal that was included in the package; continue on to the bottom decal, look at the end of it, I used the other part of the decal that I used to extend the middle decal to lengthen the bottom decal.

This took some time, I must have laid the decals out on a flat surface a 100 times before I figured out what I thought was the best overall look that I wanted.  I couldn't get the exact shape decal that I wanted I had to work with what the vinyl company had for shapes but they did work with me on color combinations which I think turned out really nice.

I don't know how to articulate what I have in mind for the really large fender decals.  I don't want to cut the actual decal but need to figure out how I can remove the backing from the about 8 inches wide along the full center lenght of the decal while leaving the backing on the outer edges which has most of the flames.  It's kinda hard to explain but the fender has compound curves it not only  the large curve to wraps around the tire but it also curves across the top surface.  This makes it extremely difficult to impossible to install the decal, I ruined one attempting to do so.

So if I can remove the backing from the center, install the decal and then remove the backing from each of the other outer parts I could then work with those individual parts to lay flat on the compound curves.  I know that doesn't make much sense in words but I think it would make installation of the fender decals possible.  Then again someone who knows what they are doing could probably just throw that decal over the fender and rub it into place, it's hard work trying to accomplish things far above your pay-grade and or skill level.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Lot's of soapy water, and before you start, take the time to cut the backing paper into 3rd's. Then you can pull the strip you want, get it set, then work out to the edges. It sounds easier than it is, especially if you haven't done a hundred of them, but it is possible. Sharp knife, smooth hand.

ETA: If you don't have the confidence in your knife hand, remove the backing, cut as needed, replace loosely onto the vinyl for handling purposes. 

Edited by Darryl&Rita

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Lot's of soapy water, and before you start, take the time to cut the backing paper into 3rd's. Then you can pull the strip you want, get it set, then work out to the edges. It sounds easier than it is, especially if you haven't done a hundred of them, but it is possible. Sharp knife, smooth hand.

ETA: If you don't have the confidence in your knife hand, remove the backing, cut as needed, replace loosely onto the vinyl for handling purposes. 

Howdy Darryl,

If I can cut the back material without cutting the decal I can do this.  I have been wondering if a person could peel the backing away, make the cut and then press the backing on to the decal again with out screwing up the glue on the decal.  If I understand what you have just written if I am careful I should be able to peel off and then re-stick the backing without damaging the stick-ability of the decal.  That will make doing this MUCH easier.  THANKS for the tip.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Great job Dave.  The truck looks great.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I hate using gloves to separate the backing from the vinyl, so I'll use BrakeKleen to wash my hands with. Any grease will affect the vinyl adhesion. Let the BrakeKleen flow liberally, as the oils will seep out of your pores.

Please e-mail us here.

14 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I hate using gloves to separate the backing from the vinyl, so I'll use BrakeKleen to wash my hands with. Any grease will affect the vinyl adhesion. Let the BrakeKleen flow liberally, as the oils will seep out of your pores.

I used to do that. Now my hands are a wreck.  Wear gloves, even if they're a PITA.  Your wife will thank you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

14 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Howdy Darryl,

There was a time I used to wash parts in gas, used diesel fuel to clean my guns, and in general was oft times immersed in some type of petroleum product or solvent.  It never bothered me, nowadays I can't stand the little bit of diesel fuel I get on my hands whilst fueling the truck, stay as far away as possible from any cleaning solvent and only use products like brakekleen at a distance when I have to.  I get that stuff on my skin now and I swear I can feel it soaking in and get twitchy from it.  Gettin old I guess.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 hours ago, dan412 said:

Looks good now all you need is some big straight pipes and you will all set. 

Howdy Dan,

If it didn't cost three social security checks I'd have installed 6 inch straight stacks with the internal mufflers a while back, as it is what's on the truck is still functional and looks pretty good.  I need more chicken lights and Train Horn for sure. 😃

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That looks great. Love the wiener window. Straight pipes are all fine and dandy but you get tired of hearing them after a while. I have 7 inch straights on my Pete. They are fun but I'm over it.

You can get a train horn for like $100 pretty decent. Plumb into the trucks air and put a button in the dash.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.