When do you plan to travel?

13 hours ago, Zulu said:

I recommend Hualapai Mountain Park Campground near Kingman (if you can get it).

It would sure beat staying in a AZ park model during the summer.

They're predicting in the 100's this week.... same as Phoenix.... or am I looking at the wrong place?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

When did they change the name of the state in which to live to WASHINGTON STATE.

Oh, come on now.  Certainly you know that the term "Washington State" is to differentiate it from Washington, D.C.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We are planning to start traveling the 1st of October like we planned but if some of the places are still limited east of us we will just head straight to Yuma.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I have not stopped traveling since I am full-time and heading slowly north to where my son lives.  I have been staying 1-2 weeks at each of several campgrounds that were in fairly isolated rural areas in northern Florida, a state park in Georgia, and now am in TN.  I cannot stay at my son's house because of subdivision rules and there are no decent commercial campgrounds nearby, so I am waiting for state parks to open May 17. 

I need to get some dental work done and some medical tests taken care of in Ohio, then will resume moving in late June, through northern Michigan and parts west. 

My biggest problem has been things that needed fixing.  Camping World agreed to replace my water pump in the parking lot, but I had to have a mobile repairman come inside to fix my toilet.  Right now, porch light needs replacing and my bedroom TV is flickering like crazy, but those things are not critical, so will have to wait.  Tried to get the porch light fixed at a different Camping World, but they wanted to drive my motorhome into the shop to replace it, so I passed on that. 

Frankly, I feel very safe in the campgrounds I have chosen since I picked places with sites spread apart and I tend to stay indoors a lot.  Much safer than an apartment building or condo complex, for sure. 

Edited by Solo18

1 hour ago, Solo18 said:

Much safer than an apartment building or condo complex, for sure. 

Like so much else in life, it depends. Our building is encouraging everyone to stay in their apartments even going so far as to wear masks to deliver our mail and meals to our door, ring the bell, and leave. Also, our apartment is closest to an elevator that takes Dave to the garage for grocery shopping outings, which is the only time either of us leaves the apartment. And there are hand sanitizer dispensers next to each elevator and the elevators themselves are cleaned regularly. Can't be much safer than us anywhere else.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

23 hours ago, TXiceman said:

My wife and I will be wearing the mask, keeping our distance, forgoing any travel and wash our hands a lot.  We are over 70 and reasonably good health and want to stay that way.

That pretty mcy describes us also.  In my Maslow's hierarchy of outcomes, "bored and alive" beats "dead and buried" on my scorecard.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

42 minutes ago, docj said:

That pretty mcy describes us also.  In my Maslow's hierarchy of outcomes, "bored and alive" beats "dead and buried" on my scorecard.

I agree.  And bonus points for including Maslow's Hierarchy in an RV conversation! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I just read a facebook message from a family that was looking to travel to and camp in New York with an young child that requires a CPAP!   I must live in a different universe than anyone that would consider this an option in any form this year.

Edited by trostberg

We all have to make our own decision on when to travel. I am one who refuse to let so called experts tell me how to live. DW and I spent last week in Port O Conner. Had a great time and visited with a full park of other campers. It's hay season so we're busy with first cutting after that will probably head to rockport for a couple weeks. I just checked the numbers 973 deaths in a state of 27 million. It's more dangerous driving to the camp ground. We're both in our 70s and only the Lord knows how much time we have left. So we'll live it to the fullest.

Dave

391RES Open Range

Dodge 3500 DRW

1 hour ago, SOD said:

I just checked the numbers 973 deaths in a state of 27 million.

With all due respect this is the kind of attitude that is going to result in continued virus outbreaks all over the US IMO.  According to the State's official website there are now 1,003 deaths and the number of cases continues to grow each day.  Texas COVID dashboard

Just because the absolute number of cases is still relatively low in rural areas doesn't mean that it isn't increasing.  If you're not familiar with the concept of exponential growth, a 2 percent per day increase in cases results in an ~80% increase in 30 days and a factor of 3.3 increase in 60 days!

Frankly, as a resident of Rockport I sure don't want you coming to our town.  That has nothing do with you personally, but our county only has two cases and we'd like to keep it that way.  People coming from another county are a potential risk to us.   Many people serve as asymptomatic carriers so you can innocently be bringing it with you.  Since you just visited with a "full park of other campers" there's a chance that you've been exposed to the virus (unless you were wearing face coverings and practicing social distancing all the time).  You're not the only person in your 70's and we are trying to stay safe and healthy.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, SOD said:

We all have to make our own decision on when to travel. I am one who refuse to let so called experts tell me how to live.

The 'so-called' experts ARE experts!!  What are your qualifications?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, SOD said:

We all have to make our own decision on when to travel. I am one who refuse to let so called experts tell me how to live. DW and I spent last week in Port O Conner. Had a great time and visited with a full park of other campers. It's hay season so we're busy with first cutting after that will probably head to rockport for a couple weeks. I just checked the numbers 973 deaths in a state of 27 million. It's more dangerous driving to the camp ground. We're both in our 70s and only the Lord knows how much time we have left. So we'll live it to the fullest.

Dave

How do you know that you aren't  asymptomatic and a super spreader?  You don't.  Even with a lot of testing, the virus can get into a place that seems secure, such as the WH.   Physical distancing and face coverings are important to keep the spread down.   Maybe you are in great health, but not all of us are,    And just what are your credentials that you think all you to ignore what people with a LOT of experience and expertise are telling you?    You do realize that at least 70 ppl from the first demonstration at the Wisconsin state capitol (no distancing, no makes) not w have the disease.   Assume they have each passed it on to probably 2 or more people (since they don't believe in masks) and each of those will pass it on, etc.   

Do what you want with your life - but don't bring disease to others.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, SOD said:

Dave

Pure ignorance.

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

The 'so-called' experts ARE experts!!  What are your qualifications?

An those 'experts' were consistently wrong in their predictions, predicting 800 deaths in South Dakota when the actual number was 3 at the time and now is 33. They are operating with little or no real data that is the infamous GIGO condition, Garbage in; Garbage Out.

Now real data is beginning to come out and it looks the the infection rate over the country is more like 4-6%, higher in plague centers like NYC where it could be 20%/ That pushes the fatality rate down to 0.15 to 0.2%. That's seasonal flu area.

There is data showing the the virus only survives for a minute or so in sunlight and air. That the infection rate is 18.6 times higher inside than out in the sun. That you are only likely to catch it from prolonged close contact not passing someone in the street. And that masks pose more of a risk than the chance of them preventing anyone from catching it.

I will be making reservations for Georgia and Tennessee for the end of the month and early June, and will be in a wait and see status for more states opening up after that.

If you are worried then stay inside and avoid people, they are no hazard to your health mental or physical. And for the 'super spreader' story that is a urban myth with absolutely zero data behind it.

If you think I'm wrong post a link proving otherwise and a internet story does not constitue proof.

Edited by agesilaus

17 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

There is data showing the the virus only survives for a minute or so in sunlight and air. That the infection rate is 18.6 times higher inside than out in the sun. That you are only likely to catch it from prolonged close contact not passing someone in the street. And that masks pose more of a risk than the chance of them preventing anyone from catching it.

Speaking of unsubstantiated claims, you can start with providing references for these.  The one thing I recall about sunlight was that concentrated UV light on surfaces could kill the virus, but that's a lot different from claiming that it only last a minute or two in the sunlight. 

And I'd be real interested in where your "18.6 times higher" infection rate comes from. Many time people make unproven claims by citing very precise numbers.  It makes the claims seem more believable and is one of the key aspects of "How To Lie With Statistics", a book that used to be a favorite of mine.

In the words of Carl Sagan, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof!"

17 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

And for the 'super spreader' story that is a urban myth with absolutely zero data behind it.

There have been multiple documented cases of wide-spread dissemination through funerals, weddings, etc.  To avoid providing an "internet story", here's a link to a research article published by the CDC in one of my favorite scholarly journals, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report!  Community Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 at Two Family Gatherings

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

38 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

Pure ignorance.

Or pure arrogance.

As to the numbers tossed out above,  82.4% of all statistics are made up.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Statistics aren't made up.   If the data is good, then the math will give a good answer.   

More people will die in South Dakota, but since there is more information now available on how to treat patients, there should be less deaths than what would be with no experience.  Such things as proning patients has shown to cut down on the number of people who need to be placed on ventilator.  Also the use of different anticoagulants and BP medications appear to help.  

The masks are to prevent you from catching the virus, they are to limit the distribution of particles FROM you to other people.  I wear a mask to protect you from any particles I made shed and you wear the mask to protect me from any particles you may shed.   That, plus physical distancing, will GREATLY reduce the chance that each of us will die.   It is such a simple thing to do, why are people so upset by it?   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

9 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Statistics aren't made up.

I think you missed the intended irony in the statement   82.4% of all statistics are made up 😁

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Gee folks, I thought this forum was where we could voice an "opinion" which is what I did. I started this by saying "we all have to make our decisions" now I've been told to stay away from rockport, and I'm not qualified to have an opinion. Relax, stress has killed more people than this virus has, live life the way you want to and I'll live mine

391RES Open Range

Dodge 3500 DRW