When do you plan to travel?

We're sheltering in place at our sticks and bricks home in Washington State.  Normally, we leave at the end of October to head south for the winter...I'm hoping we'll be able to do so again this October. 

We boondock, so social distancing isn't a problem.  Where we usually stay, we'll have grocery stores where we can order online and do curbside pickup.  Our biggest problem will be doing laundry since it's not always possible to stay a minimum of 6' away from others in a laundromat.  

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

As this pandemic ruins untold lives and more and more each day and loved ones ripped from families and friends I have heard it called a lot of things.  Sometimes very graphically but you are demanding that we only call it by its "official" name for the virus or the disease as if it is a sacred thing?

You clearly understand the seriousness of this disease Randy.  Barbara is correcting you because calling it the flu (with whatever modifier you choose) is how people who wish to minimize the seriousness of the situation characterize it. 

I'm heartened by the number of people on this forum who are taking this very seriously.  Wish that were the case elsewhere.  Many of us are quite fortunate that we can effectively keep away from people.  Not much choice for those in frontline professions.

Our plans to head out west this summer are definitely cancelled.  We'll continue to hunker down here at our home base in rural West Central Florida for the time being.  Our county has one of the lowest infection rates in the state and we are following all of the suggested practices.  If conditions improve, we would like to spend some time in North Carolina were our son and his family live.

Safe Travels (or not)...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

32 minutes ago, Beerboy said:

You clearly understand the seriousness of this disease Randy.  Barbara is correcting you because calling it the flu (with whatever modifier you choose) is how people who wish to minimize the seriousness of the situation characterize it. 

I'm heartened by the number of people on this forum who are taking this very seriously.  Wish that were the case elsewhere.  Many of us are quite fortunate that we can effectively keep away from people.  Not much choice for those in frontline professions.

In my original post I was pointing out trouble could be brewing and be safe.  You are entitled to your opinion on how one must address this virus but this is a free country with free speech.  I disagree with you and resent being corrected because it doesn't fit ones opinions.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Using a geographical area and the wrong type of disease is a way some people blame the disease on "others" and downplay the seriousness of it.  The 1918 pandemic probably started in the midwest, was probably the H1N1 virus, was taken into Europe by US soldiers (but we didn't tell anyone many were sick when they boarded the transport ships) and was then blamed on the Spanish who had nothing to do with it except identify a new type of flu!   Words matter. 

I am really glad so many on this forum are taking it seriously.  Maybe it is because a lot of us are in the 'prime' target age group to die because of it.   We are hoping to get up into the mountains in New Mexico and Arizona for the summer months, if the physicians can get Dave's meds tweaked to the right combination and if we can find RV parks for us.  Otherwise, we will just stay put in our park model and ride it out.   The good thing is there aren't a lot of people in our park, and those that are here, stay far apart, are all sort of in perpetual isolation, and the medical care in the valley is very good.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

7 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

We are hoping to get up into the mountains in New Mexico and Arizona for the summer months . . . Otherwise, we will just stay put in our park model and ride it out.

I recommend Hualapai Mountain Park Campground near Kingman (if you can get it).

It would sure beat staying in a AZ park model during the summer.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

20 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Using a geographical area and the wrong type of disease is a way some people blame the disease on "others" and downplay the seriousness of it.  The 1918 pandemic probably started in the midwest, was probably the H1N1 virus, was taken into Europe by US soldiers (but we didn't tell anyone many were sick when they boarded the transport ships) and was then blamed on the Spanish who had nothing to do with it except identify a new type of flu!   Words matter. 

I am really glad so many on this forum are taking it seriously.  Maybe it is because a lot of us are in the 'prime' target age group to die because of it.   We are hoping to get up into the mountains in New Mexico and Arizona for the summer months, if the physicians can get Dave's meds tweaked to the right combination and if we can find RV parks for us.  Otherwise, we will just stay put in our park model and ride it out.   The good thing is there aren't a lot of people in our park, and those that are here, stay far apart, are all sort of in perpetual isolation, and the medical care in the valley is very good.   

I have not tried to down play the seriousness of this disease,  in fact I have 2 daughters that are deemed essential and one has had an illness that we believe was the wuan flu because of it.  If you believe I called it that to blame someone that was not my intention but if you are insinuating that I meant the communist rule of China shares some or maybe a lot of blame I am okay with that.

Randy

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

We're sheltering in place at our sticks and bricks home in Washington State.  .  

I don't want to grab the attention away from the subject but I have a serious question. When did they change the name of the state in which to live to WASHINGTON STATE.

There is New York and New York City or Spokane, Washington and Pennsylvania Ave , Washington DC but never Pennsylvania Ave, Washington.  Washington State is all you hear in the news, are they teaching that in the schools. Is Washington State politically correct?

Just wandering

Clay sheltering in Texas or is it TEXAS STATE

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We really should drop this, we have hijacked the OP's thread. So this will be my last post on this subject. As for people avoiding Asian restaurants, how could they no one is allowed to eat in a restaurant now days. Tho that is slowly changing in some states. Otherwise show real data not supposition and rumors.

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

I recommend Hualapai Mountain Park Campground near Kingman (if you can get it).

It would sure beat staying in a AZ park model during the summer.

Not really.  AC in park model is better than the motorhome, etc.  these are designed for year round living.  And KIngman gets hot in summer!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We are not going anywhere. We will be staying at our S&B for the first summer since 2006.We have plenty to do around here. We may do a local trip or two if the C.Gs  are open.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We extended our stay in Florida and are now in Georgia until at least May 18th due to the restrictions in SC, NC and VA that prevent us from getting farther North. We are still planning to head to NM and AZ in August. We have not found it difficult to social distance in campgrounds/RV parks. Grocery stores are the biggest concern. Everywhere we have been, meat and frozen vegetables have been in short supply. The size of the RV freezer makes it hard to stock pile much, but the stores have limits on the number of each item that can be purchased which also dictates how often one must return to the store.

My research on the Covid-19 virus, potential vaccines and risk factor evaluation has made me decide that waiting for a vaccine is not the route that I will take. There is no guaranty that an effective vaccine will ever be developed. There is no vaccine for the virus that causes HIV or the corona virus that cause the common cold. It is my understanding that no vaccine has ever been developed for any corona virus. One article predicted that the two most advanced covid-19 vaccines have a 5% and 15% chance of being effective. The annual influenza vaccine is normally about 50% effective. Not everyone gets the flu vaccine so the annual death rate from influenza in those over 65 is still high. From what I have read, the death rate from motor vehicle accidents is significantly higher than the projected deaths from Covid-19 so it seems that the highest risk to travelling RVers is on the highway.

Everyone needs to make there own evaluation and decision.

Likewise I think waiting for a vaccine is almost the same as giving up RVing. There are quite a few being worked on and some are reportedly in early testing but wait and see is my position. Even when one goes thru all three stages of testing, goes thru the government approval process and goes into production. How long will it take to produce hundreds of millions of doses for the US and administering them to enough people to create 'herd immunity'. That would be something like 170,000,000 people or more injected, maybe several times.

Just think of the hard time they've had getting people tested and that number is not even close to the number needed for a vaccine.

As for seasonal flu numbers, I've seen a couple of articles that point out that the numbers they publish are generated by one of the infamous and worthless models. After all have you ever been actually tested to see if you really have the flu? I never have and no one I know has been either. Apparently there are a few hospitals that participate in an annual testing program and report to the CDC who fires up the model out spits a number. Probably as good as the numbers the models have been producing for the WuFlu, totally imaginary.

Edited by agesilaus

They did develop a vaccine for SARS, which is also a Coronavirus.   And have one in preliminary work for MERS, both research results being used to Covid19 as a starting point.   HIV is a completely different virus.  Some Coronaviruses do not mutate like cold viruses, thus making vaccines possible.    It is a crap shoot, but Oxford group has a good start as do three or so firms in US.   Still is a year away, so social distancing, increased hand washing, wearing masks when out will be a way of life for a lot us us.  And doing those things will also slow transmission of seasonal flu! 😉

Death from cars about 39K per year, we passed that in 4 weeks.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Since we get a flu vaccine every year and have since ‘76 when our premie arrived, we have never had the flu or have been treated for anything like it.  Did get tested for strep a couple of times when I developed bronchitis as the result of a cold.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I cannot believe the number of people wanting to bury their heads in the sand and go back to life as usual.  I think we will be seeing a prime example of Darwin's Theory.  The weak and stupid will be the first to go and thin the herd.

Why do these people think nothing will happen to them?  I sure don't want their sickness and I sure do not want to be responsible for getting some one else sick.

Use some common sense and social distance.  My wife and I will be wearing the mask, keeping our distance, forgoing any travel and wash our hands a lot.  We are over 70 and reasonably good health and want to stay that way.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

For a lot of younger people I don't think they fear it like those of us that are older and maybe have other factors.  For most of the younger folks the odds are pretty good that they may get sick for a week or 2 and then back to work.  Especially someone that is struggling to keep a roof overhead and food on the table for their family.  I try to think back when we were first getting started  and money was tight.  I can't say for sure but I can imagine I would just want to go to work.  The thought that my family  would be out in the cold and possibly hungry would have really bothered me.  Of course now that I don't need to work for basics I will just stay in.

Randy

This thread is not about what to call the current problem illness or where it came from or who is at fault. Please let's discuss the subject at hand which is returning to RV travel and in what way or with what precautions. Are you considering plans for the summer, fall, winter, or when? What precautions do you plan to take, if any?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you Kirk.

We've been doing some upgrades on the truck, and the trailer just needs fuel in the genny tank and a check of the tire pressures.  When the powers that be proclaim it's prudent to hit the trail, we'll go somewhere, anywhere.  Maybe just a week, maybe three.  For sure, care will be given not to crowd others, or allow others to crowd us.  We're both in our mid 60's and no health issues, yet.  We want to stay that way.

Well, I see while I was typing, someone chose to ignore Kirk's plea. Shame on you.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I mentioned earlier that we have reservations at a NY state park for the 4th of July period. We also have reservations at another NY state park for Labor Day week  as well as reservations at GA and FL state parks for next winter. I don't know if they'll all come through, but we hope so. Without knowing about the virus at the time, our site selections are all for large sites that are well spaced from the neighboring sites.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We had plans to do some traveling in March which luckily we cancelled as the wife had foot surgery just before all this stuff hit in South Carolina. We had a Rally planned in April which was cancelled but our oldest son got a new job and has to move from Wisconsin to Indiana so we did a couple of trips to help him out. First one was in our SUV and we managed to get hotel rooms when needed, rest stops were all open, fuel was no issue (we used our disposable gloves that we use for the RV dump) and had some hand sanitizer. Food was an issue finding places open but we managed by using a lot of drive thrus. Not many others out so it was easy to social distance. The second trip, we took the RV trailer, parked it in western TN at a campground for a few days, then used the HDT like a mini motor home to help him move some items. Same issues as above. At that time they were not recommending a mask to be worn.  We spent a few days in Central TN at the rally campground  to recover from the stress and achy muscles of helping the son move. Very few campers and again it was easy to social distance. Our May & June plans for camping have been cancelled because the campgrounds are closed, so we changed our plans and will be heading to Indiana and Wisconsin again to help our son and celebrate Mothers Day and Fathers Day with the inlaws. We do not expect anything will have changed but masks are not available around us, the disposable gloves we use are getting low in our supply and none are available around us. We did mange to find some hand sanitizer so we have restocked our traveling containers of those. Luckily the truck will only need a couple of fuel stops since it has over a 1000 mile fuel range on a tankful so my glove supply should hold out for these trips. We have the refrigerator in the trailer stocked and do not expect to have to go to the grocery store for much if anything. My feeling is we can social distance in our rig just as easy as we can at home. July events have been cancelled so we are just keeping our fingers crossed that things get better and we can still continue with our originally scheduled fall plans.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

For the life of my I do not understand the rabid screaming about having to wear a face covering when you go out.   It is to help protect others if you should be infectious, why should this get people so riled up?    

We have a couple of N95 masks and it would be nice if everyone that wanted one could get one.  That way we could be less concerned about what others are doing.  For us we are just figuring how we can live in this environment and thrive as best as we can.  That is maybe easier for us as we enjoy boondocking and rarely go to campgrounds.  We also have our own land in the mountains that is pretty remote and we enjoy staying there.  We are going to stay low and wait for things to change before we resume our limited travel.  In fact we were at our AZ property when this mess began to be widely acknowledged and we were expecting visitors.  We canceled that and as soon as the weather appeared safe we headed home.  Stopping only to sleep and use the RV facilities.  Our HDT carries enough fuel to get us home.

Randy