anyone use a seperate battery charger for lithium

Have you decided not to use an inverter charger, or is it so big it will only work on a 30+ amp hook-up? 

Most inverter chargers have adjustable charge rates, so if you choose one that has say a 60 amp max charge rate at 48v (that needs 30 amps input at 120v) you can just turn it down to charge at 30 amps if all you have is 15 amps DC available. Most can be adjusted from 20-100% of their rated capacity.

Chip

Edited by sushidog

I will be wiring the shore power directly into the inverters. This way the Magnum MS4448PAE will only charge battery and supply power to our Teton. I will have cleaner power this way. I will start with two units. I was consideriing a seperate chager for the battery pak if all goes south. It likely not will happen but shouldn't be an exspensive back up.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, to your comment " I was consideriing a seperate chager for the battery pak if all goes south."

In the event you want an auxiliary back up separate charger, as I'm sure you're already aware, it has to:

Charge at the correct voltage, current, staging and parameters to match your Leaf's battery requirements. I guess that would be the same as what the car used when plugged to shore power for normal charging, can you get one (or how many are required) of those OEM chargers to match your battery ?? How about using solar to charge the batteries if there's no shore power or the Magnum went south ?? Would that not be enough ??

As far as your wanting to use 15 or 30 or 50 amp, subject to the charging requirements, a 15 amp may or may not do the job, I don't have the specs on your battery or what a separate charger requires, but 15 amps sounds on the light side ???  Also obviously, is 120 or 240 VAC required?? If 240, then you need a 50 amp RV type of receptacle......….

Remember I want to park next to you and plug into your system, I'm sure you have enough for BOTH of us lol

Take care and best wishes Glenn

John T

The oem EV chargers voltage is too high.Actually I could put my batteries in operation if I had a charger. My daughter needed a large sum of money for a house downpayment and I had to dish it out. She is my only child and daddy can't say no. So my funds for my projects is on hold. And with the virus lockdown my income on hold. Now I'm not hurting for funds just my projects. But I have the dc/dc wired and in place just not connected. If I had a charger could put this in operation and get rid of lead acid. Plus I'm bored and need something to do. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 weeks later...

Glen. I have been looking as well, trouble is the 14s 48 volt packs charge best at 56-57 volts, hard to find in a stand alone charger that will do that. Let me know if you find one. As John T mentioned, solar is the best way to top them off.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

50 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Read my post above yours. They make them.

So you called Schumacher and they built one to your specs.? How much and how many amps at 57 volts?

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

15 minutes ago, jcussen said:

So you called Schumacher and they built one to your specs.? How much and how many amps at 57 volts?

EDIT: Just called them and they said they can not make a 57 volt charger.

45 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

My apologies.. It's Schauer

https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/48-volt/japlar-schauer-48v-15-amp-automatic-smart-golf-cart-charger-jac1548h-0891-113.html

This  company modified this charger to meet the specs of my 48v pack. No charge, just shipping for me.

Thanks, just ordered one, turns out agm setting is 57.6, so close enough. Factory would have altered it to 57,  but wanted to charge me shipping and $400 so I am happy with $299 shipped from batterystuff.com

1 hour ago, jcussen said:

Thanks, just ordered one, turns out agm setting is 57.6, so close enough.

Cool. They wouldn't bless running 2 in parallel but for bulk charging they work just fine together. Sure gives my Hondas a workout!

Edited by hemsteadc

44 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Actually the guy we got our batteries from sell a fast charger.

Yes he does, but for some reason, I think it was set up for 12s packs, so a lower voltage. Might be wrong though.

• 1 month later...

Texted Ralph and he can get me a 30 amp charger for my batteries. It is regulated so I can leave it hooked up. I have also been commuting with Steve Dixion. He uses a 2000w dc power supply feeding a PT-100 controller. A quality DC power supply is $500.00. He uses a 4PDT relay in line for switching to power supply. I am thinking just a seperate plug for 30 amp and charger. 

On 5/4/2020 at 5:06 PM, jcussen said:

Yes he does, but for some reason, I think it was set up for 12s packs, so a lower voltage. Might be wrong though.

Actually his fast (15 amp) charger does work with our batteries

Edited by GlennWest
corrected error

14 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Actually his fast (20 amp) charger does work with our batteries

I bought the 15 amp one Hemsteadc  recommended. $300 shipped. Made here with good phone support and two year warranty.  Bought one of Ralph's Alibaba solar controllers, and it worked for 2 weeks before the display faded out.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Think I going to get 2 of his stocking chargers. That would give me same for $100 less. Have a spare this way too if one fails

Probably a good idea. In my case, have 5200 watts of solar, if somehow that fails [I am running two strings on 2 solar controllers] I can use the Magnum to recharge the batteries, and  if it fails, can use my 15 amp charger on my small generator. Redundancy is a good thing, especially here in hurricane country.

5 hours ago, Sehc said:

I'm learning about lithium battery. I hear much good about Sterling marine grade chargers. I know they have 48 volt stuff. They also have DC to DC that are recommended for lithium. Sterling is pricey.

https://www.solar-electric.com/victron-energy-orion-tr-12-12-30a-dc-dc.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz4z3BRCgARIsAES_OVff4PMJgYTw-1MOI8hty4TX6jRlbg03x9D2jFJ7VymHacyetx8jzzkaAmXoE

My coach is 12 volt lithium , so use the above dc-dc charger to charge the batteries off the alternator.  When not driving either the inverter/charger or solar will charge the house batteries.

6 hours ago, Sehc said:

I'm learning about lithium battery. I hear much good about Sterling marine grade chargers. I know they have 48 volt stuff. They also have DC to DC that are recommended for lithium. Sterling is pricey.

If you already have solar, a dc power supply feeding a solar controller will do same. Steve Dixon uses this on his nice unit. He also has a 4PDT relay in his 50 amp supply to redirect to dc power supply. Nice power supply $500.00. Could just put a 30 amp next to 50 amp receptacle. Volteq makes great power supplies.

Edited by GlennWest