IRS tax day and I received money from them!

Kirk W

22 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I gave up trying, will wait for the snail mail checks.  Our problem is that the IRS website doesn't know why to do with people who had neither an amount due or a refund!  We roll any overpayment into next years estimated tax, so we never receive a refund.  

We didn't get a refund (nor did we have to pay) for 2019, either.  When filling out the Get My Payment form, I checked the box for "got a refund" and then put "0" in the amount box.  It finally accepted the information this past Monday and the message I got was that the money would be auto deposited to our checking account.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We got our "presidential letter" today. I'll not comment further since political discussions are forbidden here, and with good reason.  🙄

LOTS of IRS discussion here, so -

Hope this qualifies as being directed to the *non-partisan*  IRS:

Although there might be some "discussion" about the "why" *from*  the IRS.

"My fellow Americans"

Anyway, advice taken! - -  SKP mantra here at the campground:  "Clean mind clean body !"  

Edited my last post.

So -  back to my clorisol cocktail disinfectant.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Our church has a food pantry and is in an area that is not affluent at all.  Some of our money is going to that food pantry.  We also support an elementary school that is across the street from the church.  We don't let any of the families, and especially the children, go hungry.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, LindaH said:

We didn't get a refund (nor did we have to pay) for 2019, either.  When filling out the Get My Payment form, I checked the box for "got a refund" and then put "0" in the amount box.  It finally accepted the information this past Monday and the message I got was that the money would be auto deposited to our checking account.

Finally received the money on the 6th!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Got mine on the 1st of May or there about! I had to buy my abode a new water heater; an awning; and labor. I also have a 15K roof AC; but more labor extensive before my finances eked out! Seems like Fall before it gets done! So I guess some taxes will be-falled from the Stimulus monies. O' and I still need to pay food; rent; fuel and utilities. LOL!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

• 2 weeks later...

Well we FINALLY had our stimulus payment deposited on Wednesday, the 12th.   This was a WEEK after my dead mother got a check in the mail at my sister's house!    We are donating most of it.  First donation was to the Navajo Nation, they are in dire straights with this disease and need all the help they can get.   We have also donated to the Arizona Food Bank network.  All the food banks all over the country are really stretched thin.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barb,

Sounds like it might be too late for you, but I'm posting this mainly for others who may be in a similar situation.

My understanding is that eventually,  you will be asked to return the money.  "You" being, who ever cashed the check, or owned the account the money was deposited in.  I realize that with some estate trusts, it may be so difficult to recover the money that those tasked with retrieving it would give up.

Still, my advice to most folks in a similar situation, until the murkiness clears, is to put the money in a savings/checking account and don't spend or donate it for a "reasonable" amount of time.  Technically, I suspect that would be the statue of limitations, but practically, it probably less.

That said, given the amount of money involved,  donating it to charities, is likely to be much better at repelling collection efforts, than using it to buy wine. 🙂

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Maybe be you misunderstood, it was OUR payment that we finally got a week after my sister got a check for mom.  The donations we made are from OUR  funds.  Nothing to do with mom.    We are okay and a lot of people are really hurting.

My sister hasn’t deposited the check.  She knows it will be called back.   I think she’s going to call her US Representative’s office for procedure to return it.

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

We are okay and a lot of people are really hurting.

I'm glad to see you helping those hurting the most. Doesn't it feel good to know we can do SOMETHING in the midst of being able to do so little?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

11 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I'm glad to see you helping those hurting the most. Doesn't it feel good to know we can do hun SOMETHING in the midst of being able to do so little?

Linda

Yes it does.   The problems up on the Navajo/Hopi reservation are disastrous.   So many don't even have running water, no health care, etc.     One of the local food banks in Mesa moved its operation to the Mesa Convention Center because they have so many seeking help.   And so many children not getting meals at school increases the hunger in the area.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

No problem.  

I do not that at first people were told to go ahead and spend it.  Feel sorry for those that did when the money is clawed back.   My sister is use to the claw-back.  When mom died on September 30th, they clawed back the September SS check that came the 1st of September.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 4 weeks later...

What information did you have to give them that they didn't already have?   Your bank account number?   The IRS has that somewhere.  Where you worked?   IRS has that.   SS number - Social Security has that.  Driver's License number?  Bet that is on file with your passport application as well as with your state DMV.   Parent's names, state of your birth has that.  Address - IRS has that.   Marital status - that's for determination of benefits.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 11 months later...

It's been over 21 days since the IRS received my message, but I haven't received my refund. And I don't even know what to do in this case because of the quarantine, I was fired from my job, and I had to get a low-paying job that doesn't give me the opportunities that I had before. So I somehow reduced my budget for the new salary, but it's a little tricky. And so I created a topic in the form of finance, and in one of the answers, there was a link https://wealthtender.com/insights/money-management/what-is-a-financial-coach/ which I switched to and realized that this is what I needed. Also there, I contacted a financial coach who helped me solve my problem.

Edited by Rodrigo

On 6/9/2020 at 7:05 PM, Barbaraok said:

What information did you have to give them that they didn't already have?   Your bank account number?   The IRS has that somewhere.  Where you worked?   IRS has that.   SS number - Social Security has that.  Driver's License number?  Bet that is on file with your passport application as well as with your state DMV.   Parent's names, state of your birth has that.  Address - IRS has that.   Marital status - that's for determination of benefits.   

FYI - "Driver's License Number" - it's in a National Data Base - no matter what state you live in - or where you may apply for a new license.  South Dakota had my CA info in seconds - even asked if I still wanted to renew my previous CDL - (CDL - which I had *not* renewed many years previously in CA).

Ten minutes later - out the door with current -laminated- DL inc'l  motorcycle endorsement.

(All of which took place in 2006)

BTW:  When you're thinking of THE IRS - remind yourself to combine the title of that Fed agency......

it's just a partial acronym of/for how it sees your $$....=   "theirs"  !!

😉

Edited by Pappy Yokum

On 6/9/2020 at 7:05 PM, Barbaraok said:

The Federal data bases are NOT linked due to Federal laws primarily due to immigration laws passed by Congress that keep the Federal agencies from sharing information.

For most natural born Americans it doesn't matter. 

For me, when I filed for Social Security they denied my application.  They would NOT take the following items:

My citizenship papers, when I became a US citizen.

My PERSONAL US government passport.

A photo-copy of my OFFICIAL US government passport, traveling on US government business overseas.

AND the topper on the cake....a US government pension based on working for the Federal government for 30 years (you have to be a citizen to be a Federal employee...with rare exceptions).

At the end of all this, I did ask Social Security what their computers showed as my status in this country.  She looked it up and said...."foreign national".

Right...that ended in October, 1969.  I understand that Social Security is probably a little behind in updating their computer databases.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com