Brake Adjustment

OldWanderer

I have a Viking 16FB travel trailer that does not have self adjusting brakes.  The manufacturer recommends adjusting the brakes every 3,000 miles.  I know how to adjust the brakes and have done it.

If this Covid 19 virus thing ever gets sorted out, I plan on taking a trip of ~7,500 miles.  I would prefer to not adjust the brakes while I am on the road.  Do I risk damaging the brakes by going that far without an adjustment?

No, no damage to the trailer brakes. Yes, their might be damage to the tow vehicle brakes, since they will do most of the braking if the trailer brakes wear to the point they do not function correctly.Been there-done that; new rear brake pads were $600 installed in Whitehorse CA.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just in case you've never adjusted manual drum brakes, this is the procedure:

1. Jack up trailer and secure on adequate capacity jack
stands. Follow trailer manufacturer’s recommendations for
lifting and supporting the unit. Make sure the wheel and
drum rotates freely.

2. Remove the adjusting hole cover from the adjusting slot on
the bottom of the brake backing plate.

3. With a screwdriver or standard adjusting tool, rotate the
star-wheel of the adjuster assembly to expand the brake
shoes. Adjust the brake shoes out until the pressure of the
linings against the drum makes the wheel very difficult to
turn.

4. Then rotate the star-wheel in the opposite direction until the
wheel turns freely with a slight lining drag. (usually this is 8-10 star-wheel clicks)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 12:30 AM, 57becky said:

Why not just replace the backing plate assemblies with self adjusting assemblies?  Then you will have new shoes and magnets and they will adjust themselves and you won't have to worry about adjusting while on long trips.

Thanks.  That sounds like a really good idea.