Popping solar panel quick fuses

If the fuse blew there's no reason to think the panel is trash. Check the polarity of the wiring to make sure it's not wired backwards. If not check the continuity on the socket in the trailer to make sure there is not a dead short on the hot wire with a VOM. Of course you need to replace the fuse in the electrical box. I'll bet the trailer and solar panel wiring is reversed.

Chip

Those are not fuses but diodes. Sounds like you hooked the panel directly to your battery and got the polarity wrong. If you are lucky, you can replace the diodes.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Are you sure it was a "Fuse" on the back of the panel or a Diode ??? I agree with the other fine gents, make sure you wired the panel AT THE CORRECT POLARITY. Then investigate if it was a Fuse or Diode and replace/repair as necessary. Hopefully if it was just wired at reverse polarity you didn't damage the panel.

John T

Have you checked with NewPowa's website ?

https://www.newpowa.com/products/newpowa-100w-12v-monocrystalline-high-efficiency-solar-panel

We have an old fashion mom n pop electronics supply house in our town but since Rat Shack went out of business I can't tell you where to buy new diodes. They are NOT rocket science as far as replacements, most garden variety diodes will work, they are just an inexpensive two wire (In and Out) device (think of them as a one way current flow check valve).. All you need to know is their current, voltage and power capacity, and it don't hurt if you use one that has higher (voltage and current) ratings. For 100 Watts at 12 volts (Vmp is higher) Id say one rated for 20 amps and 100 volts would work fine, JUST BE SURE AND WIRE THEM AND THE BATTERY/PANEL POLARITY CORRECT THIS TIME.   

DISCLAIMER I have no NewPowa specs or data or diagrams and no idea what they actually use SO THE ABOVE MAY BE WRONG AS RAIN. Check with them to insure what diodes or fuses or anything else that they use and needs replaced (whatever it was that caused the "pop" ????) the above is ONLY a pure guess NO WARRANTY

PS if a diode was of adequate rating it should be able to withstand and block reverse current flow without failing. I just don't know if a "popping" was necessarily a diode or a fuse or perhaps something else ??

Maybe someone can give you an Amazon or E Bay or an actual NewPOwa part number, maybe even a picture

John T

Edited by oldjohnt