Coat Hangers?

aztex

Hi,

I found some RV coat hangers (Lynx Stay Put) that grip more of the pole but cost more than $1 a piece. In the scheme of things RV not that much of an expense, it would cost me ~$28-$35 to stock up but I'm counting down to a June 1 lift off and counting pennies at this stage.

Are there any alternatives to these?

Thanks!

I just use regular coat hangers and have never had a coat hanger come off the rod, nor any clothes fall off the hanger while traveling, and my closet is in the very rear of my MH - even going down bumpy and washboarded roads while boondocking. I have a gas motorhome. A diesel MH with airbags has an even smoother ride. Maybe someone with a fiver could report their experience.

Edited by sushidog

When we were fulltimers, we did so in a fifth wheel.  Like sushidog, we never had a problem using regular hangers and our closet was in the very front of the rig (over the pickup bed).  We now have a Class C with a side closet and, again, we've had no problems with clothes falling off the hangers.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Can the rod be changed out to one with slots for the hangers?

Try wrapping the rubberized shelf liner around the original rod.

WalMart used to handle some nice heavy hangers - very cheap by the pack.

If all else fails, perhaps you just need more clothes hanging so they can't move around.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I have been full time now for 8 years, 5 years in a fifth wheel and 3 years so far in a Class A and have never had any problems with the hangers in my closets.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, aztex said:

Hi,

I found some RV coat hangers (Lynx Stay Put) that grip more of the pole but cost more than $1 a piece. In the scheme of things RV not that much of an expense, it would cost me ~$28-$35 to stock up but I'm counting down to a June 1 lift off and counting pennies at this stage.

Thanks!

LOL . RV coat hangers . They must be a very high end luxury .

What they won't think of next . Amazing . And , only a dollar each . 

Save your pennies for things like tires and ice cream . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

More than once we have opened the closet and found every hanger on the floor of the closet!  Now, on move, day my wife will group ten hangers together and bind them with a small bunge cord.  Now if we hit a good whopdedo the cloaths stay on the bar!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

I have had some hanger bounce issues since we went to a travel trailer. To resolve the problem I modified the rod hanger to allow me to put a dowel rod into place about 1/4" above the clothing rod before travel.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My wife prefers the "fuzzy" hangers that keep her blouses, etc., from slipping off, and back when we had our little Class C the rear closet would sometimes see some "hanger bounce" issues. My fix was to just squeeze the hooks down until they were a snug fit over the rod. Problem solved...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have a large closet over the curbside wheel well.  I had a problem early on with the rod coming loose and dropping every thing. I found a way to support the rod better almost in the middle and that solved the problem. This a long rod and I think the clothes would bunch in the middle and create "bounce".  Less clothes probably would have helped.

I also had an occaisional issue with the "shirt" closets on the back wall but it was so long ago and so seldom I don't remember what I did.  

For reference my rig is a 30 foot travel trailer.

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I shouldn't have to say this , but , you folks aren't suppose to be playing wreck 'em derby with your RVs . ;) '

😄

All it takes is one good whoop-dee-doo to knock them all off.  

Our clothes bar in our fiver is slotted and we never have had a problem. But in our travel trailer, we sure did. It was the usual round pipe type. I simply took a piece of flat aluminum bar 1" wide and cut the length equal to the pipe. Then on each end of the flat bar, I pop riveted a broom handle snap clamp. Snapped it over the top of the pipe. When wanting to get clothing on a hanger off the pipe, we just simply turned the flat bar to the back of the pipe and the hangers lifted out easily.  

Edited by bobsallyh

1 hour ago, aztex said:

😄

All it takes is one good whoop-dee-doo to knock them all off.  

I must be doing something wrong . In about 10 years of full timing , we've not had a single 'incident' .

What are you doing hitting  anything close to resembling whoop-de-doos ? Let alone at a speed it would take to create the described level of calamity ? 

Maybe a good idea to slow down ? 

5 hours ago, orca said:

More than once we have opened the closet and found every hanger on the floor of the closet!  Now, on move, day my wife will group ten hangers together and bind them with a small bunge cord.  Now if we hit a good whopdedo the cloaths stay on the bar!

Cover the rod with some of the rubber shelf liner, might help

i have never had a pro with the coat hangers coming off

Our clothes closet is in the nose of the fiver.  Not once have we had anything fall off.  In fact, the soap and razor have only slid off the little shelf in the shower a couple times. We do have an air ride hitch though......  But, things stay put in the back of the unit as well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I must be doing something wrong . In about 10 years of full timing , we've not had a single 'incident' .

What are you doing hitting  anything close to resembling whoop-de-doos ? Let alone at a speed it would take to create the described level of calamity ? 

Maybe a good idea to slow down ? 

Let me guess... you're driving a Class A... or a 5th wheel...

Try it with a trailer and a slight rise and fall is enough to some zero gravity effects. I've had it happen at 20mph or less when you can't judge the country road.

It also depends on where the closet it. My last trailer it was far in the back behind a single axle.

There's a reason it's illegal to ride in a towed trailer and it's the same reason that can launch clothes of hangers... Supposedly a constant 6 on the Richter scale earthquake too...

20 minutes ago, aztex said:

Let me guess... you're driving a Class A... or a 5th wheel...

Try it with a trailer and a slight rise and fall is enough to some zero gravity effects. I've had it happen at 20mph or less when you can't judge the country road.

It also depends on where the closet it. My last trailer it was far in the back behind a single axle.

There's a reason it's illegal to ride in a towed trailer and it's the same reason that can launch clothes of hangers... Supposedly a constant 6 on the Richter scale earthquake too...

You're right . I drive a class A . We do prefer the smaller roads , so I do find 'bumps' fairly often . 

And , I do know some about trailer suspension and the lack thereof . I tow a trailer behind our Monaco and use to find things out of place . So , I can understand where you're coming from . 

It might be easier to just trade that trailer in on a nice class A . ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

You're right . I drive a class A . We do prefer the smaller roads , so I do find 'bumps' fairly often . 

And , I do know some about trailer suspension and the lack thereof . I tow a trailer behind our Monaco and use to find things out of place . So , I can understand where you're coming from . 

It might be easier to just trade that trailer in on a nice class A . ;)

Hmm... $20 worth of hangers or buy a new rig....

😄

Edited by aztex

We had a problem in our bed room closet (front of the 5'er) with the hangars coming off, but I made a pole (per SWharton) to support the center of the clothes rod and it fixed the issue.  Evidently, the weight of the clothes made the rod bounce and flex and eventually throw the clothes off.  We also have a rod across the very back of the garage that holds our coats/jackets.  It too would throw them off on rough roads/expansion joints.  The center rod concept helped but didn't completely solve the problem so we finally reversed every other hangar on the rod so the hooks went opposite ways and "interlocked".  We then bungeed them all together.  That solved the problem. 

Edited by mb36912
ref'd SWharton

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

I had this same problem only once in my previous rig.  I put the hangers in backwards, and that seemed to solve the issue.  As best as I could figure it out, the rod was close enough to the back wall, that the clothes would be pressed against the back wall of the closet, thus preventing movement of the hanger.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

On 4/9/2020 at 10:28 AM, aztex said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Look at the shape of the Lynx Stay Put hangers, then picture your standard hangers and a pair of pliers. Problem solved... 😉

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system