Jump to content
j2catfish

Trouble crossing State borders?

Recommended Posts

Has anyone experienced any trouble while driving across State borders ? The television says that the Texas folks are stopping vehicles with

out of state tags (especially Louisiana), I guess to test for the virus.  Being from Texas, and semi-planning a trip back to God's country with

North Carolina tags, are we gonna have any problems?  I don't mind the testing as right now we be Ok, no outward signs of infections.

Catfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that they are only stopping LA vehicles. I know that they only do so coming from LA. If you come on I-30 you shouldn’t have any problems. 

Edited by Kirk W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will have to complete a form on where you will quarantine yourself for 14 days if staying in Texas. They will then do spot checks to see if you are there. If not you could be subject to fines.

 

For what it is worth, Texas has also closed all State parks as of today.

 

Edited by Big Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're in SE NM, and need to get up to SD sometime between 1 June and 7 September. We have a wedding to attend in NW IA in late May, so we were going to go to the wedding, then over to SD to get our licenses renewed. I'm guessing that we will be able to renew our licenses in time, but we may not be able to get to the wedding.

Is there any issue with just passing through a State? As I write this, Nebraska has not closed down. I'm thinking that maybe we could get up to NW NM, overnight there, and then make it up to NE the next day, without stopping for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have So Dakota plates just tell them you are trying to get home to So Dakota. That is where you are trying to eventually get to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a reliable story about a Michigan couple that got laid off... packed up their TT and left for Florida.   They got turned back at the Florida State Line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know about other states, but a week ago I crossed into California at I-10.  I got stopped at the California Agricultural Inspection Station and the inspector, spotting my Texas tags, asked if I had driven all the way from Texas to go camping in California.  I answered that no - I was coming from Quartzsite and if I didn’t have a commitment I couldn’t get out of, I’d STILL be in Quartzsite.  The inspector grinned and said “have a nice day.”

I’m getting more and more concerned about where to go when the weather here gets too hot.  There’s the question about where to find a place to stay and are there services nearby.  Now it’s a question of whether I can actually get there at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are businesses, government offices, schools, and many other things that are closed. Walgreen pharmacy is not letting anyone in the door, drive through only.  But I don't believe any state can close it's borders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida, I understand has closed their border. They were directing all non Florida Vehicles into a weigh station and letting commercial trucks bypass the station. If you tried to bypass it, you were pulled over by waiting LEO's and escorted into the station. It was on the news here in South Carolina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is pretty difficult for any state to completely close their borders, with the highways and byways which cross in hundreds of locations, but here is a report from the NY Times that gives information that is as current as they have available. 

The Open Road Calls, but Authorities Say ‘Stop’

In addition, the Times keeps a count of cases by state & county that seems to be as accurate as any source that I have found. Here is a link to their case count by state and you can then break it down by county if you choose to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

I’m getting more and more concerned about where to go when the weather here gets too hot.  There’s the question about where to find a place to stay and are there services nearby.  Now it’s a question of whether I can actually get there at all.

I'm pretty sure you would have little to no trouble finding a commercial park to stay in most areas of the country.  Many are still open and have plenty of space.  Moab, UT and Montrose, CO are 2 such places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very sensible response.  If you have a reservation at a campground for a significant length of time (two weeks to a month depending on the state) traveling will not be an issue.  You may be stopped and questioned and forced to self-quarantine like Texas.  But any attempt to actually close a state border will be stopped quickly until the Commerce clause of the US Constitution gets suspended. 

I don't doubt you will hear those stories about people on the highway turned back.  Might be one or two stories with a smidgen of truth but important details are missing.  Just people stirring it up and passing along rumours.  If you've got legitimate reasons then don't worry.

 

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

I'm pretty sure you would have little to no trouble finding a commercial park to stay in most areas of the country.  Many are still open and have plenty of space.  Moab, UT and Montrose, CO are 2 such places.

 

Edited by Beerboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"-----between. Some states and municipalities are setting up border checkpoints and screenings, which may affect your trip, though no state has blocked through travel."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how TX is God's Country to the person with NC plates but as the temps hit 90 F, today, God's Country looks like the UP of MI for this Texan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US Constitution allows the freedom of travel and can only be preempted by a declaration of Martial Law which has not yet happened. Marshal Law can be declared only by the President of the US or a State Governor for His/Her State. However, for health concerns or for national security extreme restrictions can be put into place by the POTUS, Gov, Mayor, City Council etc. 

The Gov of FL has instituted check points at I-95 and I-10 leading into FL. Anyone entering FL must provide an address as to where they are going and agree to self quarantine at that address for 14 days. Law Enforcement may make random calls to insure compliance. No one is being prevented from entering unless perhaps if they do not have an address to give such as someone traveling in an RV with our reservations somewhere.

All State Parks are closed in FL as well as many private parks. Many that are open are not talking new reservations or only reservations of 30 days or more, no daily r weekly stays. I left FL a week ago and am in GA. Two camp grounds would not take my reservation, a third allowed me a 30 day stay. My next stop was going to be at the GA/TN border. The camp ground I was going to stay at is not taking new reservations but I have found one a little further up the road in TN, costing more $$$, that is still open but all amenities within the camp ground are closed.

Not sure what TX, CA, MI etc. are doing but they can not close their border entirely with the declaration of Martial Law. They can however place restrictions on travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Got a reliable story about a Michigan couple that got laid off... packed up their TT and left for Florida.   They got turned back at the Florida State Line.

We came out of Florida last week and Florida was stopping southbound traffic at the Ga, Florida border on I 95.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, j2catfish said:

Has anyone experienced any trouble while driving across State borders ? The television says that the Texas folks are stopping vehicles with

out of state tags (especially Louisiana), I guess to test for the virus.  Being from Texas, and semi-planning a trip back to God's country with

North Carolina tags, are we gonna have any problems?  I don't mind the testing as right now we be Ok, no outward signs of infections.

Catfish

We crossed 7 state  borders Florida to Ohio last week with no problems however VA and Wva closed all campgrounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, j2catfish said:

Has anyone experienced any trouble while driving across State borders ? The television says that the Texas folks are stopping vehicles with

out of state tags (especially Louisiana), I guess to test for the virus.  Being from Texas, and semi-planning a trip back to God's country with

North Carolina tags, are we gonna have any problems?  I don't mind the testing as right now we be Ok, no outward signs of infections.

Catfish

2 weeks ago I entered Tx at Texarkana  took Hwy 82 to  Wichita Falls the 287 to Amarillo and I40 to NM just east of Albq. This was before they were checking Louisiana folks and of course I was coming out of Arkansas. The Tx tourist beauru was closed but you could park there at that time. If I was going to do a Walmart I would do the one about 20 miles east of TXKNA  at New Boston.  There is on in Paris, Tx  that is  usually crowded with trucks.  Then just off Hwy 82 in Sherman and Gainesville.  This may not be usefull but my motto is 2 much information rather than not enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We're in SE NM, and need to get up to SD sometime between 1 June and 7 September. We have a wedding to attend in NW IA in late May, so we were going to go to the wedding, then over to SD to get our licenses renewed. I'm guessing that we will be able to renew our licenses in time, but we may not be able to get to the wedding.

Is there any issue with just passing through a State? As I write this, Nebraska has not closed down. I'm thinking that maybe we could get up to NW NM, overnight there, and then make it up to NE the next day, without stopping for anything.

With that time frame it could all change and be fine but keep in mind if the wedding is at some venues it could be postponed at the very least.  That happened 3 weeks ago to my grand daughter. And of course a number of out of state family and friends couldn't risk it.  I probably shouldn't have but sometimes thats what granpa's do even if they otherwise have good sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, j2catfish said:

Has anyone experienced any trouble while driving across State borders ? The television says that the Texas folks are stopping vehicles with

out of state tags (especially Louisiana), I guess to test for the virus.  Being from Texas, and semi-planning a trip back to God's country with

North Carolina tags, are we gonna have any problems?  I don't mind the testing as right now we be Ok, no outward signs of infections.

Catfish

Just drove into Arizona and Utah this afternoon on I15. No problems at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Twotoes said:

The US Constitution allows the freedom of travel and can only be preempted by a declaration of Martial Law which has not yet happened. Marshal Law can be declared only by the President of the US or a State Governor for His/Her State. However, for health concerns or for national security extreme restrictions can be put into place by the POTUS, Gov, Mayor, City Council etc. 

 

The supreme court has taken this issue up in the past, specifically dealing with outbreaks regarding public health, it has upheld the states ability for police power including closing borders and restraining individuals liberty as the welfare of the general public may demand.

This has been done without declaring Martial law which is the imposition of military authority on a civilian population as a substitute for civil authority

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a relative traveling with TT from AZ to IL at this time, No problem. His advice is get campground reservations. One his three night reservation called back stating they were closing the campground, but he was still welcome because he had a reservation, This campground is eastern Iowa off I-80.

Clay hoping Campgrounds are open when I travel north next month?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, palmeris said:

The supreme court has taken this issue up in the past, specifically dealing with outbreaks regarding public health, it has upheld the states ability for police power including closing borders and restraining individuals liberty as the welfare of the general public may demand.

This has been done without declaring Martial law which is the imposition of military authority on a civilian population as a substitute for civil authority

Correct, as I stated in my post, for health concerns or national security the President, Governor of a State, Mayor or City Council can impose restrictions. But only the President or Governor can impose Martial Law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...