Commercial policy for non commercial use

GlennWest

Interesting you mention that. Opposite from others are telling me about that policy they got for non commercial use. The only reason I would consider it is that we essentially have no coverage away from the camper. I do short duration jobs between large jobs. They pay great and really helps the bottom end. Some are just a few days. I could live in the truck a few days and shower at truck stops. Hate to pay for a hotel. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Big Rick’s comment I think is a bit misleading. Commonly in the trucking industry, owner operators that are leased to a carrier, are only covered by said carrier’s insurance policy when they are under dispatch. Hence the existence of “bobtail” insurance policies for coverage when not working for the contracted carrier.

Now back to your question, my last experience with Progressive commercial insurance was about 15 years ago. The only downside to the policy was it had a quite restrictive mileage radius. I think it was a 300 mile limit. No idea if they still work the same.

Currently, I am insured under a “farm” policy. The only restriction is that I cannot haul anything for someone else. I can operate “commercially” if I want, but must be hauling my own stuff. Cost is about the same as my F350 that is on the same policy. (All that said, the S&B is insured as a farm by the same carrier.)

Read the whole policy, before you drop one cent on it. We run under a commercial policy, better pricing than the few policies we could source under non-commercial, very few exclusions. Most of the exclusions deal with "For Profit" hauling, and "Illegal" activities involving border crossings, and questionable loads.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Our "farm policy" has the same restrictions as mentioned by Moresmoke.  That said, our farm insurer doesn't do recreation vehicles, period.  So, we had a rv policy that covers just that, again, commercial activity is not allowed, though any legal activity, including bob tailing and moving other non-com trailers is okay.  We often use the truck for grocery runs and sight seeing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Every state has their own set of rules on all policies, that said, my Kansas com policy is for my truck alone or towing any trailer.    There are no restrictions on driving bob tail or what I can tow, never tried getting RV insurance, my broker gave me a reasonable quote on the truck.    She knew the truck was for personal use and, said it would be written as a commercial policy because of the vehicle.   I insured the truck before I registered it as an RV.     

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

We used to have a "non commercial activity" commercial policy on our HDT. It was dirt cheap, but only offered liability coverage. We recently changed insurers, its a good bit more now, insured as a private vehicle but we have much better coverage. Under either policy there were no restrictions for bob tailing.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

With my current policy, which i just got, I can bob tail (sorta bad term for our trucks with beds on them). use as a pickup. I can't tow anyone else camper. I can't go long ways off without camper. Basically it is tied to the camper. Usually I am fine with this. I have stayed on a jobsite for a few days and lived out of it. That is a no no with current coverage. Also if I wanted to go, say to NC with family members, I would like to carry car on truck and stay. Not getting much clothes in a Smartcar. So drive truck. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have a tx commercial policy from progressive.

there was an option for restricting the journey, or unlimited.

i understand it to allow unlimited bob tailing, from memory.  Policy from Donnely-Bay in Sealy, don’t remember the lady’s name  

mine is liability only.

btw- Irby construction is still working near LaGrange, running a 36” or so pipeline, they haven’t shut down yet. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I never carried collision until I got old enough for it to get cheap.  Now that I'm a geezer, it's so stupid cheap I wouldn't be without it on a newer vehicle. 

That said, I never had new, never had a loan, never had a wreck.  Been driving 50 years without a claim.  I do carry max liability, uninsured motorist, fire/theft, comp.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

It seems once you hit 60 years old, collision is cheap.  For the vette, it was exactly half what it is for the Lexus.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

We have progressive for our commercial trucks. I don't know of any restrictions. I have State Farm for my HDT also with no restrictions.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

My truck is 20 years old and has plenty of issues.  Dents won’t make much difference. 

I actually don’t carry collision on anything, 3 vehicles over 180k miles, and one car that is 12 years old.  Cheaper to buy parts and replace them myself than pay collision. 

I don’t pull my house around, and only a small amount of my net worth is tied up in each vehicle, so i have a hard time justifying extra cost.

when we get hailed, i’ll probably regret that decision. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

3 hours ago, Exile said:

My truck is 20 years old and has plenty of issues.  Dents won’t make much difference. 

I actually don’t carry collision on anything, 3 vehicles over 180k miles, and one car that is 12 years old.  Cheaper to buy parts and replace them myself than pay collision. 

I don’t pull my house around, and only a small amount of my net worth is tied up in each vehicle, so i have a hard time justifying extra cost.

when we get hailed, i’ll probably regret that decision. 

Reminds me of an incident and the resulting conversation I had with the insurance company about 10 years ago.

Insuance co, “Sir, you do not have collision coverage on your 1986 Freightliner.”

Me, “Which part of ‘86 Freightliner did you miss?”

(I had just called the ins co to let them know a liability claim would be coming.)

That old truck would gain 10% in value when you filled the tanks. And most of the rest of the value was mounted on rims.