Got my Census notice

agesilaus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my notice in the mail today.  I plan to take care of it this weekend.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

For those that have not, they have moved online they send you a PIN and a website you are supposed to use to enter your data. They have moved into the late 20th century anyway...

That was the original plan for 2020, even before the COVID-19 problem came up. I got mine a week ago and took care of it the following day. It takes no more than 10 minutes. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I received the first notice Mar 19. I received the second notice Mar. 14????? Oh well, it's a done deal now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I received the second notice Mar. 14????? Oh well, it's a done deal now.

Interesting.... I got my first one on March 12 and went online to complete it a day or so later. I just got my second notice on March 19. Makes me wonder if the reminders are all automatic even if you have already responded? 

I also got a reminder about a week after I mailed in the original form.  In between a Census taker appeared at my door to collect the information in person.  Her only question was how many people lived here.

One problem may be that the mailbox numbers in the Pahrump park don't correspond to the physical lot numbers, something I noted when I returned the original form.

So the reminders are either automated or I've been double counted.

Edited by Lou Schneider

47 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

I also got a reminder about a week after I mailed in the original form.  In between a Census taker appeared at my door to collect the information in person.  Her only question was how many people lived here.

I also believe the reminders are automatic just as a reminder to do it online.  I tossed it already but I believe it said something like if we don't receive an online reply the will send you a paper questionnaire in a few weeks. 

I also thought the census takers aren't doing personal visits yet.  That's strange that you were only asked one question.  Are you sure it was a census taker?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

It's quite easy to complete the online form even if you haven't received the questionnaire and the associated PIN.  Follow the appropriate link for "I don't have the form" and enter your address.  As long as it can identify the location the system is happy.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The  form letter I received explained the progression; letter to complete online page, failing that a hard copy would be mailed, failing that an in-person census taker would visit my HOR=home of record.

As Joel stated, it is quite easy to do online; 10 minutes at most. I didn't attempt, but I suspect it may even be completed on a smart-phone.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We got our first notice today. Plan to complete it promptly. I was a non-response follow-up agent in 1990 and it amazed me the number of people who "knew" they didn't have to do this. One neighbor tried to pretend they sent it in the day before but I wasn't allowed to accept that answer. Be prompt, people. In our current health situation you don't want a census taker showing up at your door.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 minute ago, agesilaus said:

I don't think I have ever been sent the long form.

We were sent a second, more detailed questionnaire once, I believe it must have been 1980. I know it was mailed to us and as an addendum to the original form that had been previously mailed in. It was too long ago to recall any specific questions that were asked, but I do remember that it was a booklet that was pages long and I believe it took about a half hour to complete. I do remember that it asked about our type of housing, veteran status, ages of people in the home, and a lot of other general information. 

This is the first time I recall the short form asking what ethnic background I was.  It wasn't enough to put "White/Caucasian"; one was asked to also include something like "English, German, etc."

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

This is a piece of cake.  The agricultural census is brutal by comparison, easily taking an hour or more to complete. And they ask way too many personal/financial questions.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, docj said:

This is the first time I recall the short form asking what ethnic background I was.  It wasn't enough to put "White/Caucasian"; one was asked to also include something like "English, German, etc."

I put USA in the origin box. I decided everything else was too many generations ago to matter. OUR origins are here.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I also thought the census takers aren't doing personal visits yet.  That's strange that you were only asked one question.  Are you sure it was a census taker?

She certainly looked official.  I believe the in-person visit was because this park (Pair-A-Dice) doesn't use the lot number as the mailbox number so short of a personal visit there's no way to match up mailed notices with the physical lots.

I went through the same thing when I registered my vehicles at the DMV, after I said it was the SKP park they knew what I was talking about.  So all my vehicle registrations have separate mailing and physical addresses, differing only in the box or space number.

The census taker was satisfied when I said I had already mailed in the initial form.  And she stood 6 ft. back from my RV door the whole time.

Edited by Lou Schneider

30 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I put USA in the origin box. I decided everything else was too many generations ago to matter. OUR origins are here.

I like your approach.  Sorry I didn't think to do that.  Who cares where my grandparents immigrated from over 100 years ago?

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I reviewed the on line version, while short, they ask way too many personal question for an “enumeration “

None of their business what my name is, my race, age number of different items.

I normally  return it with only the number of people in the household 

Edited by Big Rick

Received the long form in 1990. I got annoyed at the detailed questions. Basically mind your business. The form had every box checked where multiple answers were available. In 2000 got the long form again. Checked every box again. A couple weeks later a neighbor, working for census, came in the driveway. He said "Bill about the census form, it wasn't properly filled out."  I replied that the number of people living in the house was properly enumerated.  After  some discussion he admitted that were no legal consequences and left. Number of people at that address is all that is required. 

My $.02

Bill,

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Every 10 years this discussion comes up on Escapees and most other forums. Since I have never been one to believe in government conspiracy, I have always willingly responded honestly as I can to whatever has been asked, but I am also a person to check things out and so I have done that with the US Census several times over the years. While it can be a lot of fun to speculate on what they ask and why the ask it, you could learn more by visiting the US Census, What We Do from the internet.

Our Mission

The Census Bureau's mission is to serve as the nation’s leading provider of quality data about its people and economy.

As near as either of us can remember, the time we got the booklet sized questionnaire it did ask most of the questions others have suggested. If you are interested you can discover what the data collected is used for, but the census is the source of data for the division of nearly all federal money for specific projects for things from road construction, to economic improvement funds, to supporting of the arts, building parks, to funding senior centers & medical centers, caring for the homeless, facilities for veterans, and a very long list of other things. I will say that the question of national origin for each of us surprised me but it doesn't frighten me to respond as it might lead to some interesting statistical data and I am comfortable in the knowledge that Lou Schneider  will be able to learn that I have only 1 bathroom and where I live or what income range we fall into! It is what they call, safety in numbers. If you mix my answers in with those of 300 million other Americans, I really doubt that Lew or anyone else can learn anything personal about me.

13 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

She certainly looked official.

That is interesting as I just took the following information from 2020 Census at a Glance.

June 2020 through July 2020—Census takers go door to door to count people who have not responded to the 2020 Census. Census takers are Census Bureau employees and will provide proof that they are official government personnel.

I'm sad to hear that many of you don't complete the forms, check all the boxes, or otherwise don't answer truthfully.  For people who do genealogy, census forms can provide a wealth of information.  They are not released to the public until 70 years after the census year.  In 2010, the 1940 census was released.  This year, the 1950 census will be released. 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

I'm sad to hear that many of you don't complete the forms, check all the boxes, or otherwise don't answer truthfully.  For people who do genealogy, census forms can provide a wealth of information.  They are not released to the public until 70 years after the census year.  In 2010, the 1940 census was released.  This year, the 1950 census will be released. 

I agree with the overall principle, but some questions, such as the one about "ethnic origins" I mentioned previously seem ridiculous.  I'm a second generation American and even I have a number of ethnicity boxes I can check and still be truthful.  But what about my grandson whose ethnicity includes: Polish, German, Ukrainian, English, Cherokee, African, and Puerto Rican?  Does it really help anyone for him to check all those boxes?

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador