KEEP THE CAMPGROUNDS OPEN PETITION

rynosback

13 hours ago, rynosback said:

I get that, but when you close and tell everyone that they have to leave, you are causing movement of people. At that defeats The Whole goal of shelter in place.

It is the same problem that fulltimers have had to deal with as long as the practice has existed. They are such a small proportion of the total population in most areas that government and other officials tend to overlook them, if they even realize the lifestyle exists. A few states that are impacted in a major way economically do take note. TX is keeping state campgrounds open, while closing facilities in the parks, from the latest that I have heard here. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked the rates at our next four private campground stops, mostly overnights, and it looks like all have held the line with just a couple with modest increases that took effect the first of the year.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just remember as a traveler you are risky.    And although you may be practicing good sense, some are not.   We had large families to our park using the waterslide in town.   I cant believe they had not closed the waterslide.

Some parks have large, older at risk communities such as the Co-op parks.

1 hour ago, trostberg said:

We had large families to our park using the waterslide in town.   I cant believe they had not closed the waterslide.

Maybe they figured there was enough chlorine in the water to kill anything which got coughed/sneezed up.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

13 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It is the same problem that fulltimers have had to deal with as long as the practice has existed. They are such a small proportion of the total population in most areas that government and other officials tend to overlook them, if they even realize the lifestyle exists. A few states that are impacted in a major way economically do take note. TX is keeping state campgrounds open, while closing facilities in the parks, from the latest that I have heard here. 

Well, one county in TX has mandated the close of ALL campgrounds and Hotels. Effective this Monday.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

Well, one county in TX has mandated the close of ALL campgrounds and Hotels. Effective this Monday.

What county is that? If you mean Travis County, I just read the order and it closes all county parks but does not address closing campgrounds. 

29 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

What county is that? If you mean Travis County, I just read the order and it closes all county parks but does not address closing campgrounds. 

Brewster County.  Here is the order.

Spring Break is a busy time for the Big Bend area, thousands of visitors normally.  It will probably cost the County lot's of money to do this, but they don't have the facilities to handle a large scale medical emergency.  I think the hospital in Alpine is only like 25 beds.  Anyway, this is the only County I know of to close such facilities to outsiders.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Brewster County.

Yes. I just located it also. It does leave a possible out for a fulltimer in the last line.

image.thumb.png.76fb00b805081fad162d75cae0e2bf82.png

I would doubt that order would impact the state parks, if there are any in Brewster Co.

image.png

Edited by Kirk W

Yeah, I think Brewster County is saying "if you want to ignore the government and the doctors and the scientists advice to stay home and isolate, fine.  If you're determined to come to Big Bend for Spring Break, fine, but you're not going to stay in our hotels, motels, air BNB's, and RV parks, nor will you eat at our restaurants". 

You can argue about whether their actions are wise or not, but you have to give them credit for getting out in front and trying to do the right thing, even when it means a loss of much money for the area.

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

You can argue about whether their actions are wise or not, but you have to give them credit for getting out in front and trying to do the right thing, even when it means a loss of much money for the area.

And that is probably our best hope to stop this from heading in the wrong direction. It is too early to know how well it is working, but I view it much like putting on my seat belt when I drive. 

They are worried about overloading their minimal medical facilities in the area.  Alpine is a 17 bed band-aid station and nothing more.  Locals have to go to Midland/Odessa for anything more than a scratch.

But remember, they sure love your money in good times.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Graham County in western NC has instituted a curfew and is completely denying access to the county to non-residents. All lodging and campgrounds are closed. They also lack medical facilities and have limited first responders.

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Dallas Co. is now on a shelter in place order at least until April 4. I expect to see that happen statewide in a day or two. KY has also gone that way. If you doubt the need, check the reports out of Italy. 

While not directly related to camping (they have no campgrounds) I can relate to the problems of Moab.  My brother lives full time & works construction on Nantucket Island.  Winter population 11,229, summer 60,000+.  The island is 35 miles off the coast of Mass.  

They have a "Cottage Hospital" with 19 beds.  They have shut down all construction (with large fines for anyone working) to limit workers from coming to the island on the ferries. Unfortunately, many of the NY summer home owners are escaping the downstate NY area and taking up temporary residence in their summer homes on the island.  With the discovery of the first case of Covid-19, they issued a stay at home order for the island, but any serious outbreak will easily overwhelm the island's medical capabilities.

The 35 mile ocean crossing is even more of a problem than land routes from Moab to larger facilities.  Back in 2010 I was helicoptered from the Nantucket hospital to Boston for a medical emergency at a cost of $13,300. 

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

On 3/22/2020 at 6:53 AM, Kirk W said:

Here is the letter I was talking about. https://www.m109riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=387202&d=1584844877

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Probably won't affect many of you but Alachua County FL/Gainesville has issued a 'home detention order' and closed all 'non-essential businesses'. Supermarkets can't have more than 50 people inside so I guess there will be a mob milling around outside waiting to get in. And restaurants

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:40 PM, rynosback said:

I get that, but when you close and tell everyone that they have to leave, you are causing movement of people. At that defeats The Whole goal of shelter in place. You leave them open and close up all of the buildings. I say this as I’m a full time RVer and campgrounds are my home. Weekend warriors should not travel and stay in there stick and bricks home.

We are not weekend warriors. Our home right now is our RV lot in Florida. We may or may not be able to travel to our S&B up North. Fulltimers knew there would be risks involved. This is one of them.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We are in Brewster County, TX and the 3/23 amendment to the closure mandate allows anyone who signed a long term (monthly) contract and already here before March 9th to stay and continue on as long-term "residents".  No new customers are allowed in motels, hotels, AirBNB's, or campgrounds.  Exceptions are being made for law enforcement, health professionals, and other "essential" service personnel.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

On 3/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, rynosback said:

I get that, but when you close and tell everyone that they have to leave, you are causing movement of people. At that defeats The Whole goal of shelter in place. You leave them open and close up all of the buildings. I say this as I’m a full time RVer and campgrounds are my home. Weekend warriors should not travel and stay in there stick and bricks home.

Amen.  The state of California closed its parks to overnight camping (I was evicted), yet left the restrooms open for public day use.  We campers are self-contained and don't need to use the restrooms, but I guess the powers at be think we all travel together in big groups and have no idea what's going on.

I just got this petition in an Escapees email , but yet  many Escapees parks are closed to new arrivals.  Not sure I follow that. 

Thank goodness for Day's End, where I can find nice places off the road which won't be subject to any of this. Unless there's some kind of martial law enforcement of no travel, I'll be fine.  I'm waiting out some cold weather between Quartzsite and my home in NW New Mexico, and  I need just a few more days to do that.  I'd rather be home than sweating out some kind of insane lockdown...although there won't be much to do when I get there.

Edited by hemsteadc

Smokey Mtn. Nat'l Park is now closed.  It seems the free entrance to day visitors created more problems of masses of people.  I could see that coming.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

16 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I just got this petition in an Escapees email , but yet  many Escapees parks are closed to new arrivals.  Not sure I follow that. 

No Escapee owned RV park is closed. (Rainbow Parks) Some of the co-op parks have closed to non-member visitors while others have not but they each make their own decisions by the board and the Escapee management has no control over them. Escapee management has done what they can to influence them to stay open to fulltimers, but that is limited. This lack of ability to control is one of the reasons that they no longer take part in creating more co-op parks. Have you not bothered to read the notices the club is sending out?

Edited by Kirk W

• 2 weeks later...

We returned from Florida a couple of days ago. We stayed at KOA campgrounds they were at 30% capacity maybe.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Darrel1953 said:

Please let me know of any ways I can help.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Did you sign the petition at the link above? In addition, you could contact your elected representatives about the problems.