KEEP THE CAMPGROUNDS OPEN PETITION

rynosback

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many signers would volunteer to clean the restrooms and do the other chores needed to keep the parks open under the current circumstances?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Some of the parks are only closing the overnight camping.  They are still open for day use.  Are they going to close the restrooms for day use?

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

5 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Some of the parks are only closing the overnight camping.  They are still open for day use.  Are they going to close the restrooms for day use?

Ken

I have no idea how they're handling the remaining open facilities. The campgrounds usually have separate restrooms from the day users.

Dutch

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I wonder how many signers would volunteer to clean the restrooms and do the other chores needed to keep the parks open under the current circumstances?

Mississippi solved the problem, at least here at George P. Cossar SP.  Padlocks on the bathrooms.  The laundry is still open.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

19 minutes ago, vermilye said:

Mississippi solved the problem, at least here at George P. Cossar SP.  Padlocks on the bathrooms.  The laundry is still open.

I'm not surprised... Some states are locking up the public buildings at rest areas as well.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I'm not surprised... Some states are locking up the public buildings at rest areas as well.

I agree that they should. But leave the campgrounds open so people can shelter in place. But forcing them to leave a remote campground to one that is around a dense population will make things worse.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

I agree that they should. But leave the campgrounds open so people can shelter in place. But forcing them to leave a remote campground to one that is around a dense population will make things worse.

I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense to close them completely.

Dutch

I've been thinking about this every since I heard about New Mexico's closing of their State Park Campgrounds, trying to understand the logic of it.  Like many of you we are sitting in our RV in a long term campground waiting it out.  In our case we're already committed to stay put till Memorial Day (nothing to do with the virus) so it isn't impacting us personally.  It would sure matter to us personally if we were on the road!

Here are my guesses:

The decisions being made to close public campgrounds are being made by bureaucrats who envision "camping" as a big group of cub scouts in tents.  Not much "social distancing" in a group like that - and, of course, not the most common user of a paved RV campsite either.  

If not that, maybe they are thinking "shelter in place" as meaning stay right where you are - for most people, at home all snug in their stix and brix dwelling.  People heading out to the state park are buying fuel, going to the store, and, in general, mixing with others.  The thing is, most people are doing these basic things, camping or not.

It seems to me that the reasonable thing would be to lock the bathrooms and any other common areas and let people camp, maybe even allowing longer stays.

All the above is just me thinking - I really don't understand the reasoning.  

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense to close them completely.

No, If I thought that, I would not have started this thread with the link. I agree that they should lock the bathrooms and buildings. They can leave the CG open for RVers to stay and enjoy the surrounding area and or even be a little more secluded.

Edited by rynosback

Does anyone remember the vandalism and trash in the national parks when they were left open during a government shut down recently?  Much damage and expense occurred.

On paper this sounds like a great idea.  However..... even though most campers would be trustworthy there are always those few who would ruin it for others.

A few examples come to mind:

We volunteered in a state park in Arizona.  The dump station was left open all the time.  The park was at a convenient ending point of those who spent the weekend at other public areas that didn't have a dump station.  So it became a practice for them to stop and dump their tanks before they headed home.  The dump station had to be closed for days occasionally because the campers would put added stress on it to a point of overflowing.  Many campgrounds aren't on city sewer.  Also, sometimes they would try to stuff a grocery bag of garbage down it thereby clogging it.  Once it was clogged by a RV sewer hose that was sucked down it.  Another time it was vandalized by stuffing rocks down it.  One time even when locked the lock was broken.  This all happened even though there was a ranger living in the park at night.  As with many parks, it was understaffed so the ranger couldn't be everywhere and he had to have time to sleep.  Much of this happen after 10pm.  Finally, the dump station had to be locked and was opened only during certain hours for campground guests only, and a host was stationed there during those hours.

Regarding this proposal, if the dump station was locked or if there even wasn't a dump station in the park, can you picture what the campers would do?

Many campsites in national, national forest or even state parks don't have electric and if they do it would be a big expense when there's no income coming in.  Parks are strapped for money as it is.

Trees and bushes would be cut for firewood.  Yes, campers do this even during good times.

Finally, there wouldn't be any security if a fight broke out, excessive drinking and partying, etc.

Definitely bathrooms would have to be locked. Even during regular hours, people vandalize bathrooms like you wouldn't believe.

I don't know what the solution is for full-timers but this just doesn't sound wise or safe.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

This is another example of the root of many problems for fulltimers who have no real estate home. They are closing parks to try and get people to stay at home and not travel but fulltimers are so small a part of the total population that they seldom are even considered. The concern is that families will take school closures as an opportunity to travel with the kids, much like the college kids are doing on the FL beaches now. Nobody seems to consider that some people live and travel in an RV all of the time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have seen several private campgrounds double their rates in the last week.  Their reason is because the demand for campsites is huge and the supply is limited due to the many public campground closures.  

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

Please post the name of the price gougers so we know who to avoid in the future.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

There is no reason not to have normal security in the campgrounds. This not a government layoff and rangers can still drive around without 'close social contact'. And in case of need they can summon local law enforcement which have to have close contact as part of their job. Padlock the restrooms, most of us are fully self contained, leave the dump stations in unattended operation.

Edited by agesilaus

8 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Please post the name of the price gougers so we know who to avoid in the future.

And their location as there are some cases of parks that share a name. Even Rainbow's End is not unique to Escapees in Livingston, TX. There is also one in Sequim, WA.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am in FL in a private park just down the road from the Escapees Co-Op in Wachaula that was full so I couldn’t get in. Was just notified that all activities in the park are being canceled. Bingo, poker, shuffleboard etc and the pool is closed as well as all buildings, clubhouse, bathrooms, laundry etc. The office is open but locked and all activity with the office must be done by telephone including payment for rent and electric. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

10 hours ago, StraitRVing said:

I have seen several private campgrounds double their rates in the last week.  Their reason is because the demand for campsites is huge and the supply is limited due to the many public campground closures.  

Make a call to the state Attorney General office, and the local newspaper when you encounter this practice.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I am in FL in a private park just down the road from the Escapees Co-Op in Wachaula that was full so I couldn’t get in. Was just notified that all activities in the park are being canceled. Bingo, poker, shuffleboard etc and the pool is closed as well as all buildings, clubhouse, bathrooms, laundry etc. The office is open but locked and all activity with the office must be done by telephone including payment for rent and electric. 

My cousin, whom we stay in the same RV  park with in Florida came home yesterday. Left Ft. Myers at 04:30 and arrived home at 20:30hrs. She said they drove straight through because there were no motels vacant, nor open restaurants, only self-serve gas stations and rest areas. They had packed  sack-lunches and a gallon of water before departing.

That had to be a rough drive for 73 yr olds, even in a Caddy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Campgrounds are closing in an attempt tp prevent the spread of previously unknown virus with as yet no vaccine.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

8 hours ago, richfaa said:

Campgrounds are closing in an attempt tp prevent the spread of previously unknown virus with as yet no vaccine.

I get that, but when you close and tell everyone that they have to leave, you are causing movement of people. At that defeats The Whole goal of shelter in place. You leave them open and close up all of the buildings. I say this as I’m a full time RVer and campgrounds are my home. Weekend warriors should not travel and stay in there stick and bricks home.

Edited by rynosback

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

I get that, but when you close and tell everyone that they have to leave, you are causing movement of people. At that defeats The Whole goal of shelter in place. You leave them open and close up all of the buildings. I say this as I’m a full time RVer and campgrounds are my home. Weekend warriors should not travel and stay in there stick and bricks home.

I just said this very thing to my wife last night as we took a much needed walk thru the campground of a state park that is near our house, as much as I am ready to start our season I figure it is best to wait and see where things head and leave sites for the full timers that need them the most

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch