Grand design

KevinS

Let us know how it works out.  I've been looking real hard at GD but have no personal experience with them.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I have a 2019 GD Solitude 310GK and could not be more pleased with the workmanship and the company support.  I went from San Diego to Alaska and back last year, and it held up really well.  I wouldn't say nothing broke, but I will say nothing major happened, which is more than I can say for some of the folks I travelled with.  At one point the lift for the TV stopped working, and even though it was out of warranty, the company sent me the new parts for free, and I didn't even request that.  I called to get the name of their supplier so I could purchase the thing on my own and they just sent it!

When I was installing a cell phone booster I called the company and told them where I wanted to drill a hole to bring the cable inside and they pulled up the schematic for my particular rig to be sure there were no wires or framing in the area.  They also let me know that the wire I wanted to use to power the unit was big enough to support the extra draw without difficulty.  They did that before I drilled into the area that had the wire I wanted to use.  That's just my experience, but I think it says a great deal about Grand Design.

Thanks  we are in it now.. we think we are going to like it..while leaving the dealer, my integratred brake controller flashed warning... the manual override wouldn’t stop us only going about 5 mph....their tech.. thought grand design and Montana brakes won’t really work until about 30 mph... anyone hear this..?

16 hours ago, KevinS said:

Thanks  we are in it now.. we think we are going to like it..while leaving the dealer, my integratred brake controller flashed warning... the manual override wouldn’t stop us only going about 5 mph....their tech.. thought grand design and Montana brakes won’t really work until about 30 mph... anyone hear this..?

NOT TRUE!!! Brake application is totally dependent on the brake controller in the tow vehicle. The trailer brakes only follow commands. Electric drum brakes (like on your stock Reflection) have no intelligent circuitry. They only apply force proportional to the power sent by the brake controller.

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. We spent 4 yrs, 9 mos full-time in a Reflection 337RLS (significantly modified). We just sold it and moved in to our new Solitude 310GK-R. Very pleased with both units and Grand Design's customer service. The Reflection 337 is one of their best floor plans. You'll enjoy it.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

3 minutes ago, KevinS said:

Thanks.. we only travelled about 30 miles from where we purchased the camper.. we will just head back there tomorrow to have them fix it.. what are some of the mods. You did on your 337? 

Forum hint: If you use the "Quote" function to reply to something, people will know to whom you are responding and they will also get a notice. 

On our Reflection, we had MORryde install their independent suspension system with disc brakes. We also installed a cushioned/dampened pinbox (Demco Glide Ride) and Sailun load range G tires. There were other smaller (and less expensive) mods - mostly in the convenience category.

Rob 

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

13 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

Forum hint: If you use the "Quote" function to reply to something, people will know to whom you are responding and they will also get a notice. 

On our Reflection, we had MORryde install their independent suspension system with disc brakes. We also installed a cushioned/dampened pinbox (Demco Glide Ride) and Sailun load range G tires. There were other smaller (and less expensive) mods - mostly in the convenience category.

Rob 

Thanks for the hint .. just crawled under camper seen outside of drum  oily black  looking, so probably a seal is leaking.. 

8 minutes ago, KevinS said:

Thanks for the hint .. just crawled under camper seen outside of drum  oily black  looking, so probably a seal is leaking.. 

That would be a good place to start - especially if your 2017 unit (built in 2016, probably) has the Lippert axles and hubs. They developed a reputation for seal failures and greased brakes. Haven't heard of that happening so much with the new Dexter axles and hubs.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

18 hours ago, KevinS said:

If the brake controller is flashing, it's detecting a wiring fault between it and the trailer brakes.  Either a short or a high resistance connection in the brake circuit that's preventing the power from getting to the trailer brakes.

Electric brakes do depend on the brake drum rotating as the electromagnets grab hold onto the face of the drum and use the rotation to provide the force to apply the brakes.  But the tech was whistling through his hat as the necessary rotation is only a fraction of a turn, not 30 MPH.

Edited by Lou Schneider

4 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

If the brake controller is flashing, it's detecting a wiring fault between it and the trailer brakes.  Either a short or a high resistance connection in the brake circuit that's preventing the power from getting to the trailer brakes.

Electric brakes do depend on the brake drum rotating as the electromagnets grab hold onto the face of the drum and use the rotation to provide the force to apply the brakes.  But the tech was whistling through his hat as the necessary rotation is only a fraction of a turn, not 30 MPH.

I  thought he was , but we r full timers and  moving all our stuff over from old camper to this one , we were tired.. I just want to get out of there. We will be going back there tomorrow to have them look at trailer brakes..  thanks 

You can jack up a wheel and start spinning the brake and if the brake is working, you will hear the click and the wheel will stop.  If it keeps moving, ....brake is not working.

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

You can take a compass and pass it in front of the wheel with the brakes applied to see if the wheel magnets are working.  If they are, the needle will strongly deflect as it passes by.

Another test I like to make every once in a while is to turn on my parking lights or headlights while looking at the trailer's forward clearance light in the side mirror.  Even during the day I can see if it illuminates or not.  If it doesn't, it says the electrical connection has come loose and there won't be any trailer brakes either.

Edited by Lou Schneider