Insuring a storage unit?

GreyDawg

Some of us with No Fixed Abode do maintain storage units somewhere -- with seasonal clothing and sports equipment, with family heirlooms and other irreplacable items, and so on.  I have a climate controlled storage unit with heirlooms, financial records, photos, beloved art and furniture pieces.  The monthly storage cost is well worth it to me, even with a 10 year horizon.

How do you insure the contents of your storage unit?  My excellent storage facility with24hr cameras,  gates and keypad locked building doors, requires insurance, but their "house" insurance only covers up to $5,000 which isn't nearly enough to cover my contents.

Standard renters insurance policies are for rental homes/apartments (though one could argue that a secured unit to which only I have the key is a better place than an apartment that could be broken into or for which I might have personal injury liability...)

Thanks!

Edited by GreyDawg

That's good to know.   I will put it on tomorrow's call list!

I'm the daughter of a WW2 vet, but Dad was in His Majesty's Royal Air Force.   My mother's father was an Oklahoma doughboy in WW1.  Of course, they're both long gone ...

EDITED TO ADD ....  just looked at the website -- still limited to military affiliation.  😞

Edited by GreyDawg

What each insurance company can/will cover is, at least partially, regulated by each state's insurance regulatory commission. Check with a couple of insurance providers who write policies for the state in which you are domiciled. As stated above, our USAA renter's policy covers the stuff in our climate controlled storage unit (didn't even have to add coverage - it was part of the package). We are domiciled in Texas and the storage unit is in South Carolina... no problems. There may be a company out there who does the same for your state.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

While I have no experience with insuring a storage unit contents in recent years, our son does have a storage unit with contents insured above the usual $5000 limit. I asked who his coverage is with and it is with Snap N Sure which was suggested by the operator of the storage unit his things are stored in. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

USAA is not a typical insurance company. They started out as a group of military officers co-insuring one another's vehicles. They have branched out way beyond that now but being focused on military personnel they are used to their customers owning stuff stored in various locations and to them not having a house of their own. Thus they do things a more standard insurance company may never have considered doing. And they now cover a lot more than just officers. It is worth your while to see if they will insure you through some relative or another even though they last time I checked  they don't, themselves, offer fulltimer's insurance. We have been very satisfied customers for about 50 years and our daughter, who never served in any form, has been with them many years as well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Cube Smart required the same thing.  Our insurance agent said that as far as he new, they could not require you to purchase insurance on the contents.  We did check with our full time insurance and they would cover a certain amount of personal possessions that were not located in the RV.  

the items stored do not have a lot of value other then personal memories, so why place a $$$ value on the stuff.

It is just a money making ploy from the storage units.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna chime in on USAA!

They are actually THE WORST insurance company! I had them for years with ~5 claims which they butchered! EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Last straw is I was cut off, car ran red light and I T-boned them. no injuries. I flagged down a cop and we cleared the scene. I had to pull back some metal to get my car out of traffic so was away from cops for 10 minutes. When I arrived the person who cut me off blamed it on me and the cop gave me a ticket for running the red light! Refused to listen to my side of it!

USAA INSTANTLY sided with the lie and made me pay my $1000 deductible. I went to court and prevailed and when I contacted USAA they said it's possible to reverse the false ruling but it's too much trouble and they refused to do it! The other driver even faked back issues and they refused to fix it costing us all!

I was a 30 year member at the time! Claims ALWAYS took 2-3 weeks. Friends with other companies laughed at me when the got a fender bender and an agent showed up, took pictures and cut a check! All said and done same day as accident!

They have some sort of propaganda machine running that makes them look good but talk to others about actual service when you need them and you'll get a different story!

26 minutes ago, aztex said:

They are actually THE WORST insurance company! I had them for years with ~5 claims which they butchered! EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Last straw is I was cut off, car ran red light and I T-boned them. no injuries. I flagged down a cop and we cleared the scene. I had to pull back some metal to get my car out of traffic so was away from cops for 10 minutes. When I arrived the person who cut me off blamed it on me and the cop gave me a ticket for running the red light! Refused to listen to my side of it!

USAA INSTANTLY sided with the lie and made me pay my $1000 deductible. I went to court and prevailed and when I contacted USAA they said it's possible to reverse the false ruling but it's too much trouble and they refused to do it! The other driver even faked back issues and they refused to fix it costing us all!

I was a 30 year member at the time! Claims ALWAYS took 2-3 weeks. Friends with other companies laughed at me when the got a fender bender and an agent showed up, took pictures and cut a check! All said and done same day as accident!

They have some sort of propaganda machine running that makes them look good but talk to others about actual service when you need them and you'll get a different story!

What you relate is completely counter to the 35 years' experience I have with them. During that time, we had several claims (both ours and the other person's faults) and. in 2008, my wife was killed in a traffic accident in which she was at fault. We could not have been treated better by USAA - in every way. My (new) wife and I have had several smaller claims without any issues whatsoever. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

49 minutes ago, aztex said:

I’m sorry you’re experiences were not positive, but like Second Chance mine have always been stellar over 30+ years.  I have had multiple claims in that time for various issues and have always had nothing but positive interactions and a check in hand within days.  I can’t recommend USAA more highly (if you qualify).  I also have several family members and friends in the insurance business working for various carriers.  Periodically I check with them out of curiosity to see how what I pay compares to what they can provide.  USAA has always been as good or better coverage for equal or less cost every time I check.  As they say on the commercials, I’ll be a “member for life.”

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 years later...

I don't know that you'll necessarily need insurance for a storage unit - maybe different if you're talking about an RV or something of high value, but most of them offer some basic form of insurance from my understanding and experience. For example here https://threemovers.com/how-to-choose-a-storage-unit/ it mentions that insurance is included on a basic level and you can pay more if you feel you need a higher level of coverage. If you feel you need it go for it obviouisly, but it's probably not necessary beyond what's offered by the storage facility in 99% of cases. 

1 minute ago, Wanderbust said:

I don't know that you'll necessarily need insurance for a storage unit - maybe different if you're talking about an RV or something of high value, but most of them offer some basic form of insurance from my understanding and experience. For example here https://threemovers.com/how-to-choose-a-storage-unit/ it mentions that insurance is included on a basic level and you can pay more if you feel you need a higher level of coverage. If you feel you need it go for it obviouisly, but it's probably not necessary beyond what's offered by the storage facility in 99% of cases. 

Most self-storage facilities require proof of insurance coverage these days. Our renter's policy explicitly states that anything in storage is covered. We have a VPP rider to cover some more valuable single items and just provide a copy of the coverage renewal to the storage facility each year.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

• 1 year later...