Death of Directv

Now that ATT has announced essentially the death of Direct TV(wonder why they ever bought it?) we are planing to switch over to Dish. This had been in the back of our minds for a while now with the downhill customer service trend of Direct TV.

We have a Winegard Traveler on our roof and another sat antenna that we use at our winter location. Figure we will switch over next winter. Have Dish do the winter location and get the conversion kit from Winegard for the Traveler. My question is what all is entailed to switch the Traveler to Dish. I couldn't find any directions online. Has anyone done this? Is it a DIY?

Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

Now that ATT has announced essentially the death of Direct TV(wonder why they ever bought it?) we are planing to switch over to Dish. This had been in the back of our minds for a while now with the downhill customer service trend of Direct TV.

We have a Winegard Traveler on our roof and another sat antenna that we use at our winter location. Figure we will switch over next winter. Have Dish do the winter location and get the conversion kit from Winegard for the Traveler. My question is what all is entailed to switch the Traveler to Dish. I couldn't find any directions online. Has anyone done this? Is it a DIY?

Thanks

Try this link for Trav'ler conversion info:

https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/directv-to-dish-travler-conversions/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

27 minutes ago, chuckbear said:

Want to share the announcement? Chuck

"DirecTV's days are numbered"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/03/07/att-directv-now-only-rural-areas/4974530002/

Dutch

We have not noticed any difference in Directtv . We are planning to switch to Spectrum as directv is becoming far to expensive.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

We have not noticed any difference in Directtv . We are planning to switch to Spectrum as directv is becoming far to expensive.

You need to jump through hoops to change your service address(and then you aren't successful), they no longer give the $35 a month discount, prices have been getting higher and higher.

We just call and ask them to change our service address so we can get the local channels and it will change while we are still on the line with them. They have increased their prices as to  where it is no longer affordable to us in terms of what you get for the price we pay.

We have had them for years and the service has always been excellent but they are pricing themselves out of the market.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Within the next 18 months to two years we will all be streaming TV from Elon Musk’s satellites. I recently returned a box full of cable TV boxes and I’m now steaming all video content. Comcast Cable internet at home and AT&T and TMobile hotspots on the road.could not be happier. Hated paying that huge cable bill every month.

wrote an article on my web page shout streaming video on the road

www.rvbprecision.com

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

Cable is useless for an RVer, we are talking satellite. This is an RV website.

Why do you say that. We are in One place f or 6 months spectrum works fine for us and yes it is cable .BTW some  folks live in RV and never move.

3 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

Within the next 18 months to two years we will all be streaming TV from Elon Musk’s satellites

As someone who normally jumps at the opportunity to employ new technology, I think it is extremely optimistic to expect that everything Musk says about Starlink will be achieved on schedule and the massive growth of his system will occur without a hitch.  And, of course, that service is provided at prices competitive with other terrestrial alternatives right from the start! I wish him well, but achieving such success would be virtually unparalleled in the annals of 20th and 21th century technology.  I have no doubt that Starlink will eventually provide world-wide internet access but IMHO the "when" and at "what cost" are very much indeterminant at present.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

22 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

This article makes very little sense since sometimes he is talking about satellite and sometimes he is talking about DirecTV Now (read the title) which is their streaming service. So I certainly would not make any declarations based on this article. Streaming still only has limited use for those of us that spend a lot of time in places where data access is limited. Cable does not work for those of us that actually travel around the country. Satellite is our best option. We recently switched from DirecTV to Dish because of cost and customer service. Chuck

Edited by chuckbear

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Increasing DirecTV prices caused me to drop them several months ago and switch to 100% streaming.  For less than I was paying DirecTV I can have YouTube TV and multiple, redundant hotspots.  I already had one hotspot to support my existing use of Netflix, Acorn, Amazon Prime TV, etc, so the cost of that first one can't be evaluated in the DirecTV vs streaming analysis.  

Satellite TV reception was always potentially interfered with by tree cover.  It's not uncommon to be unable to position the MH so that the rooftop Trav'ler can lock onto the appropriate satellites. Streaming has its own limitations but the 4G/LTE signal from the major carriers is constantly improving IMO. Furthermore by having multiple, redundant hotspots and a load balancing router I can "average" the performance of multiple connections to virtually assure that I have sufficient bandwidth to stream full-time.  It's not 100% perfect, but it works pretty well.  Furthermore, now I can have a TV out on the patio (or anywhere else I want it) without having to worry about receivers or having to pay DirecTV an additional monthly fee.

Streaming is clearly the direction in which transmission of video is headed.  Satellite TV is 20 year old technology that now will be relegated to a niche market.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Direct will still be around for awhile. Right now they have sales crews in  Walmart , Costco and were aggressively selling in the Big Tent at Q. As much as I respect DocJ's  knowledge I think he pushes streaming too much. It works for him but not every one is in the same boat. For instance: The many Canadian RV'rs who wish to stream cannot do that with Canadian cell carriers that are still in the dark ages. Many plans have as little as 8G of data while in the USA. AT&T will not sell to Canadians even if they have a USA address.Something to do with credit checks  I am not sure if you can stream Canadian Networks  while in the USA.May need a VPN. Many RV'rs are not full time. They may only travel off and on in the summer or maybe for a month here and there. An expensive data plan that is not used all the time will not work. But for full timers it is a good idea.

I agree streaming isn't for everyone and it depends where you travel. We tend to be in remote locations with no internet or OTA stations. My frustration with streaming (this is all my perceptions) is that streaming is very confusing. I like having a guide and selecting the programs I want to see and record them so that I can look at them when I don't satellite. Streaming seems to be a multitude of pieces that you need to put together yourself and each piece is a subscription with  cost. Maybe one day streaming will emulate satellite or cable with one overall coordinated service with a guide. I don't see that coming any time soon.

6 hours ago, chuckbear said:

This article makes very little sense since sometimes he is talking about satellite and sometimes he is talking about DirecTV Now (read the title) which is their streaming service. So I certainly would not make any declarations based on this article. Streaming still only has limited use for those of us that spend a lot of time in places where data access is limited. Cable does not work for those of us that actually travel around the country. Satellite is our best option. We recently switched from DirecTV to Dish because of cost and customer service. Chuck

Read it again... "DirecTV Now" ceased to exist as of August of last year when it was renamed "AT&T TV Now" which is not mentioned at all in the article. The article name in the link would read more accurately as  "att-directv-IS-now-only-rural-areas". Streaming versus satellite is an entirely different subject.

Dutch

Regarding your original question converting the traveler over to Dish

I did one for a friend recently, just called Winegard sales and they walked me thru the steps in the control box to gather info they needed to be sure to order the right kit and it was comparable to work with Dish. 

The conversion was easy and took about 40 min. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 1 month later...