Corps of Engineers and Senior Pass

bja1234

I thought because they were Federal that they all would except them.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

It will work unless the COE leased it out to a concessionaire then it won't work.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

We've never had a problem at COE operated locations, and most of the concessionaire operated parks at least honored the pass for the base rate.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

From the US Army Corps of Engineers website:

The Corps accepts the Interagency Senior Pass as proof of eligibility for age-related discounts. Card users will receive a 50% discount on fees at Corps-operated day use areas and campgrounds.

I do not know of any way to find out where you may run into vendor operated campground that do not accept that pass but like others here, we have never found that. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We've never had problem at COE operated locations, and most of the concessionaire operated parks at least honored the pass for the base rate.

Even for concessionaire campgrounds of the Corp and national forest campgrounds we've always gotten the discount.  It's up to the concessionaire but I would say most of the time you'll get the discount for the base rate; not the added hookups.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I use this website:  https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm

If the park you are looking at has the little COE castle icon it is Corps managed and you senior pass should work.  If not Corps managed it may be managed by the state our county and you probably will not get the discount.  In South Dakota there are several Corps campgrounds that are State Parks, thus, no discounts.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

1 hour ago, lenp said:

I use this website:  https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm

In South Dakota there are several Corps campgrounds that are State Parks, thus, no discounts.

Lenp

I'm not sure what you mean. I've not heard of a Corps campground that is a state park.  They're two different agencies.  I just used your link and clicked on S. Dakota and there are 6 Corps campgrounds to click on.  None are state parks.

Full-timed for 16 Years

35 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I've not heard of a Corps campground that is a state park.  They're two different agencies.  I just used your link and clicked on S. Dakota and there are 6 Corps campgrounds to click on.  None are state parks.

Lots of damns on the West Coast have campgrounds that were built by the Corps but have since been turned over to the state.  For Example, Maryhill State Park on the Columbia was built by the Corps, but now is a Washington State Park.   In fact, there are very few Corps campgrounds on the West Coast compared to the midwest.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

7 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I've not heard of a Corps campground that is a state park. 

In the Dallas area there are several USACE lakes that have turned one or more campgrounds/parks over to nearby cities to operate and in most cases expand as city parks. 

Yes, we stayed at the Vineyards in Grapevine, TX when visiting daughter when it was a Corp park.  Now it makes sense when I think more about it.

Full-timed for 16 Years

We ran into one last fall, Chief Timothy Park campground outside of Clarkston OR. $38 a night no senior pass.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

The last few Federal parks we have stayed in are now 1/2 off on the basic camping fee and full price for the "Utility" fee.  Broke camping into two fees.

NFS north of Houston is $ 19 for the Senior Pass and $29 without.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2Gypsies....pay close attention to the Corps icon towards the right of the facility listings.  If there is not a corps icon there, the corps does not operate those sites.  Have a look at Lake Oahe (https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=G612960).  Over fifty recreation areas on the lake and only SEVEN are managed by the corps.  Granted, many are not campgrounds but there are seven that ARE campgrounds and managed by someone other than the corps.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

.... and then above D&J posted about  Chief Timothy Park.  It is listed under Washington State Parks but if you read the description it states "managed FOR Army Corp of Engineers by Northwest Land Management".

That's three different agencies involved.  Very interesting.

https://parks.state.wa.us/704/Chief-Timothy-Park

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

After you've been to a few Corps parks, you can spot the ones that they built and then turned over to state/local agencies.  Generally if there is a big damn nearby, the Corps probably did the initial construction.   They are some places in Western Washington where the dams were built by Puget Power (that's what it was called when I was growing up) and the campgrounds aren't the same as what the Corps built. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

After you've been to a few Corps parks, you can spot the ones that they built and then turned over to state/local agencies.  Generally if there is a big damn nearby, the Corps probably did the initial construction.   They are some places in Western Washington where the dams were built by Puget Power (that's what it was called when I was growing up) and the campgrounds aren't the same as what the Corps built. 

Yes, there is a difference in Minnesota between the ones the Corps built and the ones the power company built. The Corps campgrounds are very popular in this land of 10,000 lakes--especially on weekends.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Arkansas is one state that will honor the senior pass at its State Parks. The discount is only given after the 1st night  but I don't mind. We stay each June for a week at Withrow Springs for my Wife's family reunion.

We also stay at several CoE parks here in East Texas and FtWorth and senior pass allways honored.

9 hours ago, Poohbear said:

Arkansas is one state that will honor the senior pass at its State Parks.

That isn't exactly true. AR, like several other states does give a discount to all US citizens who are 62 or older and the America the Beautiful, senior pass is one of the forms of ID which they accept. 

What discounts are offered in the state parks?

U.S. Citizens 62 and over and U.S. Citizens with 100% permanent and total disability will be admitted to state park campgrounds at the discounted rates established in PD 2000.  Proper identification or documentation is required to obtain a discount.   

NOTE PILOT STUDY:  Arkansas State Parks now accepts the America the Beautiful-Access Pass and Golden Access Passport as proof of disability or age, respectively. 

SENIOR CITIZENS - A government issued photo ID is required for identification purposes for U.S.Citizens 62 and over: Government issued IDs accepted as proof of age include 

1. Driver’s License
  2. Government-Issued Photo ID
  3. U.S. Passport
  4. Military Dependent or Retiree ID 
  5. United States Permanent Resident Card
  6. America the Beautiful-Senior Pass

Edited by Kirk W