TX Domicile, Business and Banking

aztex

Hi,

Edging back towards full time. Tried it last year but got bit on a couple things most painful being banking. I have a UPS mailbox and was unaware I can not use this for a banking address. At the last minute I discovered my business banking did not transfer over and  had to impose on a friend to allow me to use her address. If I proceed this time I have 3 months to decide.

I have more questions but curious how others are dealing with banking and running a business and if Texas is friendly towards that?

I'm Bank Of America and like the way they support my business. 

Also what's the transition? Can you still have a brick and mortar address in one state AND domicile another? I want to make the change as seamless as possible.

Thanks!

The answer is, absolutely yes. Many people own more than one home and spend time in all of them. Others do not own any real estate of any kind, yet both of a domicile, and only one domicile. Perhaps this article by attorney Susie Adams will help.  Domicile for Full-Time RVers

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The answer is, absolutely yes. Many people own more than one home and spend time in all of them. Others do not own any real estate of any kind, yet both of a domicile, and only one domicile. Perhaps this article by attorney Susie Adams will help.  Domicile for Full-Time RVers

Thanks!

I always see TX, ND and FLA "promoted" but is that only because Escapees has a "presence" there that streamlines the process?

I'd just as soon stay in AZ but want to take advantage of an "address" I can receive mail and do my business out of. Being 2020 I do ALL my business online so simply a formality to satisfy my bank.

I get confused on the Escapees offer, makes me think it is only TX, ND and FLA that offer this or is it that they offer the best options?

If I wanted to retain Pima Co. AZ as my domicile location and have a legal "address" for mail and mail forwarding is there a service I can use that would set me up to assure my banking is not effected? Or do not all states allow such domiciles?

Thanks!

TX, SD and FL are the three main states for full timers because all three states allow a PMB to be used as a legal address.  Most other states do not allow this.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Are you currently an AZ resident?  If so, why change if you like it?   You can use any of the mailing services anywhere without changing your domicile.  The three states most often cited for full timers all have a few things in common, no state income tax, state/local governments that encourage full timers to use them as a domicile and mail forwarding companies geared towards those who are on the move.   In addition to RVers, a lot of the mail forwarders in Florida provide services for those who live on boats and sail a good portion of the time (as do some companies in Washington state).   

You could also use the UPS Mailbox stores (like those found in Arizona) to collect your mail and forward it on to you.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

47 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Are you currently an AZ resident?  If so, why change if you like it?   You can use any of the mailing services anywhere without changing your domicile.  The three states most often cited for full timers all have a few things in common, no state income tax, state/local governments that encourage full timers to use them as a domicile and mail forwarding companies geared towards those who are on the move.   In addition to RVers, a lot of the mail forwarders in Florida provide services for those who live on boats and sail a good portion of the time (as do some companies in Washington state).   

You could also use the UPS Mailbox stores (like those found in Arizona) to collect your mail and forward it on to you.  

Thanks,

Yes current AZ resident and my business is based here.

I do like AZ and would spend most time here.

I have a UPS box BUT I can not use that for banking. I can't seem to find a service that provides addresses for banking...

Thanks again!

We use the Escapees mail service in Livingston, TX and never had an issue with the address for banking or brokerage purposes.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

56 minutes ago, aztex said:

Thanks,

Yes current AZ resident and my business is based here.

I do like AZ and would spend most time here.

I have a UPS box BUT I can not use that for banking. I can't seem to find a service that provides addresses for banking...

Thanks again!

You can't use that as a mailing address?  Not as your business address, but as the address where mail is sent?  Because I know that a lot of businesses use mailing addresses like PO Boxes for their mail.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

22 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

You can't use that as a mailing address?  Not as your business address, but as the address where mail is sent?  Because I know that a lot of businesses use mailing addresses like PO Boxes for their mail.   

Well as mailing address for most things yes...but.. I need an address for my business.

I can't seem to find any PMB's in AZ that would act like the ones Escapees set up in TX, ND or FLA....It may very well be those states only...

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Where are you currently living?  Is there a reason you can not use that, then sometime in the future do a change of address?

Lease in AZ will be up soon. May go full time or just travel for summer time. Makes no sense to retain current rental or even assume another....Most likely be "houseless" for the summer, maybe longer....

Thanks!

SD and FL were popular fulltimer domiciles long before Escapees started offering mail service there. No income tax, many mail forwarding services, and no required number of days presence per year being main reasons. SD and TX lost many people when they stopped offering nationwide pre-medicare eligible health insurance making FL the domicile of choice for the younger set.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Using a mail service address for banking is not state controlled, it is a "Know your Customer Regulation" that all banks must follow. You will need to use a real physical address, you can also have a mailing address that is different from physical. Typically next of kin is used for the physical address by full timers.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

50 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

Using a mail service address for banking is not state controlled, it is a "Know your Customer Regulation" that all banks must follow. You will need to use a real physical address, you can also have a mailing address that is different from physical. Typically next of kin is used for the physical address by full timers.

Not necessarily.  All of my financial institutions accept my SKP's address in Texas.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

Not necessarily.  All of my financial institutions accept my SKP's address in Texas.

Do you have domicile in TX or just using the PMB service? 

Seems like I could just start with the PMB. My bank seemed to have little concern about domicile; they just need an address.

I could plan a little wiser about the domicile...maybe even chose another state eventually. I like the FLA health insurance deal but that's that much farther if I have to be present any length of time...Although I do have family in S. Alabama and Gulf Shores even...

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

When did you establish those relationships? Since the new regulations came out? What used to work does not necessarily do so now.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

11 minutes ago, sandsys said:

When did you establish those relationships? Since the new regulations came out? What used to work does not necessarily do so now.

Linda

And there are many who are getting surprised by notices from their financial institutions along the lines... during a review of records we notice that we do not a physical address on file for you, please provide one or your accounts will be closed.

Be prepared.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

30 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

What a nightmare!

So is everyone who's full timing using a family members address? What's the point of domicile and the entire Livingston SKP's arrangement?!

There has to be a way to legally bank and not have to own/rent property or rely on relatives for addresses...

Banking regulations are separate from the ability to establish a domicile, register vehicles, vote, etc.  

Yes, the KYC (Know Your Customer) regulations can be hard for the minority that falls through the cracks.  Most institutions take the easy way out, rather than saying, yes we know these people, they have been banking with us for 15 years.    Or 30 years.   Given that we know that this has become a problem, maybe it is time to line up a relative who you can use as "next of kin".    And don't go making moves with new accounts that will raise flags.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

While I do not know anyone involved in the story posted on IRV2, I would caution people to use caution when taking action based upon any posts in a public forum. It isn't that I think many people actually post false stories but keep in mind that "perception is reality" in the mind of the person making the post. It is also important to remember that the financial institutions are required to report all transactions in amounts of $10,000 or more to the IRS. That means that someone will take notice. 

While the problem of address issues has been around since the Patriot Act was put into law, there are alternatives and financial workers who do business with a lot of RV folks usually know about them, while those who have not dealt with the problem likely will not. 

They locked my accounts without warning. Say thanks to the Patriot Act.

This is the very first time that I have heard anyone state that it was done without any warning. I am not sure what would happen if previous warnings were ignored, or possibly not received. I'd need a lot more information from both parties before I repeated this one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Banking regulations are separate from the ability to establish a domicile, register vehicles, vote, etc.  

Yes, the KYC (Know Your Customer) regulations can be hard for the minority that falls through the cracks.  Most institutions take the easy way out, rather than saying, yes we know these people, they have been banking with us for 15 years.    Or 30 years.   Given that we know that this has become a problem, maybe it is time to line up a relative who you can use as "next of kin".    And don't go making moves with new accounts that will raise flags.  

I'd just be changing address... Same account for 5 and 10 years....

I guess that IRV2 thread was a horse of a different color involving transfer of funds. I'd love to use a family member but only two left and the one with wits about her is in CA and I don't really want to make CA my state of business

Edited by aztex

13 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda

Some before, some after.  I've been full-time and using SKP's address for ten years. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

The interesting thing is the one place that I've received any hassle at all was when renewing my Texas Drivers License about a month ago.  The lady at the office in Kerrville said that my address wasn't a valid physical address and couldn't be used on a DL.  She kept asking me where I "really" lived and I repeated about a dozen times that it was my legal, physical address.  She finally shrugged her shoulders and did the renewal. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels