What to do......

Vegas Teacher

Alright I am trying to figure out what to do. So I wrote a while back about my experience at TEC / Volvo. I don't trust them at all. For those of you who didn't read it I will give you the reader digest version. They were supposed to look my truck over stem to stern and help me figure out all project I needed to be done. I got a call 2 days later saying I needed anywhere from 15000 to 40000 in repairs due to Gear Damage. When I got there I was told the Mechanic heard this in the engine and had not even moved the truck a centimeter from the exact way I had it parked. 

So a couple of days ago I went over to my storage place, got into my truck and looked at any fault codes it was throwing. I posted those this week.

So now what do I do? I can't go back to Volvo!

If I go to another Mechanic what should I tell him or ask him to look for? I have a lot of air leaks on this rig. I know they need to be fixed. I know I need new brakes up front. I also have an oil leak.

Wouldn't the "Gear Failure" have some kind of code come up? I am not getting any transmission codes showing. I get a low air to transmission when I start the truck, but after the tanks fill up that fault goes away.

I appreciate the help and advice!

Got to get back to the kids!

Later,

Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher

Cory, have you driven the truck recently?

Check the air in the tires, check your brakes are functioning, and take it for a spin.  Check for new fault codes when you are done. 

Have the oil leak addressed, and then take on the next important issue.

Don't be afraid to look for the air leaks yourself, mark them with tape, post up what and where, so we can help.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Before you waste time fixing the air leaks, oil leaks, the elephant in the room needs to be addressed what gear is he talking about?  Have somebody prove it. If its a air compressor have it removed.  Have oil analyzed. If it comes back bad  get rid of truck. Pull oil pan drain plug drain about a gallon of oil in a clean pan run a magnet threw it (the oil) If there is a gear failure the magnet will pick it up( metal shavings). I would not fix any thing else until this situation is resolved .if it come out bad sell it for parts.  I know this is not what you wanted to here but until this is done you will never know

That ^^^^. If it is the air compressor gear drive, a failure while running is almost always fatal to the engine. At the very least, it'll badly dent your wallet. Get the engine serial number, and start doing some research. If it wasn't part of the serial number series affected, problem passed. If it's in the range affected, get ahold of Cummins directly. If it's been repaired at a Cummins shop, it'll be in their records. If it doesn't come up in their system, get a mobile guy to have a look for evidence of it being worked on. Get him to point out everything he's looking at to find evidence of work or none. If you can't find any evidence, it's time to start pricing the repairs. Talk to every Cummins shop in the valley, they can all work on it. Except, maybe TEC. You won't get any fault codes, until the big bang happens. Then you won't need a code to tell you that you've got problems. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.