TST tire monitor; Going from 510 to 507

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I called TST today and found out the 510 system is not supported any more. I wonder how many folks are still running the 510 ? I need to to something because I have several sensors that don't send back a signal. I have tried different positions and still no signal. I know what it means. Time for new batteries. When I called TST support the person on the support line was very friendly and helpful. I was told I could trade in my old system in and get 20% off for a new 507 system. This also includes a new monitor. I would also have to pay to have the old system sent back. I would have thought that TST would have a better deal to keep their past customers. The new cost for new system with 10 sensors would be $519. Might be time to find a new vendor.

Any thoughts or input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Alan,

I have had the TST for 10 years.  I went over to the 507 system and I’ll stay with them.  If you dump your system and start over you’re going to pay about the same price.  You might try taking one of the sensors and see if you could get the cap loose with a Dremmel tool or something and replace the battery.  Could probably get another 5-7 years with a new battery.  Heck, what have you got to loose?  On edit, I have the Gen 1 black &white 507 and I did have a problem where the signal of one or more sensors would drop out in a campground.  This was due to cross signals from other TSTs in the area.  No problem on the road.  TST said it was software problem that had been fixed in colored monitor.  They suggested I change monitors but didn’t offer me an exchange deal.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

16 hours ago, dblr said:

I have dealt with the folks from Techno RV as they are a vendor for TST not sure if they could offer a better deal or not.

https://www.technorv.com/

Techno RV is where I got my TST. I have been happy with these folks and you never know when they will be running a sale.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

15 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Alan,

I have had the TST for 10 years.  I went over to the 507 system and I’ll stay with them.  If you dump your system and start over you’re going to pay about the same price.  You might try taking one of the sensors and see if you could get the cap loose with a Dremmel tool or something and replace the battery.  Could probably get another 5-7 years with a new battery.  Heck, what have you got to loose?  On edit, I have the Gen 1 black &white 507 and I did have a problem where the signal of one or more sensors would drop out in a campground.  This was due to cross signals from other TSTs in the area.  No problem on the road.  TST said it was software problem that had been fixed in colored monitor.  They suggested I change monitors but didn’t offer me an exchange deal.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the idea. I bought my 510 system back in 2015. At one time I needed to have a couple sensors replaced under warranty because they lost a signal. The total life of my system is just going on 5 years. If you need to replace the 510 system with an other system shows me my original system was of poor quality. That's probably the reason there is no 510 systems for sale anymore. Very disappointing. 

I wonder where you would make the cut to get the cap off of a 510 sensor ? With my luck I would cut in the wrong place a ruin the whole sensor. Anyone ever cut open a 510 sensor ? Could be a video out there. I'll try to check.

Please keep the input coming,
Al

Not sure what I have. I think they are the 507. I got the flow thru sensors. Have the non flow thru on the Jeep. I don’t like the flow thru. Take too long to air up. I have to remove the sensors to air up. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

5 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Techno RV is where I got my TST. I have been happy with these folks and you never know when they will be running a sale.

Yes they are great folks to deal with, I see them a couple of times a year, usually at the FROG Rally and they also have a booth at the Hershey show

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Hi Everyone,

A little update you guys might get a kick out of. I found some prices on line of other tire pressure systems.

Prices are from Amazon;
* EEZ Tire - TPMS 10 B ( 10 sensors + booster, 3 year warranty )        $ 514
* TST 507 ( 10 sensors + color display, 3 year warranty )                      $ 589
* Tire Minder ( 10 sensors + B&L display )                                               $ 545

Prices from TST Truck System
* TST 507 ( 10 sensors + B&L display )                                                    $ 648
* TST 507                                        20% trade-in price                               $ 519

Sort of shows that the trade-in for 20% off is not much of a deal. Not much incentive to buy from TST or even buy a TST system. I just wanted to post some prices and get some thoughts. Good or bad opinions is ok with me.

Al

Al,

Opinion only.  I stuck with TST because of the temperature sensor also.  When I lost my brake caliper it alerted me instantly to both increase in temp and pressure.  That’s what I want is reliability.  Some of the cheaper systems don’t have the same track record.

As far as trying to cut into a 510 sensor, I would try right around cap where the indention is located.  Just be sure to use a thin wheel and go slow and not to deep.  Might be a PITA but if you can get it done and replace the batteries, then just glue the cap back together.  I’ll bet the indention was where the two pieces were joined by the factory.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"