Class A vs Truck and trailer

Lisa Kohn

Hey,

I thought I had my RV picked out, just to recently find out that they don't make them any longer and I can't find it used.  So now I have to figure out my 2nd choice, and I need some guidance.  It's just me and I have a Honda Goldwing Trike, so I need a toy hauler. What would be easier to get used to a Class A or a truck and trailer.  I don't want a fifth wheel because I'm not comfortable driving that large of a truck.  Thanks.

There have been class C motor homes configured as toy haulers, but not many.  I would think living space would be pretty compromised. Also, you'd have petro fumes in the living space. 

But as Linda asked, what's the difference between a MH and a truck?  Or do you not want to pull a trailer?  A class c with a small trailer for the GW might be a good option.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

13 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

A class c with a small trailer for the GW might be a good option.

How much does your Gold Wing weigh? While I like Rick's suggestion, there is a limit to what most Class Cs can pull. A small car, yes. A trailer with a GW, maybe.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

A class A, either Toy hauler or with a small trailer for your bike will leave you with just the bike as daily driver. A truck and toy hauler TT or 5ver will give you the choice of the truck or bike as a daily driver.  A Class A is basically a big truck/bus and that why we wonder why not a truck?

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

How much does your Gold Wing weigh? While I like Rick's suggestion, there is a limit to what most Class Cs can pull. A small car, yes. A trailer with a GW, maybe.

Linda Sand

As aside; I know a man who towed his 1T dually behind his old 1987 CL C on a Chevy chassis. It worked great_until it didn't.:rolleyes:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

While I'm not a toy-hauler owner, I have been a follower of the RV world for a long time and toy- haulers do seem to be here to stay and a growing segment of the market. By far the majority of toy-haulers that I have seen in use have been fifth wheel versions but there are travel trailers and also motorhomes as well. In motorhomes I am only aware of two companies that are presently building a toy-hauler and that is the Newmar Canyon Star and  the Thor Outlaw series. In class A coaches, I don't know of any diesel pushers that are new or recent, but there have been a few. 

Your concern about driving a large truck is something that I believe you need to deal with first as the required truck to tow a fifth wheel and that needed to tow a travel trailer are both determined by the length and weight of the trailers that you plan to tow. It requires just as much truck to tow a travel trailer as a fifth wheel if they are the same size and total weight. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I just did a quick Google and this one is sold but you may want to check around for others.  Newmar Diesel All Star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKHhCFuZwKE

I checked into buying an Alstar, I really liked the layout, the downside is what DW vetoed, lack of basement storage, due to mid-engine design. The reason Newmar stopped building them was, Spartan stopped building that chassis due to engine overheating, which could not be rectified, according to information in this thread. The Alstar was only built in 2007 and 2008. I think an ambitious person could design a blower underneath to alleviate overheating.

Some found the front bedroom design unhandy, however I liked it.

Newmar Alstar sales brochure.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Budk said:

Why not a class A with a motorcycle lift on the rear?

There could be many reasons. The first that I think of is that I don't recall ever seeing a lift that would handle a trike. Another major one could be the weight limit of the rear axle or the GVWR.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, Budk said:

Why not a class A with a motorcycle lift on the rear?

A Goodwing trike is heavy. About 800 lbs just for the bike, make it a trike and the weight of the rack it is on is heavy I would guess. 

You would need a tag axle and she is nervous about driving a dually.