How Water?

My hot water heater is not staying on! It starts, has fire and clicking noise but will go out after a few seconds. Then will start again and turn off again. I have checked all connections. Suggestions?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Assuming you have enough propane , it sounds like it's time for a thorough cleaning .

I'd pull the gas tube out of the fire tube and run something through the fire tube to make sure it is clear .

While the gas tube is off the valve , use a fine piece of wire to insure the orifice in the valve is clear . The brass orifice is right in front , where the gas tube slips on the valve . 

Before remounting the the gas tube , clean the igniter and the spot it arcs to . Both should be shiny clean and space the igniter 'rod' tip about 1/8" from the 'plate' . Also inspect the porcelain insulation around the igniter rod for any cracks . If there's any cracks , that igniter should be replaced , as the crack could allow the spark to 'short' before it gets to the tip of the rod . 

Hopefully that^ all makes sense . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

In my experience, it sounds like your water heater is not sensing the flame after the propane lights. Your description of the symptom fits that exactly. In most cases the fix is to replace the ignitor probe. They usually cost about $20 +/-. 

A brief explanation of what happens is that the same probe that supplies the spark is then monitored by the circuit board for a very small voltage that will be returned to the circuit board when the flame contacts the probe if all is working properly. The voltage is so small (measured in micro-volts) that most of us do not own a meter that can detect it, but it is there. Several things can prevent that voltage from being detected. It is possible that it is just a poor connection and that if you clean the contact where the probe attaches to the circuit board well, it may work again, at least for a while. Another thing that sometimes causes the voltage to not be detected is for the ceramic insulator of the probe to have a tiny crack that is filled with carbon and shorts out that voltage, or it may have failed and no longer supply that return voltage. 

Whatever you do, do no use a small wie o clean the gas jet because it will probably be damaged by doing so. If that jet looks dirty clean it with alcohol and do not use anything that is abrasive on it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

42 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Whatever you do, do no use a small wie o clean the gas jet because it will probably be damaged by doing so. If that jet looks dirty clean it with alcohol and do not use anything that is abrasive on it. 

According to that^ , I must have ruined every jet I've ever cleaned with a fine wire . And , That would be a lot more than you could count . 

But , you know something ? Not a single one was ever damaged by my 'wiring' . ;)

Like anything else in life , just be careful and use a bit of common sense . You'll do fine . :)

Goes around , comes around .

Assuming you have an Atwood water heater, disconnect power, unplug the wiring harness from the potted control board, remove board, use pencil eraser to clean the control board contacts and clean plug contacts.

I experienced this last fall, it took cleaning the contacts 2X before a solid contact was made. Atwood troubleshooting

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I seem to have had a bad mother board. But I do need to look into cleaning out those things you guys mentioned. Thanks again for the comments.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

Before you lay out the money for a new control board,(not returnable) have yours tested. You see a picture of the test module in the service manual I linked. I would think most any RV  repair shop will have one.

I was ready to buy a control board from Amazon until a friend sent me the service manual; saved me $90 by having the old one tested.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I had it tested and it was told to me to be bad and the new board works so I guess Im back on the road. Thanks again for suggestions.