1976 Kenworth K100 RV in Washington State

flipper88

Howdy everyone,

I recently picked up an old Cabover k100 that needs some work. Its got a 290 10 speed in it and runs and drives great. I recently had it reclassified as a motor home here in Washington State. Below is what the Washington State DOL says on the matter. 

"Motor homes converted from a van, truck, or truck/tractor unit

A van, truck, or truck/tractor unit may be licensed with the Motor Home Use Type if the vehicle meets the legal description of a motor home and is exclusively used for recreation.

Drivers should post a sign stating "Not for Hire" on the side of their rig to signal law enforcement that they aren't in violation of commercial vehicle requirements. They will still need to stop at weigh stations.

What is a motorhome?

A vehicle designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitations. This means there must be a lodging with cooking or sewage disposal enclosed within a solid body shell. (A camper or unit constructed separately and affixed to a vehicle does not qualify as a motor home.)"

So as long as it has a sleeper, and either a place to cook or a place to use the restroom (portable stoves and toilets are accepted) you can convert it to a motorhome which will lift any CDL or air break restrictions it has. I have a Coleman stove in the tool box and will be ordering not for hire stickers soon. As long as I don't use it to make money it is legal and anyone can drive it. 

Yes and No. I wont ever drive out of state, and here in Washington they have some scales that are driven by weight, which this will never weigh enough to be required to stop. And some scales that require all trucks to stop. I will stop at those and provide my registration that has it identified as a motor home. I will also provide the receipt for the stove so they know one has been purchased. I will inform them that this is a privately owned coach, as stated on the cab which says not for hire. And I am not using it for any commercial or money making purposes. I would rather play it safe than get stopped for not stopping. Because that would be a guaranteed ticket. 

Registered my Volvo in Washington State back in 2005. The signage and stopping at scale language was not in the statutes back then. Your information is worded like a information brochure and not the actual RCW. May want to see the actual  statute.

In all my travel around Washington I have stopped at a scale only once and they didn't want to see me at all. I was chased once bobtailed by the Bow Hill station personal and once they saw registration and rv hitch sent me away. I asked him about stopping at scales and was told not to.

This has been my personal experience in that state,  yours may be different. 

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

49 minutes ago, scubadave said:

Registered my Volvo in Washington State back in 2005. The signage and stopping at scale language was not in the statutes back then. Your information is worded like a information brochure and not the actual RCW. May want to see the actual  statute.

In all my travel around Washington I have stopped at a scale only once and they didn't want to see me at all. I was chased once bobtailed by the Bow Hill station personal and once they saw registration and rv hitch sent me away. I asked him about stopping at scales and was told not to.

This has been my personal experience in that state,  yours may be different. 

I have yet to stop at a scale house with my RV. The information above is pulled directly off of the Washington Department of Licencing website. I have searched the RCW's and have found no section on scales and tractors that have been converted to motor homes. The RCW 46.04.305 states the definition of a motor home which is word for word what is listed on their website. Until I have further experience I will do as directed from the DOL. The chances of me ever hitting a scale are going to be very slim. But I want to be prepared when I need to. 

I take it back. RCW 46.44.105 states "However, unladen tow trucks regardless of weight and farm vehicles carrying farm produce with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or less (26,000 pounds or less) may fail or refuse to stop at a weighing station when proper traffic control signs indicate scales are open."

Am I considered at "tow truck"? the definition of a "Tow Truck" according to RCW 46.55 states "Tow truck" means a motor vehicle that is equipped for and used in the business of towing vehicles with equipment as approved by the state patrol."

The problem with that is that I am not using it for business. I do have a dozer bed but its not specifically designed for carrying vehicles such as cars and trucks. Things get grey enough I think my best bet is to stop and see for myself. 

I would think that by now, that tranny would know which gear comes next, and with a gentle nudge, almost shift itself.  

Don't mind the tachometer, shift by ear and feel.  All of a sudden, you'll find yourself not even thinking about it.

BTW, nice looking truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'm sure the truck knows what to do, its me that is the weak link in shifting. The Tach actually doesn't work. Its a running driving restoration project. 

I'm solid floating the gears through the first 5. Then I get to the high range 5 I find myself clutching when i shift. And down shifting is a whole other issue haha I'm sure ill get the hang of it! 

I remember those days.....   On the speedo/tach, if it's cable you'll have a hard time finding someone w/ the tool to square the ends. I used to take mine out, clean them off & lube, that's a L O N G ways to keep from breaking.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:43 PM, noteven said:

Don’t be skeered to double clutch 😀

You still got to match your speed to rpm's. My old Cat with a 13 speed pushing a million miles likes to be double clutched. The old Cat is slow to respond so the clutch really helps or you would be kinda forcing it even outa gear.

Nice K100. Congratulations on getting it registered as a motor home. We are currently in search of a W900B with a 72 inch sleeper to convert to a motor home in Washington State and am very interested in how the registration is accomplished. Did you have to take it in to the Washington State Patrol to be inspected? Do you have to go to a specific office for the paperwork or do you just go to your local licensing agency? Do you know if they accept a microwave as a cooking device? I am also curious if you need both a cooking device and a portable toilet or if you can have just one of the two as the Department of Licencing states on their website. Sorry for so many questions. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row when the perfect truck pops up.

20 hours ago, kswrmk said:

Nice K100. Congratulations on getting it registered as a motor home. We are currently in search of a W900B with a 72 inch sleeper to convert to a motor home in Washington State and am very interested in how the registration is accomplished. Did you have to take it in to the Washington State Patrol to be inspected? Do you have to go to a specific office for the paperwork or do you just go to your local licensing agency? Do you know if they accept a microwave as a cooking device? I am also curious if you need both a cooking device and a portable toilet or if you can have just one of the two as the Department of Licencing states on their website. Sorry for so many questions. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row when the perfect truck pops up.

It was really easy. I just went to my local licensing office. You need to have a declaration or statement of fact filled out saying that you have installed the necessary items to make it a motor home in Washington state. The form can be gotten in the office or downloaded online. And to answer your question it just has to have one or the other in regards to cooking and restroom facilities. A microwave is approved. All i have is a gas stove in the tool box. I didn't need to have a Washington state inspection or even have it weighed on a scale. In fact when i went to them the truck had not had current registration in many many years. It was all done in less than 15 minutes. Not every dol is going to be well versed in this process as its not common. I had to do a little bit of gentle education to move my process along but they were very accommodating. Where do you live? If you are close I can direct you to the office I used where it was a breeze. And like Dan412 said, the only thing they asked for was the length. 

uazQKzkl.jpg

Edited by flipper88

3 hours ago, kswrmk said:

Thanks for all the information Flipper88. I really appreciate it. I currently live in rural south east King County. Was your truck purchased in state or out of state?

We are not too far away,  I am in Graham. Might be a bit of a drive but I would recommend gong to EZ licensing and title on 224th and mountain hwy. Seeing how I just did mine there very smoothly they would remember how to do everything. I purchased my truck in State although it didn't have current registration. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help. 

Graham is a short drive. I may have to stop in to talk with them to see if they can overnight license plates and registration anywhere in the country. I was also going to stop in to my local agency as well to see if they are familiar with the process.  I will most likely be purchasing the truck out of state due to limited local availability. Thanks so much for all your help. I look forward to seeing how your project comes along.