LP Compartment Redesign

Red Crewzer

I am having the propane tank removed from my bus (2008 Allegro Bus QRP) as it is no linger needed (all electric now). I believe this may have been covered before, but can not find anything about it. What I am attempting to do is make this into a storage compartment for miscellaneous things (blocks, hoses, etc). I'm thinking a wood floor and may be wood sides or maybe sheet metal sides. I know I need to add some framing around the one side and back, along with working around the jack leg in one corner. Did not plan to cover the top as my slide out drive shaft extends into the that compartment. Looking for any suggestions for this design, ie: using wood (treated plywood), sheet metal, framing (steel or aluminum)? The door does not have a lock in the handle, but the compartment for my hydraulic pump does, so thought I could switch them. The locking handle one is not electronic, but maybe I could add that later. If you have done this to your coach, sharing of pictures would a be help.

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

I haven't done that but see no reason that you can't do so. I would not use wood because even treated wood is likely to degrade over time. I think that I would prefer to use aluminum at least for the framework to support everything. I might look into the issue of dissimilar metals before doing this, if you know someone with metallurgy knowledge. Do you have access to any of the structural members that support the existing storage bays? If so you may want to study them and how they are assembled. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To add to Kirk's metallurgy comment, use this galvanic action table to determine what metal is best to enclose that compartment. https://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

From the chart,  plain steel and aluminum are quite compatible.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961