Drivers license documents

drjenk

Hi,

We've gone through the process of signing up for escapees mail service and have secured a South Dakota "home" address and a TX mailing address.

On the guide for getting a drivers license in the state of South Dakota, it says:

"Bring proof of your residential address:

1. Residency Affidavit
  2. Campground/RV park receipt or hotel/motel receipt
  3. One document (not more than one year old) proving your personal mailbox (PMB) address. Escapees Mail Service members will receive an email with the South Dakota address."

So for #3, what documents would be acceptable?  Would a voters registration card be acceptable?  What has worked for anyone going through this process?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Danandfreda said:

Dre you positive the receipt has to be from the county that pmb is in? I just talked to dmv and they said we could go to any of them to get dL. I guess I just assumed it had to be in the state and be less than a year old

My understanding is that the "county rule" mattered when some counties used to enforce it relative to voter registration.  When we switched to YourBestAdrress two years ago when MyDakotaAddress folded, I was told that in order to register to vote I'd have to show a CG receipt from Minnehaha County.  Subsequently, that requirement was dropped.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Ah, yes. That's me being out of date again. But, back when we were registering in SD you didn't even need a receipt with your name on it. A receipt, yes, but no names. Change is the only constant in life.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When we first registered in South Dakota, using Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls (now a different name), we were able to do everything except register to vote.  Why?  Because, unknown to us, was the fact that the RV park we'd chosen to stay at was not in Minnehaha County.  We had to move to a different RV park before we could register to vote.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 months later...

So we just called the licensing place, the message said we need "2 documents showing residential address".  I assume this is any mail received perhaps?  I haven't received any mail at this address because we haven't gone through any of the domicile procedures, so kind of a catch 22 situation.  I guess I could have someone mail me anything at our Box Elder address, such as a post card or such?

You can either mail yourself a couple of thing quickly, or you bring the DPS folks a copy of the mail forwarding contract you have.  That's how we've handled it.

If you do choose to bring pieces of mail make sure that they have dated postmarks or meter cancellations.  If it is mail that uses a printed postage permit without a cancellation date, it can't be used.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels