Off topic. Exploding fire ring rocks

runaway parents

Several years ago we went on a wilderness survival camp out  it was to teach boy scouts how to survive in the wilderness with minimal equipment. The kids set up several fire rings that night were several rocks exploded sending rock fragments every where. We had holes burnt in tents and  sleeping bags. Some body asked me if they used river rocks and told me that could of been the cause. No there was no rivers in the area fore miles. Lots of shail and basalt. I am not a rock expert  but what would cause this? Moisture in the rocks? I am sure there is a rock expert out there that can explain to me what kind of rock makes for a safe fire ring that will not explode

17 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

Several years ago we went on a wilderness survival camp out  it was to teach boy scouts how to survive in the wilderness with minimal equipment. The kids set up several fire rings that night were several rocks exploded sending rock fragments every where. We had holes burnt in tents and  sleeping bags. Some body asked me if they used river rocks and told me that could of been the cause. No there was no rivers in the area fore miles. Lots of shail and basalt. I am not a rock expert  but what would cause this? Moisture in the rocks? I am sure there is a rock expert out there that can explain to me what kind of rock makes for a safe fire ring that will not explode

Good description here.  Had it happen with sandstone at Boy Scout campout.

https://www.hunker.com/12397976/rocks-that-explode-around-fire-pits

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Good description here.  Had it happen with sandstone at Boy Scout campout.

https://www.hunker.com/12397976/rocks-that-explode-around-fire-pits

This makes a lot of sense . It was definitely cold . there was snow on the ground in places. talk about duck and cover. when these rocks went off ,they sent pieces flying threw the air 2 inches in diameter.  Had one land on my sleeping bag burned a 3 inch hole in it .

Most any kind of rock will do so, epecially if it is cold and then 'super heated' with a fire in the center.  Even granite will explode, all it takes is a bit of water in any crevice and you have a bomb.    I would recommend some good solid pieces of steel instead.

if you absolutely need to use rock, make sure to dirt piled up on the inside area of the ring to protect the rocks, you want it about a foot thick, that should help reduce explosions.  I'd place sod on the outside to be safe as well.