What Navigation Tools Do you Use?

Boutdone

In the past I have used Garmin 550 and Nav V, none of which are without problems. I have a iPhone 7 but the screen is too small for me while driving no matter what app I use. strongly considering a Samsung galaxy tab 4 exclusively for navigation purposes and mounted on the dash. the question is, which map app? I have been told to try google maps but thought posting here would be invaluable considering I went to do boondocking 90-95% of the time. any help and direction would be most appreciated.

We have a Garmin dezl 560 we used in our RVs. We also stopped at the visitor center of each new state to pick up a state highway map. Since we are no longer RVing we want to sell the Garmin. We are still updating the lifetime maps to keep that feature current but otherwise the unit is sitting on a closet shelf. I like the unit but since Dave now does all our driving and we are not traveling outside the metro area we have no need for it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We use Google maps on laptops . We plan a route prior to leaving . Pat writes the turns on a sheet , just in case I have a laps of memory . 

That's it . No GPS or whatever . Dang things get more folks lost than if they were blind .

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

I use Copilot on an iPad mounted to the dash of my rig.  The app works well and the RV version of the app allows you to set parameters for the size of your rig to help avoid low bridges/tunnels, etc.  I have been very happy with it while traveling.

I also use google maps for checking out routes and to get aerial views of locations.  The combination has never steered me wrong yet and I have a pretty big rig when I am running down the road so that is important to me.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Google Maps for planning (setting parameters) and Garmin RV760 in the truck (with parameters set for the rig). I particularly like the fact that I can give the Garmin voice commands and find the distance to truck stops up ahead (to compare to the fuel range in the instrument cluster), rest stops, etc. The combo works very well for us.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 1 month later...

I Use the long dead 2012 DeLorme Street Atlas to navigate on a laptop computer, the road net hasn't changed that much especially on major roads. The computer has a much larger screen, I have a laptop stand for the truck which works very well. Plus since I'm using Visible the laptop has internet access. I haven't figured out how to get googlemaps to recognize the GPS puck for real time navigation.

The S&T is hardly perfect but it's the best available now days since all the software navigation companies gave up. You need to apply real world knowledge to S&T since it can route you into bad places.  I use RV Trip Wizard for planning, also not perfect but pretty good once you adjust to it's many quirks.