Drill Water Pump for Potable Water

SWharton

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Never heard of the Jiggler pump before but interesting, wouldn't do us any good. we need a pump as we are going from low to high.

Also, none of them say for potable water. Keep the ideas coming though.

Kirk, Do you know of some other sort of small pump that would work rather than a drill pump. We don;t want to break the bank, this is just for backup.

An RV 12V on demand pump with alligator clips to go to coach or truck batteries.  Can use it as a spare for the RV or to do water transfer.  Could also rig up some plumbing to use the existing pump to do the same job, without buying anything else but a few fittings and hose.

Marcel

We carry a spare RV pump with alligator clips to move water from the 100 gallon tank on the HDT.  We also sometimes carry a 55 gallon barrel to add to our supply and have a different intake for that.  It is a pex pipe long enough to reach the bottom of the barrel.  The screw on intake allows for easy change over to what ever.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I'm going to assume you're wanting to put fresh water in your holding tank?  If so, at the risk of being Captain Obvious, couldn't you just use your existing pump and draw the water in through the winterizing hose?  Then use another hose to run from a faucet to the water tank?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

This is what I carried and used when we owned 5ers:https://www.harborfreight.com/12V-DC-Transfer-Pump-290-GPH-63324.html

Steel pump head, approved for drinking water and almost anything else liquid.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

As suggested, we use our onboard pump to fill the tank from non-shore hookups. All it takes is turn two valves, stick the already attached hose in the jug, and turn on the pump. Nothing to set up or hook up...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dutch, I don't rig is set up that way. Winterization doesn't flow into water tank and I don't feel like replumbing.

One thing I find interesting is that nothing that has been recommended or that I looked at says for potable water. I even looked at Flojet and their RV pump doesn't say for potable water. Puzzled.

Do you have a valve that's used to fill the tank from the city water connection? I turn my valve to "Fill", and then turn the 3-port valve I added at the pump inlet to the "Suction" port that has a hose attached. If I was winterizing, I just wouldn't switch the valve to "Fill".

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

14 hours ago, SWharton said:

Dutch, I don't rig is set up that way. Winterization doesn't flow into water tank and I don't feel like replumbing.

One thing I find interesting is that nothing that has been recommended or that I looked at says for potable water. I even looked at Flojet and their RV pump doesn't say for potable water. Puzzled.

Some  people go to a farm supply store to buy a replacement 12v water pump, much cheaper for the exact model number, than an RV store.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I use one like this: https://www.go2marine.com/Rule-Inline-Submersible-Pumps-200-to-500-gph-12-volt

The difference is that I bought mine with a garden hose fitting attached, so I just screw my RV fill hose onto the pump, drop the pump in my 5 gallon collapsible totes (as the pump is the perfect diameter to fit inside the fill hose) and plug the pump into a cigarette lighter 12v  receptacle. In about a minute it pumps 5 gallons from the trunk of my car into my rv tank. 3 minutes and I can transfer 15 gallons from the trunk of my toad up to my fresh tank without any lifting.  Mine is an older 360 gph model they don't make anymore. If I were going to get a new one it would upgrade to the new 500 GPH (8 GPM) model.

Chip

Edited by sushidog

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 11:26 AM, sushidog said:

I use one like this: https://www.go2marine.com/Rule-Inline-Submersible-Pumps-200-to-500-gph-12-volt

The difference is that I bought mine with a garden hose fitting attached, so I just screw my RV fill hose onto the pump, drop the pump in my 5 gallon collapsible totes (as the pump is the perfect diameter to fit inside the fill hose) and plug the pump into a cigarette lighter 12v  receptacle. In about a minute it pumps 5 gallons from the trunk of my car into my rv tank. 3 minutes and I can transfer 15 gallons from the trunk of my toad up to my fresh tank without any lifting.  Mine is an older 360 gph model they don't make anymore. If I were going to get a new one it would upgrade to the new 500 GPH (8 GPM) model.

Chip

Check Amazon for - "12Volt inline submersible pump"  (or "water"pumps) - many, many choices - including the Rule brand at 280 gph for $28.47

The OP (or buyer) would have to decide how to apply "potable" to the choices, as many are intended for a variety of fluids.  (Apparently one is stainless steel). 

IMO - the pumps utilized in RV applications are "nothing special" - could just as easily be for decorative fountains, etc. For me it would be "sanitize and use".

If you are considering an inline Rule pump, the manual says, "For drinking water applications sterilize regularly." I just let the water run out of mine, for it to dry between uses. I've been using mine since 2007 with no problems.

https://www.boatid.com/images/flojet/items/pdf/slimline-pumps-guide.pdf

The best price I've found on the 500 GPH Rule (Flojet) pump ($48.97 including an attached hose) is here: https://www.boatid.com/flojet/500-gph-in-line-and-submersible-pump-mpn-il500p.html?view=595745&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrriTyoDi5wIVDdbACh3scgy_EAkYAyABEgJBifD_BwE

They will just fit inside the opening of a Coleman 5 gal collapsible water carrier like these: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000014870-Water-Carrier-Gal/dp/B000088O9Y/ref=asc_df_B000088O9Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194884170462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6346778682680760514&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026481&hvtargid=pla-310752838282&psc=1

Chip

Sehc, I like that your pump is self priming up to 4 ft of lift. That's why I went with a submersible pump so I don't have to worry about priming. But at 1.2 GPM it sure would take a long time to transfer an appreciable volume of water.

A few months ago I stayed at an Indian owned RV park (and I use the term loosely) by Canyon De Chelly. To get water there, they had a large water tank that I had to use to fill my portable water containers, pump into my RV and complete the process 6 times to fill my RV tank. With my little 5 GPM pump, the process took about 45 minutes. It would have taken me a couple hours if I only had a 1.2 GPM pump, which is why I'm now looking at upgrading to their 8 GPM pump.  

Edited by sushidog