Hdt driveway material?

Exile

I need to put in a couple hundred feet of driveway back to my hdt garage, and i’m not wild about putting in concrete.  I have a lot of it already in other places  

The soil is pretty soft, it rained 2” and the contractor got his tractor stuck in my yard.  Had to get a wrecker to pull it out. 

I’ve thought about those concrete blocks that let grass grow through, or pavers, with just a concrete apron in front of the building  

i can’t build it up too high, because the drainage will need to go down the driveway 

any recommendations/suggestions/opinions?

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I removed the top 6" of top soil here.  Then put down 33C or limestone base. Wet it down, and it set up about like concrete. I have so far put down 275 ton's.

It was like your talking about, but now its solid. Backed the kenworth back to the camper last week. And did not leave any tracks. Before the Kubota would about get stuck. I did have to wait until last summer to put the rock down.

Also you can out down a fabric then rock over that. But need to remove the top layer first. We have put new hwy's trough swamps. Using that fabric, then rock.

event.png

Different areas used different rock but here in Western Colorado we use road base.  Depending on what is required it comes in rock size of 3/4" up to 3".  If it is a soft area I put down 6" or more of 3" then 11/2" and if desired top it with 3/4".  If needed you may need to scrape out some of the existing material. Our road base sets up like concrete and it is approved for structural fill.  The engineer we have hired for our new house called for 500 yards under it.  That's  going to hurt!

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Pete's got the answer. Geotextile under the base layer will make a huge difference in the ability of the road to carry weight, especially when wet. Saves a small fortune on fill material, too.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I use these nds geogrids in my horse stalls and they are plastic grids that you put down and fill will gravel or dirt and they are specifically made for parking trucks on, they work pretty well. there are plenty of brands but nds Is the brand I could get locally shipping was the killer.

Before you do any thing have a compaction test and soil analyzed   if you don't soil might have bio matter in it at first your drive way will perfect as the bio mater decays it will leave pot holes and low spots in your drive way. Whether you use geo textile or not. it is just like building a house  your road (or house )is only as good as its foundation.

10 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Re-cycled concrete works well to, so long as they don't leave steel in it.

Lol, getting rid of a 18x24 slab right now, maybe i just need to jackhammer it into tiny pieces. Should only take two weeks. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Something else that might work. If you know anyone that works around a gravel pit,Coal,grain. I have used old belts off conveyors. These belts are thick like a mudflap. And some I have gotten. Can be 3 ft wide,and I put these down after removing the topsoil. Then rock on top of those. Never has settled and its been 15 years.

event.png

A few years ago I built a 250 foot road over a very wet section of mountain property.  I ordered Pit Run which is a combination of very large rocks and smaller rocks.  At first I thought the large rocks were crazy to large but later I found they made the foundation of the road.  If you just build the road with small road base the material will get pushed into the soil and you will be putting down rocks forever.  Top off your road with lime or road base either crushed concrete or asphalt.  Good luck, the dump truck also did get stuck and bad; it got pulled out with a 1-ton pickup.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here