Help needed to access DOT coding for tire age on dual tires

Widowds

Anyone with any suggestion for accessing the DOT date code which is hidden between each set of dual tires?  

I have an appointment for the smartweigh program and one of the requested bits of information is the DOT date code of the tires.  I have the front tires codes - no problems.  Both sets of duals are mounted so the code is hidden between the tires.  I really don't want to even consider removing the outside two tires but that seems to be the only way I can get the info.  I tried putting my phone on a selfie stick and putting it between the tires but the images are just too blurred to even determine where the code is exactly.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

I use a small borescope inspection camera with a 90° mirror attachment that connects to my phone in that situation. It focuses down to a fraction of an inch for a clear picture and has LED lighting if needed. Since I can't get the entire code in one view, I either take multiple views or use the video mode to pan the code. The front tires should give you a good idea of where the code is located on the sidewalls.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Of course, there is no guarantee that the tires were mounted exactly the same way, and even then, the left and right sides will travel different distances, so that you can't guess where the date code will be when you go look.

I'm wondering, though, how it happens that the date code is between the tires. Usually at least the outer tire will be mounted so the date code is to the outside. I wonder if whoever was installing the tires did it deliberately?

One low-tech way of getting the information is to do a rubbing. First, figure out about where the date code ought to be in relation to what you can see. Assuming that all tires are the same brand and model, your front tires will be your guides. Then tape a piece of plain paper over the area where the date code is, making sure that the tape is away from the target area. Use the side of a regular pencil lead to gently rub the target area. With a little luck, you will be able to read the date code when you take the paper out.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

14 minutes ago, Sehc said:

The date code is only required on one side. The date must be changed every week and it can be dangerous to do the "top half" of a hot tire mold.

Correct.  I've spent a fair amount of time searching for tire date codes.

One way to read codes which are hidden would be to use something like Play-Doh to make a reverse cast.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hey!  This is widowds again.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have actually been following and noting them all.  It has been really rainy and so far I haven't been successful at getting the codes off the tires hopefully because I haven't put much effort into the quest with all the rain.  But the weather should be better tomorrow and the next few days and I will be out there trying.  I will let you all know how it goes.  Sorry I didn't let you know I was seeing your suggestions.  It sure is nice to have people who take their time to respond.  Again Thanks!

I keep a used women's compact in my toolbox.  With a long screwdriver, some tape, a flashlight, and a little imagination, you can make an angled mirror to slip between the tires.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I GOT IT!  Thanks for all your suggestions!  Now I have the info and I am pleased as the four rear tires are 2016 tires manufactured in the 33rd week.  BUT I need 2 new front tires.  They were manufactured in the 38th week of 2013.  Trying to determine the best tires to replace those with.  The rear are Goodyear Endurance 245 70R 195 load range H.  Currently the front are Goodyear G670 of the same size but load range G.  I was thinking TOYO, but am not near where I was quoted on that tire last summer and haven't located the correct size locally yet.

You may want to consider going to one of the states with no sales tax to replace the tires. When we had our class A, I ran Goodyear G670 tires with very good service. I am a little bit concerned about your rear tires as the Goodyear Endurance tires are designed for trailers, not a motorhome. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk W, I appreciate your concern.  I didn't give you all the info.  It is A Goodyear Endurance RSA tire which is indeed a truck tire recommended for a steer tire with a secondary application of  a drive tire.  I had not thought about going to a state without sales tax.  Very good thought.  Thanks

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 4:15 PM, rickeieio said:

I keep a used women's compact in my toolbox.  With a long screwdriver, some tape, a flashlight, and a little imagination, you can make an angled mirror to slip between the tires.  

Four got to have in my tool box items. Extendable mirror-extendable magnet and a stethoscope and headband flashlight.

Yep, I have all those and more, although, some are in a "frugal" form.  The compact mirror can be fashioned into many shapes.  The stethoscope can be as simple as a long screwdriver held against the part, or a length of hose.  I'm fiscally sensitive.😄

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN