Newfound Gap Road with an HDT

Kevin & Yolanda Maksymyk

If you mean US 441 don’t  do it. Lots of switchbacks, tunnels  if I recall are 15’ center.  I live in Knoxville area and that road is beautiful but treacherous.  Where are you coming from?  That road is narrow and you’ll be in oncoming lane a lot. Plus steep descents. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

That would not be a fun drive.  Listen to Carl. (Suite Success)

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Here's a video of a motorhome driving the road. The tunnels are officially 15' 6". They were lower on the sides, but they did some repairs on them in 2001 where they widened them and lowered the roadway to give more clearance. I've driven it in my 11'9" MH. You should have plenty clearance, as I've seen 5ers on this road before. I lived in the area and used that road a lot. Lots of local traffic also use that road and they drive very fast. Coming from Cherokee to Gatlinburg, you will have a long, steep decent.  Coming from Gatlinburg to Cherokee, there's a long climb. It's a beautiful road, but steep and twisty in a couple places. I'd go back and visit it in my truck If I were you. BTW, it just opened a couple days a ago. It was closed due to ice and snow, so if you do decide to go this time of year be careful as conditions can change daily.

Chip

We have driven that road by car a few times and it IS beautiful.  Carl is right.  Just the tight switchbacks would be very unsafe pulling anything.  I didn’t even think about the low tunnels.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Ive driven that road many times with a car. I have seen semi trucks on there making local deliveries. Short single axle with short trailers.  Shouldn't be a problem if you pay attention. We have never taken the truck there,  Jen has a cabin in Pigeon forge so we leave the camper at a friends place in Kentucky.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

We go to pigeon forge often. I would plan on coming in the east side by the bush baked bean plant. (I don't remember the road number) It's simply more big rig friendly. the gps will send you through the back end of your own behind, on roads that will not make you very happy. Where are you staying? Unless you are driving newfound gap at night, I would not do it in a 5er. There is simply not enough room to dodge the oncoming cars with a trailer of any length.

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Ive driven that road many times with a car. I have seen semi trucks on there making local deliveries. Short single axle with short trailers.  Shouldn't be a problem if you pay attention. We have never taken the truck there,  Jen has a cabin in Pigeon forge so we leave the camper at a friends place in Kentucky.

Jon,

I’ve also driven that road many times.  He’s 73 ft.  That’s not short.  The pullouts to handle that length are few and far between.  Going around the circle or some of those switchbacks will require both lanes.  Overheat brakes, blowout, etc. and that road is closed.  You are going to have some very angry tourists since the majority of traffic is itinerant.  Yes an experienced driver could do it, just saying don’t (my honest opinion and no disrespect to you Jon.)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

20 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Jon,

I’ve also driven that road many times.  He’s 73 ft.  That’s not short.  The pullouts to handle that length are few and far between.  Going around the circle or some of those switchbacks will require both lanes.  Overheat brakes, blowout, etc. and that road is closed.  You are going to have some very angry tourists since the majority of traffic is itinerant.  Yes an experienced driver could do it, just saying don’t (my honest opinion and no disrespect to you Jon.)

I over looked his over all length. You are right about that. FYI legal in Tenn. is 65 ft.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

I over looked his over all length. You are right about that. FYI legal in Tenn. is 65 ft.

Most of us hauling a smart with a long trailer understand the risks. I am lucky to have a short trailet so I am only 64 feet and 48 inches long

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime