Beds of new pickups are really tall

remoandiris

Totally agree, the sides are getting taller.  Putting my hitch down placing the camper close to the sides, I am still a little nose high, both my axles are also flipped.  There's no way I will tow with very little side clearance.  I am toying with removing my bed and putting a flat bed on.  That would give me all the room I need, might look funny as heck on a mega cab.... LOL, but it is what it is.  For some states, would probably change my truck status to commercial?  So far it has not caused me many problems, I just need to be careful on uneven ground.  I wonder if there's a way to lower my truck a couple inches without affecting ride/weight?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

When I towed with a pickup ran into same issue. I installed a western style bed and it looked great. Tool boxs big plus also. I will add weight to rear axle also. Need to figure on that.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

A949E9AD-4B61-4942-8EEA-D4B422C35A5E.jpeg.13ff926e2a4300cba2a3a877da27fd97.jpeg

Howdy!

My lovey wife decided she wanted a new truck last year after having one problem after another on our trip to Alaska and back. When I started looking at them I didn’t even consider a factory pickup bed. I went back to 2L customs and got a deal couldn’t turn down on a new Chevrolet 3500 LTZ 2L custom hauler loaded up. Only one thing that matter and that was my LW was happy with the new truck.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

8 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Totally agree, the sides are getting taller.  Putting my hitch down placing the camper close to the sides, I am still a little nose high, both my axles are also flipped.  There's no way I will tow with very little side clearance.  I am toying with removing my bed and putting a flat bed on.  That would give me all the room I need, might look funny as heck on a mega cab.... LOL, but it is what it is.  For some states, would probably change my truck status to commercial?  So far it has not caused me many problems, I just need to be careful on uneven ground.  I wonder if there's a way to lower my truck a couple inches without affecting ride/weight?

I changed the rear axle blocks on my '17 F350 to those from an F250.  That lowered the rear end to roughly level (unloaded).  That 1.5 inch change allowed me to raise my AUH to the highest setting - giving me 7+ inches of bed rail clearance - without increasing the overall height of the fiver.  I don't know if other brands can be lowered as simply.  

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

I might have to check on that, but my springs are leaf springs, I'm pretty sure the 2500s are coil springs.  I don't know for sure but I will check.  I know they sell front end leveling blocks to raise the front end ~2.5 inches for a RAM 3500.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On a Ford, no need to change axles.  The difference is the spacer block between the axle and the spring pack.  I used the F-250 spacer in my last two F-350s to male it easier to access the toolbox.  In fact, back when I had super duties (1999-2006), the only difference between the 250 and 350 was that block, and one overload leaf.  Brakes, axles, tires, etc. all the same.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

On a Ford, no need to change axles.  The difference is the spacer block between the axle and the spring pack.  I used the F-250 spacer in my last two F-350s to male it easier to access the toolbox.  In fact, back when I had super duties (1999-2006), the only difference between the 250 and 350 was that block, and one overload leaf.  Brakes, axles, tires, etc. all the same.

Here rick I found the lid to “the door sticker ratings” can of worms quick put it back on 🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, that's exactly what I did.  Both the F250 and F350 have leaf springs and only the spacer block between the spring and the axle needs to be changed.  Lowering the rear end that 1.5 inches made all the difference for my setup.  The RV is level and I have plenty of bed rail clearance.

Why the truck manufacturers decided to make their bed rails taller, I'll never understand.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

This article about lowering a Ford F250 may be an interesting read.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I think the good ole boys out in north Carolina have come up with a solution for your problem.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=carlolina+squat

That crap didn't come from NC.... But the closer I get to California the more of it I see...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

12 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

That crap didn't come from NC.... But the closer I get to California the more of it I see...

We saw that in the 80s when stationed in Phoenix, the closer we drove to komifornia, the more we saw.

If you add a long travel suspension to your pick up for desert work they sit up in the front. The box floor is opened up in the rear for wheel travel. No room up front so liftage is applied.

Desert racers

Good for soaking up freeway bridge decks, RR “level crossings” , and “frost heaves.”

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 7:29 AM, NDBirdman said:

We saw that in the 80s when stationed in Phoenix, the closer we drove to komifornia, the more we saw.

Call Kali whatever you like.....

..... the CHP will be more than happy to issue formal "Greetings" to the operators of  the vehicles in the photos, ROTFL

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 6:43 PM, Hill_Country said:

Why the truck manufacturers decided to make their bed rails taller, I'll never understand.

When I measured and compared the "inside bed height" of our 2001 Super Duty to our 2017 Super Duty there was very little difference. What is different, on the 17 - up Super Duty's anyway, is that the frame is an 1 1/2" taller boxed frame. 

Safe travels. 😊

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

It is not just the beds being higher.  These newer trucks are all 4 wheel drive and have off road packages which makes the whole truck higher.

I do not need or want a 4 wheel drive and want a lower height truck.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

5 hours ago, TXiceman said:

It is not just the beds being higher.  These newer trucks are all 4 wheel drive and have off road packages which makes the whole truck higher.

I do not need or want a 4 wheel drive and want a lower height truck.

Ken

Can you give us an example of a truck that's only available in 4wd?  Other than some special edition, I believe all are offered in 2wd.  And the off road packages are optional, extra cost too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

28 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I bought a 2019 Ford Superduty in 2WD.  As far as I know every manufacturer continues to produce 2WD trucks. They simply aren't as popular, and therefore not as common, as the 4WD trucks. 

I think it's location dependent.  I bought a new pickup in Colorado and the dealer told me they don't even get 2 wheel drive trucks in for sale.  However, in Southeast Texas, probably one in ten on the lot is 4 wheel drive.

I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of new pickups sold are 4 wheel drive.  I'd guess it's well below 50%.  A Bing search didn't give me the answer.

If I'm not mistaken, Chevy 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive are the same bed height.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

20 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I think it's location dependent.  I bought a new pickup in Colorado and the dealer told me they don't even get 2 wheel drive trucks in for sale.  However, in Southeast Texas, probably one in ten on the lot is 4 wheel drive.

I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of new pickups sold are 4 wheel drive.  I'd guess it's well below 50%.  A Bing search didn't give me the answer.

If I'm not mistaken, Chevy 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive are the same bed height.

I can see Colorado not stocking any 2WD pickups due to snow and ice concerns.  But I know one could be ordered if desired. 

In the area where I bought my truck (Texas Hill Country) I'd wager that 80+% of pick-ups are 4WD.  Not because everyone needs or uses it, but because it is "the thing to have". I know several folks with 4WD trucks that have never even put them into 4WD.

Dealers will tell you that resale on a 2WD truck is lower, but so is the initial cost, I've not had any problem at all selling my last two trucks (1999 and 2010 2WD Superduties).  As always, different strokes...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels